Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Founding member
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know I'm not the only Veteran that visits War Memorials in order to honor those that have served and pay Respect to those who have paid the ultimate price for our Freedom. There are many big Memorials across this great Nation and I enjoy stopping at them...

But there are also many that are smaller Memorials for Veterans lost in accidents on Motorcycles. I know of two within 20 miles of my home in Central Kansas and I visit those Brothers on occasion. It's an important thing to me...

If you know of any of these Memorials in your neck of the woods and wouldn't mind sharing the location, I for one would appreciate it. I travel often on my Chieftain and would happily stop to pay Respect... To me it's a part of the healing process.

The picture below is a Memorial to one of those Brothers and I encourage anyone who wishes to stop for a visit. His name is Carl Hendrix and he was a Combat Veteran, Father, Brother, and Good man. The Memorial is located on Highway 82 just west of Wakefield KS. There is a shot glass there which covers several coins that have been left there over the years .If you take a coin, leave a coin...

38197.jpeg
34037.jpeg

If you post a Memorial and I pass through that area, I will stop... Thanks Brothers and Sisters that share a Memorial, you are at least helping this Veteran.

·
Bronze member
1,829 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Such individual roadside memorials in New Mexico are referred to as “Descansos” which basically in Spanish means a “resting place”. You see them everywhere and it always reminds me to keep my head on a swivel when riding and never take the ride for granted but be thankful for a good and safe ride as well as to ponder the life lost by the memorial. Specifically as to Veteran’s memorials, a moving memorial in a great place to ride is the Now State of New Mexico funded Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Angel Fire, New Mexico. This memorial was started by a man who lost his son in Viet Nam in the 1960’s. Its a great mountain riding area and is very moving. I recommend it to any motorcycle rider who wants a thought provoking and emotional ride and tribute to those vets lost in that horrible politically fueled war that changed us all forever.

·
Bronze member
1,829 Posts
1AF016D8-0079-4289-B54C-89F11B9B2006.jpeg
2D448CC5-8F51-4D16-B6A9-D4D117F6D385.jpeg
BFE2CF0A-DF9B-4F36-BA85-21C59D7C6684.jpeg
102E62A2-2164-4EB5-84CE-C1E27E9E1305.jpeg
456B964D-B5F4-46D7-ABA6-FACB48BB521A.jpeg

A moving event in more ways than one. A nice 95 minute ride up to the park. Then a nice lunch and the ride back. Was nice going up, a little rain shower then hot coming back

Reactions: jdmatthew and PE4CE

·
Bronze member
1,829 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
One of these days the Marine Corps Museum.
Saturday, tomorrow, CVMA will be riding to the Norman ,Ok , Norman Veterans center; 301 bed facility. Bikes and food

·
Registered
373 Posts
I know I'm not the only Veteran that visits War Memorials in order to honor those that have served and pay Respect to those who have paid the ultimate price for our Freedom. There are many big Memorials across this great Nation and I enjoy stopping at them...

But there are also many that are smaller Memorials for Veterans lost in accidents on Motorcycles. I know of two within 20 miles of my home in Central Kansas and I visit those Brothers on occasion. It's an important thing to me...

If you know of any of these Memorials in your neck of the woods and wouldn't mind sharing the location, I for one would appreciate it. I travel often on my Chieftain and would happily stop to pay Respect... To me it's a part of the healing process.

The picture below is a Memorial to one of those Brothers and I encourage anyone who wishes to stop for a visit. His name is Carl Hendrix and he was a Combat Veteran, Father, Brother, and Good man. The Memorial is located on Highway 82 just west of Wakefield KS. There is a shot glass there which covers several coins that have been left there over the years .If you take a coin, leave a coin...

View attachment 423860 View attachment 423862

If you post a Memorial and I pass through that area, I will stop... Thanks Brothers and Sisters that share a Memorial, you are at least helping this Veteran.
I just thought of one, and it is on the famous “Three Sisters” route in the Texas hill country. The three sisters are three Texas Ranch Roads (335, 336, & 337) that is about a 100 mile loop and made the list of the top ten motorcycle roads in the USA.

Anyway, in Camp Wood TX at the city park a block north of 337 / hwy 55 intersection on Hwy 55 is a marker listing all the area residents that served in the wars. Park is also called Lindberg Park because Charles Lindberg crashed his plane there once. I’m not sure if names from after Vietnam have been added to the marker but Camp Wood only has a population of 700 so to them the marker is a big deal. My grandfather and some uncles are listed.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I know it's not a small one, but I had a chance to go to Arlington a few years back. It was an honor to throw a salute to the memory of another Texas boy, Audie Murphy. If you're ever there his stone is about 100 yards up the road and across from the Tomb of the Unknowns.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Here in norman ok, OU University, we have a Veterans Park area. Myself and dad are on the stone tablets. So is James Garner,Korean War Vet ( Purple Hearts)and many vets of all wars that served from Cleveland county.

Reactions: PE4CE

·
Registered
573 Posts
5F9D47B9-678D-49B5-A446-6DA2EDCC5EB6.jpeg
5B61923E-7921-41D0-B87E-1BE68E1CCBDA.jpeg
41D23569-17D8-404A-8491-5A67B764E56C.jpeg
Last weekend rode part of the Enchanted Circle from Taos to Red River NM to Angel Fire NM and back to Santa Fe. I stopped in the Viet Nam Vets memorial to see updated items, say a prayer and pay my deepest respects. Great ride, seriously thought provoking. Still breaks my heart to think of all the guys lost and injured in so many ways to simply saitisfy some SOB politician’s big criminal ass ego....its a bittersweet beautiful ride.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thanks for posting this. The wife and I also like to visit memorials in our travels and will keep an eye out for the veteran-motorcycle related locations.

Georgia is rich with war memories in general, from the large Georgia national cemetery to the many small-town memorials dedicated to local heroes who served. For those small town ones, generally all you need to do is find the "historic downtown" area and walk around a bit and you'll find one. There's an American Legion that has a nice outdoor memorial in Alpharetta on the northwest corner of Wills Rd and Rucker Rd. I'm always surprised at the number of people I meet who live almost on top of it and don't know it is there. You can use the address 201 Wills Rd, Alpharetta, GA 30009 to get to it on Internet maps.

I'll try to post some pictures. The problem with being married to a photographer is sometimes having too many pictures - it can be hard to find the ones you want.

Reactions: PE4CE

·
Bronze member
1,829 Posts
Here in norman ok, OU University, we have a Veterans Park area. Myself and dad are on the stone tablets. So is James Garner,Korean War Vet ( Purple Hearts)and many vets of all wars that served from Cleveland county.
When we went to the OU vs FSU game a few years back, we went to the bombing site, reflective pond, The information there by a Ranger from park service was extremely informing and sad. The whole area is done so well for a memorial. We were very moved. And then OU beat the crap out of our Noles lol

·
Founding member
787 Posts
Down here in SW Florida we now have a permanent 1/2 sized scaled model of the Wall, it's located in Punta Gorda. Whenever my thoughts go back to my time in the Nam (1968) with a Marine rifle company I sometimes ride down there by myself. Normally the place is empty or maybe 1 or 2 others there, we always sit by ourselves, with our own thoughts. Doesn't seem to be a real drawl for most folks if it's not a holiday or something. I can't believe they don't even have a Veterans Day Memorial Service there, such a disappointment. Here's me in Punta Gorda.

Russ pg.jpg

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I have that T shirt except in Red. Here in okla there is a small town that I believe has the traveling version of the wall. The city bought it when it had been used and was going to be replaced
CVMA 10-1

1 - 20 of 35 Posts