Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.....another dumb but hopefully quick question......

I use both a Cardo Freecom 4+ and a Sena 10R device. (two different helmets) I use these almost exclusively for music. I never ride in a group, or really find the phone features usable.

I've since developed an issue while using the Cardo with the FTR. If I shut the bike off, to get gas let's say, and then turn the bike back on....the music will no longer play thru my Cardo. My phone is now connected to the FTR, which I cant play music through my helmet from. (or at last I cant figure it out)

I can manually go into my phone, tap a circle icon, and then I can manually re-connect the Cardo, which the music then plays thru the unit/helmet.

I haven't ridden yet with the Sena to see if it does the same thing, although Id bet it does.

Is there a way to keep my phone (Iphone XS max) from automatically connecting to the bike, thereby switching my music from the Cardo to the bike? Or maybe Im missing something, like the ability to play music from the bike, thru the Cardo??

Honestly, Im not sure if this is an Indian thing, Iphone thing, or bluetooth thing. Id just like to have the music NOT stop playing when I restart the bike. Depending on where my phone is, it can be a pain to dig it out and change a menu in order to play music again.

My dealer was a bit less than helpful while setting this all up...."yeah you can use Ride Command to do everything" was what I was told. Im finding that to NOT be the case. I know it doesnt have CarPlay to use Nav, but still.

Side note, even when registered and hooked up, the Ride Command app doesnt show my bike info, etc....My personal info is there like name/phone number, but nothing about the bike shows up. I also cant use the ride feature, or anything like that.

Anyways, thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Bronze member
2,559 Posts
The ride command app doesn’t work for the ftr.

And your phone takes priority with the bike. I finally got tired of messing with it and unaired my phone from the bike. As it was always a whole process every time I shit the bike off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhhhhh.......I see......ok, so that explains everything then.
Thank you! Glad to see I wasn’t the only one with this issue. There isn’t really any reason to have the phone/bike paired then I suppose. I’ll probably unlink them as well.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have your phone paired to Cardo and to the FTR? What's the Cardo paired to?

My Cardo is paired only to the FTR and my phone is only paired to the FTR. I just don't listen to music while fueling.
Phone is paired with Cardo and bike. Cardo is only paired to the phone maybe? I don’t recall pairing the Cardo with the FTR.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Phone is paired with Cardo and bike. Cardo is only paired to the phone maybe? I don’t recall pairing the Cardo with the FTR.
Yea delete the bike off your phone and the phone off your bike if you don’t intend on doing anything through the ride command

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, good enough. About the only thing I can do with the ride command is see an incoming text message...sometimes....but I cant reply anyways, so there’s no point.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
720 Posts
I liked to be able to see the text so I knew if it was an emergency or not since when you receive a call, it doesn't show the name of the person, just the number. But I've been having issues with my Sena even when both devices are connected to the bike (random volume spikes, cannot take or make calls). I mainly listen to the radio which is controlled through the Sena so unless I'm going on a long trip I'm probably just going to unpair both since I can't control the music anyway. Its a shame since the ride command was the main selling point of the S for me. Sucks its not performing as it was sold to be.

·
Rider
731 Posts
I have the same issue with my Lexin and I mainly listen to music as well and occasional take a call or see a text. I REALLY like being able to change the song with my thumb which needs the be connected to ride command in order for that to work. I’m not sure but what I’m learning/guessing is the last device that connect to your phone takes priority. So if you stop for gas you gotta turn the bike Off then back on which then has the FTR take priority over your headset. And yes like you mention you can go through your phone and switch it back but that’s a hassle if your phone is in your pocket and your ready to take off. What I’ve found is best for me is just turn my Lexin Off and on again real quick before I take off. Sometimes I take off before it even connects but since it was the last device to connect to my phone it will take priority over the FTR. That my solution because I like keeping the FTR connected to my phone. And if you find a way for the headset to keep priority let us know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
For anyone that's having issues - the right move is to pair Cardo with FTR, and pair iPhone with FTR. Don't pair iPhone with Cardo. You will be able to turn on your FTR and it will auto connect to both phone and Cardo and you can just start controlling it. I has similar issues as @68RR and tried this today and it's working great. Thanks to @amwalker707 for resolving this!

Note: You will lose the ability to use the Cardo app, but you don't really need it for anything as far as I know.

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
720 Posts
Not to take away from the OPs post, but that is how I have mine (albeit with a Sena) and there are still issues with calls and random volume spikes that scare the bejesus out of me.

·
Bronze member
2,612 Posts
For anyone that's having issues - the right move is to pair Cardo with FTR, and pair iPhone with FTR. Don't pair iPhone with Cardo. You will be able to turn on your FTR and it will auto connect to both phone and Cardo and you can just start controlling it. I has similar issues as @68RR and tried this today and it's working great. Thanks to @amwalker707 for resolving this!

Note: You will lose the ability to use the Cardo app, but you don't really need it for anything as far as I know.
I just ordered the new Cardo Black to go into my new helmet. I’ll have to give this a try when it arrives.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have the same issue with my Lexin and I mainly listen to music as well and occasional take a call or see a text. I REALLY like being able to change the song with my thumb which needs the be connected to ride command in order for that to work. I’m not sure but what I’m learning/guessing is the last device that connect to your phone takes priority. So if you stop for gas you gotta turn the bike Off then back on which then has the FTR take priority over your headset. And yes like you mention you can go through your phone and switch it back but that’s a hassle if your phone is in your pocket and your ready to take off. What I’ve found is best for me is just turn my Lexin Off and on again real quick before I take off. Sometimes I take off before it even connects but since it was the last device to connect to my phone it will take priority over the FTR. That my solution because I like keeping the FTR connected to my phone. And if you find a way for the headset to keep priority let us know.

Yeah, I don't really think this is a problem with the FTR, but rather a problem with how bluetooth is made to work. You pretty much have to prioritize headset features (like setup of @ferraiolo1 where you pair the phone and headset together only) or FTR features (like I do where you pair the phone and the headset to the bike and only to the bike).

I chose to use the bike features because I put my music on shuffle and let to skip tracks with my thumbs or see which track I'm listening to. My wife and I also have a setup when I ride. Calls for emergencies, texts for non-emergencies (i.e. pickup something on the way home, she's going out). You just gotta pick whichever setup is right for you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Ride Command, just like the Harley system is junk and just a plane rip-off. My phone has all the software I need and it is updated automatically . Motorcycles should have a touch screen, music, bluetooth connectivity and nothing else. The same for cars.

·
Registered
497 Posts
So I’ve noticed something using my
iPhone and Sena 20 through the FTR. When getting started I’d fire up my headset before turning the bike on and the bike would grab my phone and headset almost simultaneously. Using this method, sometimes my phone would have functionality, sometimes it wouldn’t and I’d have to screw around with it and re-pair devices.

This past week I’ve been firing up the bike, letting it warm up and auto connect to my iPhone for a minute. Then when I’m ready to set off, I’ll turn on the headset and it connects. Using this method my phone has had zero issues with everything working the way it should through the FTR, full phone book, text notifications, music control. Everything. If you are having problems using a phone and headset together, let the phone connect first and wait til you’re ready to ride off before turning your headset on and connecting and see if that helps or solves the issues.

·
Bronze member
2,612 Posts
So I’ve noticed something using my
iPhone and Sena 20 through the FTR. When getting started I’d fire up my headset before turning the bike on and the bike would grab my phone and headset almost simultaneously. Using this method, sometimes my phone would have functionality, sometimes it wouldn’t and I’d have to screw around with it and re-pair devices.

This past week I’ve been firing up the bike, letting it warm up and auto connect to my iPhone for a minute. Then when I’m ready to set off, I’ll turn on the headset and it connects. Using this method my phone has had zero issues with everything working the way it should through the FTR, full phone book, text notifications, music control. Everything. If you are having problems using a phone and headset together, let the phone connect first and wait til you’re ready to ride off before turning your headset on and connecting and see if that helps or solves the issues.
Exactly

1 - 20 of 20 Posts