Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it's possible to swap valve headers and caps from a scout sixty to a scout bobber? I like the all blacked out look and feel they missed the mark there. if not, what other options do any of y'all know of to black them out? Thanks in advance!

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
They are the same motor and the different parts should fit OK.

However, I'd give some black engine paint a try first. I've used Plastidip to paint a chrome warbonnet but I don't know how Plastidip would handle the heat. Being a water cooled engine it might do it.

And sometimes normal paint doesn't like going on over chrome unless it's been sanded a little. I prefer not to rough up chrome so it can be restored to original later without too much trouble.

This guy doesn't seem to be having trouble with painting the covers, but he might have done some heavy prep work first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the feedback y'all. In Hawaii currently where costs for labor are absurd, likely going to wrench the parts myself, found it may in fact be cheaper to do the swap than to paint. I'll look into this further though. Much appreciated!

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
However, I'd give some black engine paint a try first. I've used Plastidip to paint a chrome warbonnet but I don't know how Plastidip would handle the heat. Being a water cooled engine it might do it.
Just cuz it's water cooled doesn't mean it doesn't get hot. Plastidip would not work.

Ceramic coat or powder coat would do the trick. Or like stated earlier... High temp bbq paint. I would like to know what you find when looking to swap the parts from a 60 to yours though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts