Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Usb Music

5K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  MarkJ 
#1 ·
While i am listening to usb. I switch to FM it says i am on FM radio but i am still listening to the usb. I unplug the usb and i get dead air. I have to turn off the engine for 30 sec. then i start it. works. it has happened a few times. very frosting

#3 ·
Any one have a problem with the speakers in the fairing not playing ,but all the bluetooth ,radio,and usb work through my headset. This just occured in the last couple of weeks ,everything was working fine and all of a sudden the speakers just quit producing sound.I'm looking for a solution and or fix. The symtom was play a couple of words click like it was skipping ,play a couple skip couple more skip and then just quit altogether.

#4 ·
I get anomalies now and then with the USB feature. But most are no sound from USB but FM sound is fine. Makes zero sense. At some point if I ride long enough the USB will start working again or if I shut everything off and wait a bit, everything works when turned back on. Electrical or computer glitch of some kind is all I can figure. I never have a solid failure.

#9 ·
USB music issue: Bought my new 2020 Challenger about 3 weeks ago--it has been back to the dealer twice for electrical issues but I believe those are now resolved and I'm finally getting to ride. So, being 73 yo I'm a bit "technologically challenged" with regard to a lot of electronics and I'm having an issue playing my recorded music through the bike's USB port. I read in the manual that the USB port for playing music is for iphones i5 and later. So I'm not surprised that when I plug up my old ipod the music won't play on this bike (it worked fine on my Harley). OK, guess I need something later but I don't want to throw money at an i5 or later phone if I can avoid that. So, my wife has a nanopod that I can use and she loaded my "oldies" playlist to the nanopod which already had a number of playlists on it with her kind of music.

I plugged the nanopod into the bike, selected USB mode, saw on the Ride Command screen the system read the USB and the music started playing. Great! And in turning up the volume I was very pleased that the sound "quality" was much better and clearer than what I was hearing when listening to radio stations--but that could have been not so great reception from the radio stations.

But the issue I am having is that even though I first turn on the nanopod, then select "music" then "playlists" then my particular oldies playlist and start the music then plug the nanopod into the bike just like I used to do on my Harley, the bike will play a selection from my oldies playlist then the next selection will be from a different playlist, so forth and so on. Seems the song selection will vary from playlist to a different playlist most every time another selection comes up. Have been playing around with it and can't get it to stay on any selected playlist. ???

I suppose it could be that the nanopod I'm using is not up to par with an i5 or later iphone as the manual says I should use to play music with. But...., before I even think about getting an i5 or later just to play music through I wanted to see if any of you folks have had and/or resolved this issue.

Thanks in advance for any info.

#11 ·
This may be just a settings issue in the iPod itself or it could be a physical switch on the iPod itself on older generations. First look for a physical switch on the iPod and try switching it the other direction. If this works then you know that this switch is Yoder culprit and that this switch is meant to shuffle songs. If there is no switch or that does not solve your problem, go into your settings on the iPod and make sure there are no shuffle settings that will make the iPod shuffle all songs on the device instead of from a single playlist. This will obviously only be an option if your nano has a screen. I believe there were a few iPod nano’s made without screens, but those specifically should have the physical shuffle switch previously mentioned. Search through all of your settings to find anything related to shuffling or playlist settings and if you do have a screen on the device, try to google apples’ icons for shuffle, repeat, and repeat single song as this should be somewhere visible during playing a song and may help you determine if the iPod is definitely using shuffle mode. If you do see one of these icons then you should be able to google how to change this mode on your specific generation of iPod. The model/generation should also be written either on the back of the device in small words or in the settings under the general/about tabs. If you find no physical switches and no luck with the settings, then try turning the device off and back on. This will sometimes help the device restore some functions. If all else fails, there are two more things that may work. If the iPod has not been connected to a computer and updated in a long time, it may be time to try this. After that, your final option is a full reset/ factory reset to the device to completely wipe the device of all music and restore it to factory settings. Then you can put your music back on the device and try again. If the device is still shuffling randomly, it’s probably broken and may be time for a new one. The newer small iPods today are pretty cheap compared to the iPhones anyway. You could probably even find an older REALLY cheap IPod on eBay too. You can also look for regular MP3 players that are really cheap nowadays if you have mostly mp3 formatted music on your computer.
Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck!

#12 ·
Bear, thank you very much for your comments and ideas. I have previously tried turning on and off the shuffle feature on the nanopod as well as the shuffle symbol on the Ride Command screen--to no avail. Unlike the Ride Command screen on the bike the nanopod has an option to shuffle or not at the start of the songs listed on a playlist but once the song starts playing that screen goes away and you only see a screen showing the song title and the time remaining for that selection. My wife (she is much better working with this stuff than I am) was looking at the settings/options on her nanopod (and it has a screen) and found an option named "Shake to Shuffle" whatever in the hell that is about. She turned it off but it didn't make any difference. I'm gonna check with my neighbor, he is a gadget guy for all things electronic LOL and I'm betting he has an MP3 player. Maybe I can load some music to it if there aren't playlists on it already and give that a try on the Challenger. A quick glance on the Internet shows an MP3 likely wouldn't be a big expenditure it it would work.

But I can't help but wonder that, if as stated in the owner's manual, if I were using an i5 or later version iphone I wouldn't be wrestling with this issue. ???

#13 ·
Ahh, sorry to hear that! You could very well be correct in assuming the software in the ride command isn’t fully compatible with an older device though. Maybe if you know someone with a newer device you could stop by their house and see if the issue persists? If it does, it could be the ride command software itself. You might want to try looking up if there’s a way to reset the ride command too if there’s any chance it could be the culprit. Other than that, I’m fresh out of ideas lol. I hope you figure it out or find some other way to remedy the issue. Good luck brother. Ride safe.

#14 ·
Bear, late note here. My bride, the resident computer guru, was able to load about half or so of my playlist from her laptop onto the USB stick that came with the bike. She didn't think she was successful as she tried to pull up a listing of what got loaded to the stick and it showed nothing. Looks as though nothing really got loaded. But...., I took the stick out to the garage and plugged it into the bike. Damn! It works! And since the only music on the stick is my old 50's and 60's rock and roll it ain't switching to none of the Celine Dion, Tony Bennett or other (IMHO) crap my wife has on her play lists. She doesn't know if she got the USB stick full, half full or otherwise cause looking at her laptop it doesn't appear ANYTHING got loaded, but it did.

After she rests up from this ordeal and has time to think about it maybe she can get the rest of the oldies selections loaded. And I suppose that, if necessary, we could get a USB stick with more than the stated 32 whatever it is marked on the stick that came with the bike.

I really love to listen to my old rock and roll tunes when I ride and now I may be back in business.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Joe

#15 ·
Oh! That’s awesome Joe! Glad to hear you figured out something that works for you man. Yea they make USB drives that come in all different sizes nowadays that have incredibly large capacities, I think you can even find some on Amazon that have a full Terrabyte! (1000 Gigabytes) which is a little over 30 times the amount of the one you have now. Of course the really nice ones will be pretty expensive at that capacity just because they probably have super high speed capabilities, but I seriously doubt you would need one with such high speed ratings for music files, you should be fine Wu try a cheap one. The high speed ones are typically used for trying to run crazy complicated development software on your computer that is too large of a file or to fit on the computer itself or the computer can’t handle the processing power of the program. If you do look for a new one, I suggest looking for a cheaper one (around $30-40) with a reasonable capacity upgrade for your needs (256GB should be more than enough unless your music files are downloaded in high fidelity, then I might consider another step up to 512GB) and then try to find one in that size that’s USB 3.0. The 3.0 is considered high speed (transfer rate of about 5GB per second). Technically you probably don’t even need a 3.0, you could probably get away with a 2.0, but I figure better safe than sorry and the 3.0 ones are cheap enough these days. There are even 3.1 USB’s as well with transfer rates at 10GB per second, but unless you also plan on using this thing for other tasks on a computer, you really don’t need a 3.1.

Some of that may be more than you needed to know, but I tried to explain as best as I could so you know what you’re looking for. If you use Amazon to search for one just type “256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive” in the search bar and there should be endless pages of them listed. The first number in the search followed by the GB is your capacity or amount of storage. USB stands for Universal Serial Bus which just refers to the name of the type of port/connection. The 3.0 number just refers to the generation and speed of the device. And a “flash drive” is just the name/term used for these smaller devices that store data on them, opposed to say an “External Hard drive” which looks more like a brick or bigger rectangle device that’s capable of holding even more storage and transfers at even higher speeds.

If your wife is tech savvy enough, and the issue persists where you cannot see the files on the device, it may be beneficial to wipe the drive and reformat it to what they call FAT-32. This formatting allows both windows and Apple(Mac) files to be written and read and unless this is done when you first get the device, usually flash drives are formatted to only work with windows computers. I’m not sure if you’re using ITunes to transfer the songs or not, but that could be your issue as well with not being able to read the drive. It is also possible for the opposite to happen where the device comes pre formatted for Macs. And it is also possible that the drive has somehow been corrupted and may need to be reformatted to be able to function properly.

I understand this is a lot to take in. Lol but take everything I’ve said with a grain of salt, I am in no way a computer expert. I have only learned what I know from my own research in trying to buy the best quality products and troubleshooting my own problems.

Please don’t hesitate to ask anything else on the subject, it’s always a pleasure to help a fellow rider.

P.S. I had read another forum on here earlier that said they were having trouble with their USB playing songs on the ride command and the later comments figured out that it was due to the loose connection of the device itself. So just for future reference if this ever happens, they said they were able to resolve this by squeezing the USB flash drive with pliers to bend it a bit to make a tighter connection. Otherwise other riders had solved the same issue by simply buying a different USB flash drive that fit better because it was just a hair bigger, taller, or wider somehow.

Again, best wishes man, I’m glad the oldies are kickin again and I hope the wife feels better soon!

-Chris

#18 ·
Challengers and USB thumb drives are a real pain in the ass, been back to my dealer several times for issues you mention and other weird issues that i have experienced, they were clueless like i was the only one with issues but they did call polaris and was told music had to be mp3 format, dont have these issues with my 2019 roadmaster and dont understand why they would do anything differently on the challenger but its annoying

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.