Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, figured I'd start up something for us to talk about the bikes as we all start to use them and compare and contrast to what's been said in the reviews. Plus this way I'm not cluttering up the "Got my Scout" sticky.

All the reviews on this are spot on so far, it seems. I haven't gone too crazy with it but in the roughly 100 miles I've put on it already the handling is great, balance and weight is phenomenal, the transmission is buttery smooth with positive gear engagements and easy neutral, and the acceleration gives me giggles every time. Hopefully the stage 1 pipes improve upon the noise (it still sounds great for a stock exhaust).

I can confirm it is in fact electronically limited to 115 mph as I hit that in 4th gear and still had plenty of power to go so hopefully it's something that can be fixed with a ECU re flash because this bike absolutely can do more than its configured for right now.

Additionally, I've got a buddy with a Sportster 1200 so he and I did a quick drag race and despite my god awful take off (I'm used to heel toe shifter on my other bike and still getting used to the clutch so he smoked me off the line) I still managed to catch up to him in 2nd and nudge ahead up to 100. I'll retry again once I'm more proficient with her and report back. It definitely has more power and acceleration so it should be in line with the Scout vs Sportster comparison video on YouTube.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like much changed between the pre production and production models as there is no fork lock (still has a place for it though), no fuel gauge, no gear indicator, and only 1 trip option on the speedo display. My last bike had all those so it sort of spoiled me but I kind of like the less is more thing this has, I'm finding it to be more fun and makes you engage with the bike more if that makes any sense. I'm relying less on what it tells me and more on what I'm feeling and hearing while riding it. I know it sounds silly but that's the best way to describe it.

Everywhere these things go they'll get attention, from people not knowing what a Scout is to others who have stories about family members who owned older ones. Everyone from sport bike riders to HD fans have come by to look at it when I pull in somewhere. It really makes you feel like you're part of something special.

Well, I've written enough for now, I'll post up some more observations as I get more time with the bike and obviously as the weather improves (new tires plus freezing cold pavement makes me wanna take it at least somewhat easy for now haha). I look forward to hearing what you guys all think as you get some ride time with yours!

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Good Initial Post for this Thread Hoping I can add something constructive to it soon ..

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
I enjoyed your 1st post, hope to read more. I get what you said about less is more and your finding it more fun that way. To me riding a motorcycle gives me a chance to be free. I can leave the disorder of my day behind as I cruise down the highway. The things important on my bike are handling, power and sound, It doesn't take a lot to make me happy.
I hope you and your Scout have a lot of fun. That's what it's all about.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Taboothe, well said. I think the three of us might be kindred spirits in riding philosophy. If you or Sabrepilot are up in the Northeast with your Scouts, give me a shout.

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
Lute, thanks for the invite, maybe someday we can meet in the middle at a gathering of the Scouts. After a few years of riding these bikes we should have some good stories to share. I can see us together around a campfire somewhere on a mountain like our brothers, the true Indians.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just got back from test riding a gloss black scout. Wow does it go. However one thing concerns me. Turning radius. Coming off my CB750, I struggled turning around on a neighborhood street. I can drive in circles on the same street on mine. Anyone have any idea how we can get more turning out of the bike?

Attachments

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
I just got back from test riding a gloss black scout. Wow does it go. However one thing concerns me. Turning radius. Coming off my CB750, I struggled turning around on a neighborhood street. I can drive in circles on the same street on mine. Anyone have any idea how we can get more turning out of the bike?
No problem, come in fast, rear brake in the last second, slide the back out, turn the handle bar in, watch out for a high side, correct direction, accelerate away. Probably 4 feet turning radius, and much faster too!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
As you get more and more used to the bike, your radius will get tighter. I was able to very easily turn around on a 2 lane county road with no shoulder.

OOOORR, that thing that Meggie said.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
No problem, come in fast, rear brake in the last second, slide the back out, turn the handle bar in, watch out for a high side, correct direction, accelerate away. Probably 4 feet turning radius, and much faster too!
I like the way you think!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Way to go Girl!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I agree with the turning radius. The steering lock takes some getting used to. My other bike (bobbed Suzuki C50) can turn on a dime in comparison while at parking lot speeds for maneuvering. Really this is my only one of very few nitpicks I have about the bike. Besides I'm not nearly skilled enough to do the Meggie method haha. Sounds like it would be an absolute blast though.

Also, another update. Got the bike past 200 miles today and had some more time to play with that Sportster and sure enough this smokes it no problem. Even tried it against some sport bikes (a triumph Daytona and yamaha R6) and managed to beat them both off the line and keep up for a bit before they pulled away. The bike is extremely stable as well with no flex. The reviews saying it holds a line are t kidding. Also, it appears that preliminary review models had an issue with ineffective engine braking and it being more of the bike "coasting". This is no longer an issue as engine breaking works great. Interesting enough, it looks like it may be computer controlled to some degree as it will gently pulse the as you decelerate depending on which gear you're in and at what speed.

One thing that's occurred on my bike however is it seems to have developed a small leak on the rear bolt of the outside of the crankcase. It's very minor but the dealer indicated it just may not have been torqued correctly and ought to be fixed at the 500 mile service. Also, I seem to be getting some extra "jerk" from the belt drive. Im sure it's something that'll get looked at during the service as well. Or it could just be me being used to shaft drive bikes, who knows haha.

Looking forward to the Stage 1 exhaust coming in as the stock pipes are definitely too quiet for me. After taking a look inside those big cans it's obvious the exhaust is extremely restricted as is (to be expected though).

So has anyone else gotten to play with theirs a bit and get some first impressions?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
I agree with the turning radius. The steering lock takes some getting used to. My other bike (bobbed Suzuki C50) can turn on a dime in comparison while at parking lot speeds for maneuvering. Really this is my only one of very few nitpicks I have about the bike. Besides I'm not nearly skilled enough to do the Meggie method haha. Sounds like it would be an absolute blast though.
Learned from the best, someone who spent more time in the dirt than anyone should admit. Here thrashing and demonstrating the move on my (then) brand new GS.

castaic 4.jpg

·
Registered
173 Posts
As you get more and more used to the bike, your radius will get tighter. I was able to very easily turn around on a 2 lane county road with no shoulder.

OOOORR, that thing that Meggie said.
Yeah, I think it's partially just that since my handlebars turn more, I just don't lean as much. I just don't trust leaning at such slow speeds. Only ridden two summers so far.

·
Registered
31 Posts
friction zone, light rear brake, and head and eyes

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks Sabrepilot9000 and to all for responding to this thread. Specifically, I'd like some feedback on the cornering clearance in the twisties, the wind blast at high speed, the comfort level after a couple hours in the saddle, and your experience with your dealers as far as delivery costs and prepping the bike for your weight and height .

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I had my inaugural ride bringing my beauty home, very nice ride. Handles great, plenty of get up and go. I think the only thing that could be better is the grip of the rear brakes. When I rode the demo I noticed that, but I thought it was because of it being a demo. Anyway seems you really have to put some pressure on the pedal. We will see how that progresses. Other than that, it is amazing. Looking forward to some cruising.

Reactions: Trapper

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
My review.

Since I don't have mine yet, since I haven't demoed one yet, since I've only sat on one once............I sure look good on it.:cool:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts