Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. If you’re running a USB wire from the battery tender pigtails to a handlebar mounted phone, will a 3.3” (1meter) length wire work or do you need the 6.6” (2m) wire?

2. I want to buy a Cramp Buster cruise control clips for a 2015 Scout handlebar. What is handlebar diameter? (I’m out of the country so can’t measure it).

·
Bronze member
1,376 Posts
1. Not done that myself but it looks like 3' or 36" or 1 meter would be okay to reach midway up the left or right of stock handlebars, but only if the route of wire is fairly direct under tank.

2. Mine is the C2 used with OEM grip. The Scout bar ends are 7/8" (other parts 1"). Checked on Crampbuster website and they size the C2 as being for 1 and 5/16 inch, 33.34 mm (or smaller). The C1 is a narrow version of same.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Not done that myself but it looks like 3' or 36" or 1 meter would be okay to reach midway up the left or right of stock handlebars, but only if the route of wire is fairly direct under tank.

2. Mine is the C2 used with OEM grip. The Scout bar ends are 7/8" (other parts 1"). Checked on Crampbuster website and they size the C2 as being for 1 and 5/16 inch, 33.34 mm (or smaller). The C1 is a narrow version of same.
Thanks. I thought the C2 might be to wide for me as my hands are not large. Usually a small or medium glove. Does the C2 width get in the way at all?

·
Bronze member
1,376 Posts
Thanks. I thought the C2 might be to wide for me as my hands are not large. Usually a small or medium glove. Does the C2 width get in the way at all?
Well, it covers a large portion of the grip. I would say half. Almost forgot to say, my hands aren't large either. Can wear Medium gloves (sometimes).

The narrower C1 might be okay too, but I almost don't notice the C2 under my palm. Once it's at the best angle it just rolls with the throttle from full on to off without any problem for me. Fingers still wrap around okay.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Before I added the Indian USB Speedo Mount Kit, I installed a second SAE pigtail under the seat and ran a USB cable from there, under the tank and up the front to the handlebar. That USB cable was 6 feet. Now with the Indian USB Speedo Mount Kit, I use a 12 inch USB cable.

I have added the Scout oversized grips to my handlebar and use a C2.

·
Bronze member
1,376 Posts
Before I added the Indian USB Speedo Mount Kit, I installed a second SAE pigtail under the seat and ran a USB cable from there, under the tank and up the front to the handlebar. That USB cable was 6 feet. Now with the Indian USB Speedo Mount Kit, I use a 12 inch USB cable.

Good to know.
I could only measure indirectly for a wire but only came up with about 36" from where the battery is under the seat (measuring over seat and tank) to where a handlebar mount might be placed. No doubt some guesswork there.

First reading of what you said had me still thinking of the distance to reach under the tank! Of course not... From speedo to handlebar mount, I get it now. Thought I should say this in case someone else thinks like me!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks. Can you explain to my non-technical mind, how that Indian USB Speedo Mount Kit works. Does it replace any of the parts on the OEM speedo (e.g. I have a bronze speedo cap)? I assume there’s a USB connection at the speedo that you run the wire from? Is that where the power comes from because there’s an extra powered accessory connection there? Does it not draw ANY power when bike is shut off because it’s fused/switched?

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Well, it covers a large portion of the grip. I would say half. Almost forgot to say, my hands aren't large either. Can wear Medium gloves (sometimes).

The narrower C1 might be okay too, but I almost don't notice the C2 under my palm. Once it's at the best angle it just rolls with the throttle from full on to off without any problem for me. Fingers still wrap around okay.
8b7d33af604515c4cb6e3e552ffdf2fe--meme-maker-just-for-fun.jpg

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you explain to my non-technical mind, how that Indian USB Speedo Mount Kit works. Does it replace any of the parts on the OEM speedo (e.g. I have a bronze speedo cap)? I assume there’s a USB connection at the speedo that you run the wire from? Is that where the power comes from because there’s an extra powered accessory connection there? Does it not draw ANY power when bike is shut off because it’s fused/switched?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Here is the kit. The page has a download link on how to install it.
USB Charging Port Kit | Indian Motorcycle

With the bike off, any attached USB accessory will not be powered. Took me 30 minutes to install. Your Bronze bezel stays on the speedo.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I just bought a “ Battery tender brand USB plug” $12. It plugs into the battery tender pig tail that goes to your battery. It is “hot at all times”. I don’t care, if I need to charge my phone while riding I’ll just plug the it in and put my phone in the saddlebag. Otherwise the phone stays in the case on my belt. I don’t ride with a phone in a mount,up on my bars, which I’m guessing is why some want the USB port @ the speedo. I prefer not to have any additional stuff to look at except the road and scenery . IMHO.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just bought a “ Battery tender brand USB plug” $12. It plugs into the battery tender pig tail that goes to your battery. It is “hot at all times”. I don’t care, if I need to charge my phone while riding I’ll just plug the it in and put my phone in the saddlebag. Otherwise the phone stays in the case on my belt. I don’t ride with a phone in a mount,up on my bars, which I’m guessing is why some want the USB port @ the speedo. I prefer not to have any additional stuff to look at except the road and scenery . IMHO.
By “hot all the time” do you mean it’s drawing power if plugged in to the pigtails even when the motorcycle ignition is off (or only while riding)?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
By “hot all the time” do you mean it’s drawing power if plugged in to the pigtails even when the motorcycle ignition is off (or only while riding)?
Yes ,the Deltran battery tender pigtail is meant to hook up directly to the batt terminals. The DeltranUSB device plugs into this pigtail. It’s small 1-1/2” long 3/4” wide and 1/4” thick, < >. Use just unplug it from the pigtail when not in use, or I suspect you could leave it plugged in. Not sure if it draws any power if a phone or GPS is not plugged into it. I just keep it in the saddlebag. I use it if needed to charge up my phone while out on the road.

·
Rider
839 Posts
1. If you’re running a USB wire from the battery tender pigtails to a handlebar mounted phone, will a 3.3” (1meter) length wire work or do you need the 6.6” (2m) wire?

2. I want to buy a Cramp Buster cruise control clips for a 2015 Scout handlebar. What is handlebar diameter? (I’m out of the country so can’t measure it).
The Go-Cruise is $30 on Amazon, and if you have prime, you can probably get it by Wednesday night :)

22EA3703-419C-4E7A-BEA7-9AE237B0439E.jpeg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts