Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a very old Indian sign that has been hanging up on a building for many many years you can still see the holes from the square nail heads. All one solid piece of lumber, measures 22” in width (up and down). Can you even put a price on something this unique? Anyone seen anything like this before or can help identify the approximate year?
38E6EFF6-3918-475F-A9F7-44A523EDD887.jpeg

·
Rider
939 Posts
Looks like an ohio plate on your truck. What part of Ohio are you from. Not sure what the value of the sign is but it's pretty cool. Are you looking to sell it?

·
Rider
1,579 Posts
Is it metal nailed to wood or painted wood? What’s does the back / wood look like? A lot of fakes out there and easy to make a fake look real. Where did you find it? I dabble in signs and old gas pumps so please dont be offended by me asking these questions. If it’s all wood and painted not sure if someone really liked Indian and made their own sign. It says Motorcycle and not Motocycle which was used in the early 1900s. Also they stopped using square head nails in the early 1900s which would conflict with Motocycle vs Motorcycle unless that’s all they had lying around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys thanks for the input. Yes it’s painted wood. I am from northeast Ohio, sign is for sale. It is absolutely not a fake... interesting point about the “motocycle”. not sure if it was “officially released” by Indian...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi guys thanks for the input. Yes it’s painted wood. I am from northeast Ohio, sign is for sale. It is absolutely not a fake... interesting point about the “motocycle”. not sure if it was “officially released” by Indian...
Wasn't trying to be discouraging, it was just if they had their hands in it there would certainly be some "real" value, no doubt.

👍

·
Rider
1,579 Posts
Since it’s wooden and not a porcelain sign if you want it because you want to keep it I’d say 200-300 and no more than 400. The porcelain signs depending on subject matter are the ones that are worth some good money. Motocycle was used up to the 20s I believe. If we’re an older sign would have had a Hendee Manufacturing Springfield Mass painted somewhere on it as well. So not 1920s If you ask me still a cool find though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wish I could be of more help about the sign, but I love the truck. I had a '77 (351, 4x4).
If it's as nice as it looks, I got $25,5 for mine...

·
Rider
939 Posts
What part of north east Ohio. I am also from northeast Ohio. I am from the chardon /leroy area. I would be interested in the sign. How much are you wanting to get out of it?

·
Rider
939 Posts
I would like to actually lay eyes on it before making an offer. You can't tell how bubbled out the paint is or how good the color is from the picture.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts