Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
I bought my Roadmaster April 21st of this year, and have a meager 6000+ miles on it now.
It's been a dream to ride, and I like it better than the GoldWing I used to have years ago.
Anyhow, my standard coverage ends same time in 2019.
They sent me the enrollment form for extending the coverage, but oddly enough, whatever you buy starts from when you bought the bike, not when you're standard coverage ends. So it comes with a 2 year factory warranty, hence the 2019 end date. If I buy a three year Extended Protection plan, I only get one more year of coverage, which I think is a bit of a ripoff. That's $864 for one year of coverage.
I really don't think it's worth the money, because if something is weak and going to fail, you'll usually see that happen within the first year, in my experience. I have had zero problems with this bike, changed the oil over to V-Twin Amsoil 20W-40 along with an Amsoil filter. I installed a K&N air filter. It gets ridden everyday, rain or shine, and washed once a month whether it needs it or not.

So I wanted to ask you of your opinion, just in case I've missed overlooked something.

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
Well, thanks, at least, for the clarification. I too thought that a "three-year extended plan" would add three years, not one, to my warranty. It doesn't take a genius to see that that language is more than a little deceptive. I'm DEFINITELY not even considering it now, although having just got my Classic, I suppose something could happen in the next two years to change my mind...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Folks,
I bought my Roadmaster April 21st of this year, and have a meager 6000+ miles on it now.
It's been a dream to ride, and I like it better than the GoldWing I used to have years ago.
They sent me the enrollment form for extending the coverage, but oddly enough, whatever you buy starts from when you bought the bike, not when you're standard coverage ends. So it comes with a 2 year factory warranty, hence the 2019 end date. If I buy a three year Extended Protection plan, I only get one more year of coverage, which I think is a bit of a ripoff. That's $864 for one year of coverage.
I really don't think it's worth the money, because if something is weak and going to fail, you'll usually see that happen within the first year, in my experience. I have had zero problems with this bike, changed the oil over to V-Twin Amsoil 20W-40 along with an Amsoil filter. I installed a K&N air filter. It gets ridden everyday, rain or shine, and washed once a month whether it needs it or not.

So I wanted to ask you of your opinion, just in case I've missed overlooked something.
Well I paid $1581.00 for a 5 year extension that starts at the end of the 2 year factory warranty, so that gives me 7 years of protection. I don't think that's too bad a deal and averages $316/yr. However I am considering canceling the extended warranty for full credit which the dealer confirmed I can do as long as I do it before the end of the 2 yr factory. I'll spend that money on a Jackpot header and a PVCX, new Freedom Shields windshield, Kuryakyn backrest & highway pegs and finally the Admore LED taillight. A lot of great accessories for that money. Same as you I figure if I don't have any major trouble within the 2 years I'll probably be OK.
Crazy

Reactions: jdmatthew

·
Rider
360 Posts
Been thinking about warranties. So, I have the first year 5 year unlimited warranty on my Vintage. What if; something were to bad, the parts are back ordered or "other", and I don't get my bike back for six months. Does this theoretical downtime eat through my warranty period or could a guy cry "foul!" and make Indian extend the warranty the six months the shop had it?

`

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Been thinking about warranties. So, I have the first year 5 year unlimited warranty on my Vintage. What if; something were to bad, the parts are back ordered or "other", and I don't get my bike back for six months. Does this theoretical downtime eat through my warranty period or could a guy cry "foul!" and make Indian extend the warranty the six months the shop had it?

Crzy8: It doesn't start at the end of your 2 year warranty, it starts when you bought the bike. So your 5 year extended warranty is actually only 3 years after the original warranty expires.

`

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, thanks, at least, for the clarification. I too thought that a "three-year extended plan" would add three years, not one, to my warranty. It doesn't take a genius to see that that language is more than a little deceptive. I'm DEFINITELY not even considering it now, although having just got my Classic, I suppose something could happen in the next two years to change my mind...

I asked about that before. The extended warranty is not available at any time, only when it's offered sometime within the first year of ownership. I just received mine.
Yout can clarify this with your dealer, but based on what I was told, you can't wait until your OEM warranty is almost up to sign up for the Extended version.
Thats how they make their money...
Its called "playing the odds ", and because Polaris makes a very well engineered product in this case (good for us), the odds are heavily in their favor.

That being said, I have no problem with an extended warranty, but I strongly disagree with the marketing ploy they use to promote it. IMO, it's dishonest advertising.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ARSTAREN

No.
THe warranty covers your bike when it was brought into the shop for the repair. If the repair part shipment held up the repair beyond the warranty period, they would still have to fix it under the warranty. However, I would cover your butt in that unlikely situation and make sure your bike remains under their roof until it's done.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
84 month Extended warranty just went up from $1800 Canadian to $2800 Canadian on August 1 on my Roadmaster. $1800 was reasonable but not sure I can justify $2800 now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The problem with all of this is that there isn't enough long term repair history to judge whether this model engine (111 ci) and drive train will be a good overall design that will last 7 years with little or no major problems, provided the owner is taking care of it properly and not abusing it.
How a rider operates and takes care of his ride goes a long ways to a problem free machine.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
The problem with all of this is that there isn't enough long term repair history to judge whether this model engine (111 ci) and drive train will be a good overall design that will last 7 years with little or no major problems, provided the owner is taking care of it properly and not abusing it.
How a rider operates and takes care of his ride goes a long ways to a problem free machine.
Agree! I purchased an extended warranty on my Duramax truck and each time I needed it, the fine print came into play and I was left paying out of pocket. It was a complete waste of money spent! Not knowing what the long term holds for the 111 is a challenge.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't purchase extended warranties on anything and that goes for my RM as well.

·
Bronze member
1,814 Posts
Yes it is deceiving that the Extended starts with the in service date. HD is the same. They try to justify it by saying that there are added features in the extended that are not in the factory, so in the first two years, you are benefitting, so they say. When HD had major issues with hydraulic clutches, 110 motors, etc, they extended coverage of that item for free by one, two years. Agreed, downtime should extend the warranty, and should get a loaner. When I had the 110 motor issues, if my dealer had rentals (Eagle) I would have one. My dealer did not have rentals. SOL.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
One bad computer/ECM 4 years down the road and this will be a good thing. But it seems that each dealer interprets it differently as seen here. One may not cover a gas gauge while the others will. If your dealer has been with Polaris for awhile ( meaning they carried ATV's before Indian came along ) and know the Polaris run around then their word is pretty much Gospel. Its not cut and dried for the dealer either as he will fight Polaris to get paid.........at times. If you get it you may not need it. If you pass, sure a Hell something will come along. Thats life.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have always had a hard time spending money on something that may or may not happen after the initial warranty period for many reasons.

I think the question you need to ask yourself is how long do you plan on keeping it?

If you know you generally don't keep cars, bikes ETC past a certain number of years is it worth future proofing?

Extended warranties are smart if you keep things for a long time as all things mechanical will fail at some point.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Folks,

Recently cancelled my "extended warranty". It took over 6 weeks to receive my refund.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I asked about that before. The extended warranty is not available at any time, only when it's offered sometime within the first year of ownership. I just received mine.
Yout can clarify this with your dealer, but based on what I was told, you can't wait until your OEM warranty is almost up to sign up for the Extended version.
Thats how they make their money...
Its called "playing the odds ", and because Polaris makes a very well engineered product in this case (good for us), the odds are heavily in their favor.

That being said, I have no problem with an extended warranty, but I strongly disagree with the marketing ploy they use to promote it. IMO, it's dishonest advertising.
Not quite accurate. My factory warranty had expired. I knew it was getting close and kept telling myself "You need to do that". By the time I got a round to it, it had expired. I was unable to do it through the website, so called the dealership I use for maintenance. I worked with one of the sales people (Ashley) who called the factory and got it approved. I bought it and don't regret it one minute as not more than 3 months later it developed an oil leak from the case. The engine came out and the leak fixed. When they got it back running, it had a noise that was presumed to be a bad lifter. The engine came back out and lifters were put in. I feel I got my moneys worth out of the extended warranty. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought the extended warranty, collected on broken valve spring, and now will cover second grip heater gone bad, found out that it won't cover leaking fork seals or bad chrome , "deceiving " as warranty explained to me , never had to replace forks seals before.

·
Silver member
5,038 Posts
I think it is good to have the extended warranty for sure. Especially, if you are making payments on the bike. That way your really never out of pocket on the drivetrain, engine and electronics, etc. if something goes wrong.

Fork seals are a wear and tear item as I recall.

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
My approach to extended warranties has always been to not buy them when I'm buying what I consider a top-quality or premium product -- that's why you spend the extra money on "premium" -- and I think Indian falls into that category. It doesn't take long though to go through this or any other motorcycle or car forum and see that Stuff Happens even with Indians and Hondas and BMWs and Mercedes and etc. (My wife's new Mercedes, in fact, went back into the shop within a week of buying it and stayed there for almost a week. Talk about a buzzkill!) I'll clarify with my dealer when my warranty-extension periods (and I know that the price just went up) and see how long I have to make a decision. Leaning strongly away from it though at this point.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts