Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No matter what I plug into the USB, I get "No Device" when I select it as the audio source. I tried: my smartphone (an HTC One), my wife's smartphone (a mostly newish LG Android device), an ancient iPod Touch (not putting stock in this one, it's ancient and probably needs updated), and also a normal 16GB flash drive that DOES have music files on it.

The phones and the iPod both "see" the connection (the charging indicators show up) but the bike still says "No Device."

What did I miss? o_O

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The plot thickens - I found an ancient, crusty, Kingston 2GB thumb drive... bam... that one works fine. But not my nicer, newer, high-speed 16GB PNY one. O_O

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,112 Posts
It doesn't recognize Androids, just Apple products (iPhone/iPod, etc...) and USB memory with WAV, OGG, MP3, FLAC
music files:. Not sure why the 16GB PNY drive doesn't work unless it doesn't have any of those files.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It doesn't recognize Androids, just Apple products (iPhone/iPod, etc...) and USB memory with WAV, OGG, MP3, FLAC
music files:. Not sure why the 16GB PNY drive doesn't work unless it doesn't have any of those files.
It has the same files as the Kingston. :D And it works fine on my computer (as I just loaded it with music especially for this test).

And still not sure why it's not seeing the iPod Touch, but the thing is beat to hell - it works fine on my computer and worked fine on my last 2 bikes, but who the hell knows. That's less important anyway.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Lots of devices are sensitive to which USB stick is used. I have a Hammond organ with a USB port, and I have gone through over a dozen sticks to find one that works.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
No matter what I plug into the USB, I get "No Device" when I select it as the audio source. I tried: my smartphone (an HTC One), my wife's smartphone (a mostly newish LG Android device), an ancient iPod Touch (not putting stock in this one, it's ancient and probably needs updated), and also a normal 16GB flash drive that DOES have music files on it.

The phones and the iPod both "see" the connection (the charging indicators show up) but the bike still says "No Device."

What did I miss? o_O
What you describe is not that uncommon with on-board entertainment systems. Just check out similar complaints for MyFordTouch and GM's systems. Maybe Indian needs to come up with the fix...assuming their system is upgradeable. I guess the bikes are getting too much 'high tech" embedded into their designs...thus forcing them to periodic compatibility updates.

·
3,602 Posts
Some older USB sticks may be incompatible. If you have a new USB stick that is does not recognize try to reformat it and reload the recognizable music formats that Goatlocker95 mentioned and try again. I used a free Verbatim 8 gig memory stick and it works fine. I use MP3 and WAV music with no issues. Dean E.

·
3,602 Posts
What you describe is not that uncommon with on-board entertainment systems. Just check out similar complaints for MyFordTouch and GM's systems. Maybe Indian needs to come up with the fix...assuming their system is upgradeable. I guess the bikes are getting too much 'high tech" embedded into their designs...thus forcing them to periodic compatibility updates.

I have had issues with both GM and Ford usb ports. If I plug them in after the system is turned on it will recognize them and start working. If I turn the vehicle off and start again sometimes it will not see the memory stick. I do not see this as a issue with the memory stick but some software glitch with the entertainment system. Actually the aftermarket systems you can put into cars are much more reliable with memory sticks than any factory system I have worked with. The Verbatim 8 gig memory stick I got free from OfficeMax works perfectly on the Indian system. Dean E

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some older USB sticks may be incompatible. If you have a new USB stick that is does not recognize try to reformat it and reload the recognizable music formats that Goatlocker95 mentioned and try again. I used a free Verbatim 8 gig memory stick and it works fine. I use MP3 and WAV music with no issues. Dean E.
Yeah oddly in this case, the ancient one works, and the brand new, super high speed one doesn't work at all.

I can reformat it, sure. Though it works fine on both our computers. o_O

I've never had this problem with USB devices before.

·
3,602 Posts
Yeah oddly in this case, the ancient one works, and the brand new, super high speed one doesn't work at all.

I can reformat it, sure. Though it works fine on both our computers. o_O

I've never had this problem with USB devices before.
It may be an issue with the size of the memory stick also. I have seen this happen also. I use a 8 gig stick with 320 bit sampling or WAV files and have over 400 songs on the stick and am barely over 4 gigs on that stick. Try a smaller one and see if that makes a difference. Dean E

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bingo. While reformatting the new, non-working stick, I realized it was probably formatted NTFS since the last thing I used it for was staging the build of this machine, so... yeah. Formatting FAT32, it works fine in the bike.

Woot, thanks guys. :)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Bingo. While reformatting the new, non-working stick, I realized it was probably formatted NTFS since the last thing I used it for was staging the build of this machine, so... yeah. Formatting FAT32, it works fine in the bike.

Woot, thanks guys. :)
Good to know, thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
soooo is the conclusion that android phones arent going to work???? I tried mine yesterday and like you said the charging works but it says no device. Seems like a software upgrade is in ordero_O

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
soooo is the conclusion that android phones arent going to work???? I tried mine yesterday and like you said the charging works but it says no device. Seems like a software upgrade is in ordero_O
Yeah, sadly, no Android via direct connection. Bluetooth works fine though. (Unless you happen to be running Cyanogenmod 11, but that's fine, it is beta software~)

Luckily memory sticks are ridiculously cheap now, and require no charging.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So if I can sum up what was found. If you want to use a USB stick for music, first format it FAT32 and add music.

Ride Safe
Yessir.

I had even forgotten filesystem type was even A Thing(tm) when formatting the things. It's something you rarely do. I'd formatted this one like a year - 1.5 years ago when I built my machine - and Win8 likes to boot-for-install from an NTFS stick, but the bike needs a FAT32 stick.

Now we know!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The reason I wanted to know is that I wrote a manual on how to setup an iPod for the Victory Vision. It was a step by step PDF. Here is a link to the post about that document. Vision-Riders

I was thinking of doing a how to for the Roadmaster audio.

I own a 2008 Victory Vision and in 2018 I feel that a Indian Roadmaster will be mine. I did a test ride this weekend and it is really nice.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
86 Posts
Does it work when you plug it in the USB. Turn off the power on the bike then turn it back on while in the USB mode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The reason I wanted to know is that I wrote a manual on how to setup an iPod for the Victory Vision. It was a step by step PDF. Here is a link to the post about that document. Vision-Riders

I was thinking of doing a how to for the Roadmaster audio.

I own a 2008 Victory Vision and in 2018 I feel that a Indian Roadmaster will be mine. I did a test ride this weekend and it is really nice.

Ride Safe
I know! I used your guide pretty heavily, as I came from a '11 XC and then a '14 Vision Tour. :) Great guide, even if you did miss a couple features of the system. (I prefer to step through by Album, and you can do that from the hand controls on the XC and Vision, etc.)

I'd love to see a guide for the Roadmaster. Let me know if I can help in any way.

(BTW, W9SPL here. :) )

1 - 20 of 26 Posts