Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the V&H 3" Twin Slash Cut round slip-on and really love the sound though I'd prefer to try and tone it down some. I have read others doing this by installing the oem quiet baffles so I ordered a set to try it out. Can you install these with the slipons on the bike or am I better off removing them? I have read that these can be a bear to install so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Any specific tools make this easier? Exhaust has only been on the bike for 1500 miles or so so hoping the installed baffles slide right out :rolleyes:.

Thanks

·
Registered
910 Posts
They’re very easy to install. Take the pipes off and remove the current baffles. Get the new baffles ready by lubing them up with wd40. Do not remove the plastic wrap that’s on the insulation. They MAY slide right in. If they do just make sure you line up the screw holes for the set screw. If they don’t you can tap them in with a rubber mallet. Just make sure the other end of your exhaust is on a soft surface. I used two folded up shop towels. The hardest part is aligning for the set screw.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They’re very easy to install. Take the pipes off and remove the current baffles. Get the new baffles ready by lubing them up with wd40. Do not remove the plastic wrap that’s on the insulation. They MAY slide right in. If they do just make sure you line up the screw holes for the set screw. If they don’t you can tap them in with a rubber mallet. Just make sure the other end of your exhaust is on a soft surface. I used two folded up shop towels. The hardest part is aligning for the set screw.
Sounds good. Thank you! 🤞

·
Registered
910 Posts
Just so that you know, they’ll be really quiet for about 20 miles. Once the plastic wrap burns off and the insulation expands they’ll be nearly as loud as the standard baffles. They really kinda just take the edge off.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just so that you know, they’ll be really quiet for about 20 miles. Once the plastic wrap burns off and the insulation expands they’ll be nearly as loud as the standard baffles. They really kinda just take the edge off.
That's actually what I am looking for. I wear a full face helmet and the constant drone is irritating me. The weird thing is it seems even more pronounced if I wear ear plugs with the helmet. I love the sound, just want to tone it down a bit.

·
Registered
910 Posts
You’ll be pleased. I hated mine after a few minutes of riding until I put the “quiet” baffles in.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You’ll be pleased. I hated mine after a few minutes of riding until I put the “quiet” baffles in.
Installed them. Was a bit of a struggle. First one the threaded nut fell off. Second one the nut wasn’t lined up with the hole lol.

I basically held the nut with long needle nose pliers and threaded the bolt on that way. Seems like it should work ok. Haven't had a chance to ride yet with them. Started the bike up and it sounded nice. Smoked a bit. I’ll report back after some miles on them.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Yeah it’ll smoke for maybe twenty miles. Looking forward to hearing the ride report.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far so good. The quiet baffles did exactly what I was hoping for, took the edge off. The nice rumble is still there, especially when on the throttle yet cruising the sound is a more comfortable level. I am loving them so far.

·
Registered
910 Posts
So far so good. The quiet baffles did exactly what I was hoping for, took the edge off. The nice rumble is still there, especially when on the throttle yet cruising the sound is a more comfortable level. I am loving them so far.
Cool man. I’m still “baffled” that they sell those things as quiet baffles. They are not quiet by any definition.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had to wrap the quiet baffles tightly in clear packing tape in order to get them in the pipes

·
Registered
2020 Scout Bobber Twenty
51 Posts
I got them in but it was a fair bit of stress and hassle doing so. Best simple advice that no one mentioned here is that's it's a two person job. I had to pull them in and out a couple times to align the screw holes and it's a hell of a lot easier with two people pulling than one, less likely to damage it too. Lubing is a really good idea too, the whole baffle. A couple tent pegs work wonders for hooking into the baffle and pulling it out if needed. It's significantly quieter now, loud when you open up, but overall a lot quieter and much more civilised at idle. Still got a nice sound too. I think it's a really good compromise between stock pipes and an unbaffled exhaust. Yes, I miss how loud the pipes used to be, it's painful knowing just how gnarly they were before, but they are definitely a happy medium now. Hopefully no more noise tickets for me!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts