Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks! Just joined, this is my first post. I'm seriously considering buying a 2019 RM with very low miles from an Indian dealer. Have not seen it in person yet, it would have to be an internet purchase. I have actually done two of those and they worked out well. But I haven't owned an Indian before, and want to cover all the bases. Done a lot of research, watched a lot of reviews, but I would like to hear from the average owners.

Anything in particular to watch out for on this year/model? Any reason to consider an extended warranty?

I've owned 3 Hondas and 2 BMWs. Also considering one of the Beemer tourers, the new model Goldwing, or a Challenger with a tour pack. But I keep coming back to Indian, love the style!

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I own a 2019 RM I bought in March of this year and absolutely love it. It is the first year with rear cylinder deactivation and it works flawlessly for me. Also, I believe it is the first year with selectable riding modes: Touring/Regular/Sport. I don't really use them, but nice to have.

·
Rider
1,423 Posts
Hi Folks! Just joined, this is my first post. I'm seriously considering buying a 2019 RM with very low miles from an Indian dealer. Have not seen it in person yet, it would have to be an internet purchase. I have actually done two of those and they worked out well. But I haven't owned an Indian before, and want to cover all the bases. Done a lot of research, watched a lot of reviews, but I would like to hear from the average owners.

Anything in particular to watch out for on this year/model? Any reason to consider an extended warranty?

I've owned 3 Hondas and 2 BMWs. Also considering one of the Beemer tourers, the new model Goldwing, or a Challenger with a tour pack. But I keep coming back to Indian, love the style!
great bike

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,072 Posts
Had my 19 rm for almost exactly a year. It's a great bike!

I've only had one minor issue, the windshield rattles a bit. Minor annoyance that I can't hear when I crank the stereo

·
Registered
349 Posts
I had a 2018, 2019 and just traded for a 2020 a few weeks ago. The 19 ran a lot cooler and the rear cylinder deactivation is implemented so much better than my HD bikes. They are rock solid.

Even if you are buying it used if it's a 2019 it probably is still under the original 2 year factory warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had my 19 rm for almost exactly a year. It's a great bike!

I've only had one minor issue, the windshield rattles a bit. Minor annoyance that I can't hear when I crank the stereo
I thought they fixed the windshield rattle with a new grommet - or is that on the 2020s?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a 2018, 2019 and just traded for a 2020 a few weeks ago. The 19 ran a lot cooler and the rear cylinder deactivation is implemented so much better than my HD bikes. They are rock solid.

Even if you are buying it used if it's a 2019 it probably is still under the original 2 year factory warranty.
Yep, its covered until next May. Reading the comments, reviews, and recalls, it sounds like there are rarely any problems with the power train, which is the main thing. It also sounds like Indian has addressed some of the smaller issues that have come up, and the model is mature now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I own a 2019 RM I bought in March of this year and absolutely love it. It is the first year with rear cylinder deactivation and it works flawlessly for me. Also, I believe it is the first year with selectable riding modes: Touring/Regular/Sport. I don't really use them, but nice to have.
Thanks! Cylinder de-activation, ride modes, and the upgraded Ride Command are the reasons I would go with a 2019 over an '18 model. Thought about getting the 2020 for the 116, but decided its not enough of a difference for the price, at least for me. I'm not stop-light racing any more!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

One more question - are there external battery charging ports or terminals? If not, how hard is it to access the battery?

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Every Indian I have seen has a battery lead installed so you can easily connect a tender or otherwise plug directly in.

Reactions: Tito

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
One more question - are there external battery charging ports or terminals? If not, how hard is it to access the battery?
Most dealers install a battery tender pigtail. No telling how long a bike will sit on their floor.

The battery is under the seat and one of the computers. There have been issues with frying that computer if you’re not careful when accessing the battery.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Regarding your question about whether or not to purchase the extended warranty, there are a couple of threads on this site. I did not, but am considering adding it. Not so much for the mechanical items which I believe are fairly proven and refined by now, but the electronics and computer. Your dealer will surely offer you one but I am quite sure they can be purchased later. Good luck on your purchase and I am certain you will be very happy. But please remember to post a picture when you get her.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hello, I have put 21,000 miles on our 2016 Roadmaster and we absolutely love it. The 2019 has the nav and rear cylinder shut down👍. Both would be great but just love ours too much to make the change .we also have had about 17 different bikes of most brands. Have you looked at IMSturgis.com yet? That is Indians largest volume store in Sturgis S.D. They have over 250 preowned bikes and deliver them all across the country. Great prices and Amazing store and people. Any questions just give me a call 1-701-833-1805 Rick from N.D.

·
Rider
418 Posts
I would be more concerned about the dealer then the bike. There seems to be a wide gap in the way different dealers operate. I bought my Chieftain on the net from Indian of PCB, they had a driver meet me just north of Atlanta so I could pick up the bike. They did this for free as they will deliver to any surrounding state for free. They were awesome to deal with and would not have a problem working with them again. I also deal with Greensboro Indian in NC and they are great. But there are some bad ones out there and if you buy on line you wont be able to shake them much if it doesnt work out. Just research the dealer very well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Regarding your question about whether or not to purchase the extended warranty, there are a couple of threads on this site. I did not, but am considering adding it. Not so much for the mechanical items which I believe are fairly proven and refined by now, but the electronics and computer. Your dealer will surely offer you one but I am quite sure they can be purchased later. Good luck on your purchase and I am certain you will be very happy. But please remember to post a picture when you get her.
That is a good thought, I asked them about a warranty covering the electronics. We'll see what they say.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would be more concerned about the dealer then the bike. There seems to be a wide gap in the way different dealers operate. I bought my Chieftain on the net from Indian of PCB, they had a driver meet me just north of Atlanta so I could pick up the bike. They did this for free as they will deliver to any surrounding state for free. They were awesome to deal with and would not have a problem working with them again. I also deal with Greensboro Indian in NC and they are great. But there are some bad ones out there and if you buy on line you wont be able to shake them much if it doesnt work out. Just research the dealer very well.
Also a good point. I researched the dealer, they rate 4.5 out of 5 stars on multiple rating systems. The sales person I am working with is also mentioned positively several times. They also do nationwide (well, 48 state) delivery free. So while I share your concerns in general - and I usually like to deal in person so I can look someone in the eye - those are positive signs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quick update on this. First, thanks for all the great inputs, much appreciated!
Second, I pulled the trigger on purchase, think I got a good deal, keeping my fingers crossed that it turns out as good as it looks.
Regarding the extended warranty, based on this discussion and other threads here, I am getting a 48 month fender-to-fender warranty that includes lifetime power train coverage for 1050, good at any licensed motorcycle mechanic in North America. It starts the day the factory warranty expires, vice running concurrently as a lot of them do. Seemed like cheap insurance to me.
Finally, waiting on some updated photos to post on here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts