Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I'm going to be renting a Roadmaster to take to Sturgis next week and I want to be able to play music from my Iphone 6 on the ride. I understand that there is a USB port of some sort on the bike that you can use to play music through but I figured that was for Android devices only. Maybe I can get an adapter to use this to charge my iphone on the ride? But as for the music, is there an audio port on the Roadmaster? I've read in a few places that there is but everything I've seen about this bike is really vague on these issues. Even the manual for the bike is very vague.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

·
Registered
432 Posts
You need your lightning cord to usb ( standard iPhone charging cord) this will charge your phone and play your music. There is an access door on the right side of the fairing with a pouch to hold your phone, this is where the usb connection is as well

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That's what I figured. The manual for the roadmaster shows an illustration of there being an actual USB cord coming out of the bike, not a USB port, so that's why I was confused. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks. That's what I figured. The manual for the roadmaster shows an illustration of there being an actual USB cord coming out of the bike, not a USB port, so that's why I was confused. Thanks for the heads up.
Technically it is a cord with a female end, to accept your lightning cable.

·
Bronze member
2,915 Posts
Just Bluetooth it. Charge your phone in the saddlebag or trunk with a cig lighter/iPhone cord. Much easier location to access your phone than using the fairing trapdoor location.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I put music on USB thumb drives and plug into the cord in the fairing. You can put a lot of music on a 16 gB thumb drive. I also use the Bluetooth connection to my iPhone that is either in my pocket or charging (see above) in the top box. Either way works pretty well. Have fun!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bluetooth is fine, but I wanted it to be on a charger, so I figured I'd kill 2 birds with one stone. Are there other charging ports (cig lighter, usb, etc.) on the bike?

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
Bluetooth is fine, but I wanted it to be on a charger, so I figured I'd kill 2 birds with one stone. Are there other charging ports (cig lighter, usb, etc.) on the bike?
Yes use the Iphone in the access door plugged into the usb. It is the best way to listen to music from your Iphone. You will be able to use the handlebar controls to access your songs from a list on the screen. If you use a flash drive then you will only be able to track forward and back, and if you blutooth then you will need to have a handlebar mount so you can see/manipulate the screen to access your music.

I'm sure that others are saying to use the other methods because it is a slight pain to use the access door if you will be taking the phone in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out all day long. Ipod is actually the best device to plug into that usb and leave it there.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes, there are two other charging ports (not counting the one on the dashboard). They are both cigarette lighter-style so you'll need an adapter for your iPhone that plugs into cig lighters but one is in the trunk and the other is in the right saddle bag. I've used both in just this way - plug in the iPhone to charge it and then Bluetooth to hear the music.

chefn24 is right - if you use a flash drive, then you're only able to go forward and backward through the list (if you put the music into folders, you can skip to the next folder). I don't care about that - I just let the music play (and since I have impeccable taste in music, all of my music is good). He's also correct about that little access door being a pain to take your phone out and put it back in every time you want to use it at stops.

·
Bronze member
2,915 Posts
One in the trunk and one in saddlebag. Just charge and bluetooth at same time - that's what I do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts