Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all -

I have been trying to figure out the GPS system in my 2017 RM.

If I am sitting in front of a place, how do I add it as a favorite if I don't know the address and it isn't in the POI database? I hoped that just holding my finger over the location would do it, or hitting the favorites button, but neither seemed to work.

Similarly, sometimes it is easier to scroll the map to a location than to type in the address or name. How do I tell the GPS to navigate to a point I have selected on the map?

Finally, I can't figure out waypoints. Let's say I want to ride out to San Francisco, and stop off at the Tower Cafe in Sacramento along the way, or plan a route to Sierra City via Portola rather than Loyalton. Or perhaps I am on my way to a hotel, how do I find restaurants along the way or near my destination?

The manual seems to cover basic route planning (and some cool routing options like avoiding highways!) but not much that I saw about the other topics.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sgt,
From what I have seen and read in the manual, the Ride Command installed in the bikes does not do waypoints. It only seems to support one destination at a time, Very disappointing since my $125 Garmin does them just fine. The other thing lacking seems to be the ability to create a route on a computer and then download it into the Ride Command.
Funny, as the Ride Command installed the the Polaris ATV's does waypoints and supports downloads also. Same Ride Command unit, just different features.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
They are probably going to add that stuff and re routing and such through downloads later on. Why should they take time to do it right when they can have the customer make 15 trips to the dealership for downloads... Myself... I would wait to trade up to RM after they come from the factory with all that done at the factory.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I agree that the GPS is very basic in functionality. It would be nice to plan a route on a computer and upload to the GPS. I don't even think you can do a custom route on the screen... major disappointment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorbemca is correct. All software updates are available online and downloaded via USB. Very easy to do. No need to visit the dealer. I have already had a couple discussions with Indian employees on on the issues here. Seems to be a very common feature wanted by owners.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does anyone have any updates on this problem? Thinking about trading in my '15 RM for a '17 but I would have to add a GPS mount for my Garmin. Can't plan a route without waypoints.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Now it's obvious that there was a brain freeze while developing the GPS, i.e., adding automobile POI to a motorcycle GPS is very interesting. I guess we're suppose to stop in and say hi. There's really not much an auto dealership or repair shop can do for us motorcycle riders. Strange that there isn't a listing on the GPS of Indian dealerships throughout the country for those us who do long distance riding. The listing of Indian dealerships and their pertinent information is available on an iphone application, WOW!
Also, on any GPS, the posted road speed limits can be displayed as they change for information purposes. Some us may miss a speed limit sign, but to have it handy by looking down at the GPS has helped many avoid the infamous speeding ticket. So, what's so hard to include such a simple feature? Just saying...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have figured out how to set the GPS with multiple stops. What I haven't found is how to record a route someone else is leading so you can ride it again later on my own.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have figured out how to set the GPS with multiple stops. What I haven't found is how to record a route someone else is leading so you can ride it again later on my own.
Download "Track My Trip" app... from Google play.... That during your trip make sure that your phone is plugged in to your charger.... The bad boy drains some energy... Once the app is on your phone, all you have to do is hit the red play button and it will start recording your route....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts