Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did this to add a USB charging port for my 2018 Chief, thought it would be useful for others too. Took less than 20 mins and cost <$50. Should work on other MY Chiefs and Dark horses too..

Part A

Step 1: Locate the pre wired delphi accessory port. It should have a black and grey wire. Most posts led me to think that the headlight nacelle needs to be removed, which if posts and videos are to be believed is a PITA, however, I was able to locate this by just turning the handlebar to the right all the way:

This port is pre-wired through the VCM and has 12 VDC across the two pins. The black wire is 0V and Grey/Gray is +12V DC. When the ignition is turned off this turns off too, so no chance of draining battery with leakage currents.

Step 2: Acquire parts to make a delphi to SAE harness. I bought all these from Amazon. I tried to buy moderately expensive parts, for e.g. the USB charger: there are several to choose from but I wanted to go with a name brand instead of getting a generic Chinese item that some reviews show catching on fire.

Step 3: Make the harness:

Step 4: Route the harness and connect it to the accessory port. Don't forget to route it through the handle-bar!

More photos in the next post...
If you don't want go through the trouble of soldering and making the harness, I can make one and ship it to you for $25 (incl shipping to the 48 C-US).

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've found two of these connectors up in front of the headstock. One is cabled by grey & black wires, the other is cabled by green/red and black wires. I assumed these were for the heated grips (which I've ordered).

Can anyone confirm these are for the heated grips? I can't find any other unused connectors.

·
Registered
116 Posts
There is a white connector available for use in each switch housing just dangling free down and to the left of the shown cruise control in the photo. I assumed these were for heated grips.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
I took another look, and found two cables with green/red and black wires. So these must be for the heated grips, and the black and grey cable must be for the accessory of my choice. The schematic I have for the Indian Chief doesn't reflect this, so I hope the heated grips I have ordered will be the right ones when they arrive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The photo you have posted implies the cabling is already present for the heated grips. Mine is a 2017 Chief, perhaps the later version got the cables already installed. Makes for a tidy handlebar arrangement.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The photo you have posted implies the cabling is already present for the heated grips. Mine is a 2017 Chief, perhaps the later version got the cables already installed. Makes for a tidy handlebar arrangement.
For 2018 and up they did prewire the bars for the heated grips, before that you gotta feed the wires thru the bars.

Also to the OP, the connector changed in 2019 so while still same concept, it’s not a Delphi connector anymore. 2018 and before should be same though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts