Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Bronze member
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen: Are any of you guys experiencing any top end,or intermittent valve train noise,when under load and pronounced more so around the 1800-2100 rpm mark after the bike has fully warmed up,and especially on a warm to hot day??? I've now got 4300 miles on the clock and been experiencing it off and on as the weather is FINALLY warming up around here.However, if the rpm is a little below or alittle above that 1800-2100 rpm mark,it appears to quiet down some what.

If so,what have you done to correct it??? Thank you !! Dave!!!

·
Silver member
5,297 Posts
Review all the clack threads you can stand. Or just get a PCVX and quiet it down...

·
Silver member
5,297 Posts
That's the whole debate for years. I am on the valve train noise side of the argument. I have heard exactly one clacker in my time around these newer bikes. So the PCVX quieted my valve train noise down significantly...

·
Bronze member
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If that were the case,wouldn't you hear this noise all the time and not only when the ambient air temp was hot???Here I am thinking you guys were talking about piston noise as the pistons used on the Indian are also cast,just like on my Triumph 1600 motor.DUH!! I'm bad! Please forgive my stupidity!! Now that I'm on the same page as you guys,I shall look else wheres cause,believe it or not,I had this noise on my Triumph too,right along with everyone else who owned one,but, was able to arrive at a solution which solved my problem.In other words,regarding the Indian motor,I was lookin in the wrong place.Double DUH!!!!!! I shall experiment now to see where this takes me.So again,I thank you gentlemen for pointing me in the CORRECT direction.Dave!!!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
If that were the case,wouldn't you hear this noise all the time and not only when the ambient air temp was hot???Here I am thinking you guys were talking about piston noise as the pistons used on the Indian are also cast,just like on my Triumph 1600 motor.DUH!! I'm bad! Please forgive my stupidity!! Now that I'm on the same page as you guys,I shall look else wheres cause,believe it or not,I had this noise on my Triumph too,right along with everyone else who owned one,but, was able to arrive at a solution which solved my problem.In other words,regarding the Indian motor,I was lookin in the wrong place.Double DUH!!!!!! I shall experiment now to see where this takes me.So again,I thank you gentlemen for pointing me in the CORRECT direction.Dave!!!
Dave,

Why does if feel like you've been here before with this whole line of argument? You come on the site and immediately contest what some pretty knowledgable people are suggesting is the issue. It would be great if you might respect the mountains of posts and discussions on this and do a little research before you take a view on it. We enjoy polite, respectful conversations here.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Dave,

Why does if feel like you've been here before with this whole line of argument? You come on the site and immediately contest what some pretty knowledgable people are suggesting is the issue. It would be great if you might respect the mountains of posts and discussions on this and do a little research before you take a view on it. We enjoy polite, respectful conversations here.
Yeah Dave read up on clacking PVCX and advanced ignition curve in that rpm range and stop arguing . It’s been run to death.

·
Bronze member
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am NOT arguing!! I'm only trying to learn.I had a similar problem with the Thunderbird 1600 I just traded in towards this machine,which I was able to figure out,so I'll let it go at that.All I'm tryin to do, now that I understand what you guys are talking about, is figure out what this noise is,which I have NOT HEARD until TODAY while riding in the HOT TEMPS.Remember,I have never owned one of these big inch air cooled twins til now,so I am learning.But again,I wanna thank you gentlemen for your advice and input and I mean NO OFFENCE to ANYONE on here!!So PLEASE do NOT misunderstand me as I am NOT the enemy. Dave!!!

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Some folks are a bit touchy on certain topics... I have sometimes noted mild valve train noise in my CDH engine which is now a 116. It is not loud nor continuous and it does not bother me in the least. The TS111 is a great engine despite more than a few shortcomings. Mine has never run quiet as a sewing machine and I have never expected it to do so.

·
Silver member
5,297 Posts
No offense taken. We are getting here somewhere now. V-twins make a lot of top end noise no matter what generation. You are either born into it or you get used to it. If you are used to quiet engines that will never happen with a v-twin. V-twin guys love a noisy racket, loud valves, loud exhaust, shitty performance, and a bunch of fun.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Your response is helpful. A little more care in what you write will avoid a lot of misunderstanding -- and no CAPS, which is shouting.

I again suggest you do a search on clacking so you know what that is. (It is not temperature sensitive, more affected by throttle) Beyond that, as said by others, V-Twins are muscular and sometimes noisy beasts. Enjoy your bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine was clacking real bad after an oil change, took it to the dealer, they rode and decided to pull the motor and take a long, hard look at the valve train. That's what they think it is. Hope to have it back in time for Bike Week in NH!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Gentlemen: Are any of you guys experiencing any top end,or intermittent valve train noise,when under load and pronounced more so around the 1800-2100 rpm mark after the bike has fully warmed up,and especially on a warm to hot day??? I've now got 4300 miles on the clock and been experiencing it off and on as the weather is FINALLY warming up around here.However, if the rpm is a little below or alittle above that 1800-2100 rpm mark,it appears to quiet down some what.

If so,what have you done to correct it??? Thank you !! Dave!!!
Dave the TS 111 is a big noisy engine. Valve noise, gear whine, air sucking in, exhaust moving out. All normal and good sounds.
What is not normal is a persistent clack on light load, light throttle in any gear in the 2100 to 2900 RPM range. That is the infamous clack.
Search my threads or many others on the cause of the clack and you will know.
If you don’t think your engine clacks after reading all the info that is fantastic. If you think it does then try a PCVX tuner.
Ride safe.

·
Bronze member
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well gang,I hate to say this,BUT,my problem is solved.I checked my oil this am and it was down a 1/2 quart.So I topped it off,fired it up,allowed it to run for 10 minutes or so to warm up,drove off,and the motor was quiet as a church mouse,no ticking,no knocking,no valve train noise,and most importantly,"no clacking.She is nice and quiet again.I covered alittle over 100 miles,and she's still nice and quiet.Go figure!! But I thank you gentlemen again for your assistance and putting up with dummy me.Carry on!! Dave!!!

·
Banned
575 Posts
Gotta love how arrogant people on this forum try and tell you what to say, how to say it and when not to yell!Who died and made them the forum police.Thunder stroke engine is a big noisy torque monster.Over head valve push rod v twins are inherently noisy beasts.If folks can't understand or tolerate the noise buy an electric driven bike or Gold Wing.Every V-twin I have owned made noise.gonna try Red Line oil at next change in lieu of Indian factory oil to try and quiet down valve train lifter racket.Always wonder whether de-compression mechanism on exhaust cams contributes to slap clack rattle etc.Ride safe!

·
Bronze member
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup!! On my last bike,a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1600,there was a decompression mechanism on the end of each cam shaft that rattled all the time and would drive ya nuts!! But,once I dumped that synthetic stuff [on my second oil/filter change],and went to my dino oil,[that you weren't supposed to use in it] it only rattled for a few seconds when first started cold,then quieted right down and stayed that way til the next cold start.And the Triumph was still quiet when I traded it for my *****,and it had over 125,000 miles showin on the clock.Not bad!!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Gotta love how arrogant people on this forum try and tell you what to say, how to say it and when not to yell!Who died and made them the forum police.Thunder stroke engine is a big noisy torque monster.Over head valve push rod v twins are inherently noisy beasts.If folks can't understand or tolerate the noise buy an electric driven bike or Gold Wing.Every V-twin I have owned made noise.gonna try Red Line oil at next change in lieu of Indian factory oil to try and quiet down valve train lifter racket.Always wonder whether de-compression mechanism on exhaust cams contributes to slap clack rattle etc.Ride safe!
The guy seemed upset that people were misinterpreting the tone of his note. I was offering to him how that can happen.

Doing so is called community.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts