Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Vendor / bronze
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I start this thread to learn. I am not sure about what I am going to tell you. So, if you know about this please pipe in. A friend of mine rides a 2016 chieftain. He was upgrading his stereo using 4 speakers instead of 2. While he was connecting everything he removed the VCM to get to the battery which is normal. The VCM is a metal box that sits on top of your battery. He says it touched the frame of the bike via a wire he had exposed and burn a hole and made the VCM partially fail. (No lights or power windshield.) He also said the VCM got too hot to touch. If he is correct about how it happened it means the VCM box is positive hot and you have to be careful not to touch anything grounded to the box. This seem ridiculous and unlikely. I hope this is not true. I never heard of exposed positive parts in a vehicle. A new VCM cost about $600.

If you know about this please enlighten me.

·
Bronze member
2020 Roadmaster Darkhorse
1,222 Posts
Sounds likely. There are several videos on YouTube from mother ship Indian that show the ecu box and reiterate caution when working around it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I believe the Workshop manual does mention the issue of shorting the VCM to the chassy

·
Founding member
958 Posts
Always thought is was strange. That Polaris engineers in all there infinite wisdom. Put such a delicate instrument. Like the ECM right on top of the battery. Great care must be exercised. When disconnecting the battery. Positive terminal first.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Always thought is was strange. That Polaris engineers in all there infinite wisdom. Put such a delicate instrument. Like the ECM right on top of the battery. Great care must be exercised. When disconnecting the battery. Positive terminal first.
your actually suppose to disconnect negative first

Reactions: dreamalaska

·
Vendor / bronze
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't understand why you would make a bare metal box have positive charge unless they hope you short it out and have to buy a $600 new part. Cars, Boats, and bikes have always been negative for the everything except protected positive wires. (There are a few exceptions in history.) I think you have to lift the VCM box up in order to get to the battery. So I would suggest disconnecting the VCM box (some call it ECU) before you move it around.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Whenever I work around the VCM I always take a cable tie and make a loop through the bolt hole. Then I wrap the VCM in a towel and use a bungee to the handle bars to secure it out of the way. I don't think it takes much to ground it and as we all know it will commit suicide.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I don't understand why you would make a bare metal box have positive charge unless they hope you short it out and have to buy a $600 new part. Cars, Boats, and bikes have always been negative for the everything except protected positive wires. (There are a few exceptions in history.) I think you have to lift the VCM box up in order to get to the battery. So I would suggest disconnecting the VCM box (some call it ECU) before you move it around.
The box isn't positively charged. The problem is the positive terminal of the battery is right there. If you start messing around with the battery and don't be careful, it's easy to touch the box to the terminal either directly or indirectly. Sounds like your friend was hooking a wire to the positive terminal and the other end hit the VCM.

That's why the service manual specifically says remove the negative terminal first. Once that's off you can mess with the positive terminal without fear of destroying something. The manual also states not to disconnect the VCM to get at the battery, just remove the negative terminal first, and if your removing the VCM, to disconnect the negative terminal first.

Reactions: frankm

·
Vendor / bronze
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok that makes sense. I couldn't imagine the box having a positive charge. Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
The absurdity gets worse when you add page 128 of the 2016 manual page 114 of the 14 Manual that states the following about adding electrical devices to the main circuit board .....see picture....
By the way, none of the described even exists according to Indian when my mechanic called them in front of me . Is that ridiculous or what ????
Unable to post picture of manual for some reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well after reading all this I wonder if I shorted mine out on my roadmaster. Had to change battery Then cables come loose. Took out to charge and now throws fuse behind battery. Think it was vcm. Only throws when I hit starter. Lights come on, fuel primes fine. When hit starter everything goes out. Idk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts