Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen another bike, other than customs, that's had the "valleys" in the valve covers blacked out?

Here is a picture of Elnora for reference.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Engine Auto part

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,080 Posts
Howdy,
I've thought since I first saw the TS 111 that blacking out those valleys would look pretty good, and the first time I need to pull the gas tank so I can get to the valve covers that's exactly what I'm going to do.
--- Randall

·
Super Moderator
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been delightfully amazed by the ingenuousness of my fellow Indian riders and I was just curious if anyone has run across a bike that had the valve cover valleys blacked out. I'd be interested in doing mine because I think it looks SO much better! I was just digging for the 411 on how it had been done.

What is your plan when you get the tank off Randall?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,080 Posts
What is your plan when you get the tank off Randall?

The most durable solution would be to mask to mask the fins and powder coat the valleys; I'd have to go to Odessa to do that though. The other route would be to mask the fins, bead-blast the valleys to rough them up, and spray them with hi-temp paint. You could also spray the whole cover and use a rag wetted with lacquer thinner to wipe the fins clean. Then, there's always the Sharpie solution for those with steady hands ...
--- Randall

·
Registered
425 Posts
I hear that is only 4 bolts and is super easy, but I wouldn't want to have to do that, Fang.

I had a Honda Magna and lots of guys would paint the etched "Honda" in the same color as the tank using Testor's enamel paint, like for models. It holds up to high temp well, but thee is a big difference between those water cooled motors and these. My first thought is Barbecue grill paint. That is high temp and comes in flat and gloss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
The covers should never get hot enough to hurt regular enamel, they are heat shields to keep the jewelry from baking. To prep them will be tight though. Kinda like the look. Real finned valve covers would be cool. No pun intended. Damn the heat!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Confirmed--there's no way to get the valve covers off without removing, or at least loosening, the engine. I've been trying for the last few hours. Unless somebody can prove otherwise, I'll stick with silver.

·
Super Moderator
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Confirmed--there's no way to get the valve covers off without removing, or at least loosening, the engine. I've been trying for the last few hours. Unless somebody can prove otherwise, I'll stick with silver.
You're correct maineboarder87. You can pull the seat, tank, etc., and paint as some here have done. My valve covers were powder coated which required removal....which required the engine/frame to be dropped a couple inches. My local dealer unbolted engine/frame from frame. I had a cracked head and had the faux valve covers power coated while the cylinder head was being replaced.

Auto part Engine Motor vehicle Vehicle Tire

More info on the engine can be found here; The problem with #37

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.