Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve recently purchased some second hand, Indian Stage 2 cams. Does anyone have any thoughts on if I’m going to have trouble getting a dealer to install them, since they aren’t brand new?

·
Bronze member
2,248 Posts
I would be very surprised if any dealer rejects the opportunity to make some money with installing original Indian parts, new or used.

Only theoretical grey area would be "warranty coverage" since those are used cams. But that would be the same with any used part ...

Most likely to "do it right" they might insist on selling you a Tune Code to flash the bike to the official stageII software.

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would be very surprised if any dealer rejects the opportunity to make some money with installing original Indian parts, new or used.

Only theoretical grey area would be "warranty coverage" since those are used cams. But that would be the same with any used part ...

Most likely to "do it right" they might insist on selling you a Tune Code to flash the bike to the official stageII software.

I assumed that would be the case, which is fine. I plan to get the Power Command tuner with a Craig tune sooner than later, as well. But would love to feel what the standard Indian tune would turn out.

·
Bronze member
2,248 Posts
The current tuner is called Powervision 3, yes, and with Craig you will be in good hands!

I would say: don't worry about this "project"! It is a very minimal work and even some guys here do it themselves (with the right tools!). There are lots of dealers who are happy to do this job.

(And with a Powervision 3 and Craigs tune you will get the icing on the cake!)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The current tuner is called Powervision 3, yes, and with Craig you will be in good hands!

I would say: don't worry about this "project"! It is a very minimal work and even some guys here do it themselves (with the right tools!). There are lots of dealers who are happy to do this job.

(And with a Powervision 3 and Craigs tune you will get the icing on the cake!)

Thank you for the correction! I knew it wasn’t right, but couldn’t bring to mind the correct name. And good to know, on all fronts!

·
Rider
559 Posts
Not sure youll be happy with Stg 2 cams, very small diff between stock and 558 or 585 but its your bike and money, read up and talk to some guys that have been thru it all before

·
Silver member
4,652 Posts
Sorry heat got me, I was trying to say the 558 or 585 offer much better perf than Stg2 , my mistake.
Really depends on what year the bike is. If prior to 2019 and you don't want the valve springs, I would try to get hold of one of Todd's 575 drop-in cams if performance was a major deciding factor. The stage 2 with a good tune is not a bad performer....87 - 90 HP and decent torque >115 TQ.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure youll be happy with Stg 2 cams, very small diff between stock and 558 or 585 but its your bike and money, read up and talk to some guys that have been thru it all before
I appreciate that! At this point, I’m really after the lopey sound rather than strictly performance. I am thrilled with my bike for now, so any improvement is a bonus.

·
Silver member
4,652 Posts
What are these 575 cams you speak of?
Libertyville Indian had them custom made for drop-in. Almost identical to the Lloyd'z 585, but at a slightly lower lift that the prior to 2019 stock valve springs can support. They have closed down their business and do not know if one of the owners will be producing the cams or not.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I take it you tried them, do you have any reviews you posted? Wondering what you thought of them? Plugging away with my stage 2 at the moment. Factory warranty expired so who knows now.

·
Silver member
4,652 Posts
I take it you tried them, do you have any reviews you posted? Wondering what you thought of them? Plugging away with my stage 2 at the moment. Factory warranty expired so who knows now.
No, when Todd sent me a set, instead of installing them, I sent them to a friend to have them fully profiled. They were almost identical to the Lloyd'z 585 cams, I did not need to install them in my bike.

I have tuned two bikes with them, they tuned up well.

·
Registered
219 Posts
No, when Todd sent me a set, instead of installing them, I sent them to a friend to have them fully profiled. They were almost identical to the Lloyd'z 585 cams, I did not need to install them in my bike.

I have tuned two bikes with them, they tuned up well.
CraigB1960 -- The manager of an Indian dealership send me "new" Stage-2 cams (his tech had installed them in a new 111 (before it went on the sales floor) and then removed the cams when he installed a 116-big-bore-kit (before the motorcycle was delivered to the guy that bought it).

I purchased a 2014 Indian Chieftain from the manager's dealership a few years earlier (before I relocated across country). I was planning to buy a PVCX custom tune (after the warrantee expired in 2019) to increase performance and reduce the clacking noise.

I recently opened up the air intake by drilling several large holes in the stock air-intake back plate (outside the filter area) and have punched out the plugs in my stock mufflers. I'm also planning on gutting the CAT. My Chieftain runs great even though it has some clacking and lots of pushrod/rocker-arm noise.

The tune is currently on hold until I get back to work and can afford it. When that happens I plan to purchase a PV3 from Fuel Moto and your custom tune.

What I am wondering is should I install the Indian Stage-2 Cams before getting your customer tune -- is the time and cost (of renting the tool) worth it or should I simply keeping my stock 2014 Cams.

With all your experience is there much of a performances difference between a custom tune with the 2014 Cams vs Stage-2 Cams? And is there a change in low-RPM torque?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and thoughts on this -- both pro and con

1 - 15 of 15 Posts