Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone has cracked the code on getting the system to index songs more quickly. Generally I'm running off bluetooth from my phone, but if I get into an area with bad connectivity, I'd like to switch to USB. I have approximately 80gb of music, and when I switch, it will take an inordinately long amount of time to index the music, and then it will want to do that every time the bike starts up. In addition, when you're indexing, you can't switch off it, and the only way to stop it is to remove the USB drive. Any suggestions are appreciated!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone has cracked the code on getting the system to index songs more quickly. Generally I'm running off bluetooth from my phone, but if I get into an area with bad connectivity, I'd like to switch to USB. I have approximately 80gb of music, and when I switch, it will take an inordinately long amount of time to index the music, and then it will want to do that every time the bike starts up. In addition, when you're indexing, you can't switch off it, and the only way to stop it is to remove the USB drive. Any suggestions are appreciated!
80gb overloads the available ROM and RAM to efficiently build an index file ... when it was designed, 16gb was likely the target engineers built to. Encoded at 128k, you can store about 350 songs per gb, or ~17hrs of music. Try a much smaller set of riding tunes and I’ll bet it indexes swiftly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have zero problems with 64gb of music. Once the initial indexing is complete, there might be a few seconds delay switching from BT to USB. I have found no difference using USB 3.0 vs. 2.0 but I do like the faster speed when transferring files to the flash drive. FWIW, I tried using an 128gb drive and it was a disaster. I'm using both FAT32 and NTFS as some of my music files exceed the FAT 32 limit.

·
Registered
123 Posts
On my 2018 Roadmaster I am using a 128g flash drive formatted FAT32 with no problems at all.
Currently using 114g of the available space - 8580 files.
There is a short indexing time at startup - around 5-10 seconds - then it works flawlessly.
My only problem is that there is TOO much music on the flash drive .... i seem to spend more time skipping songs that actually playing them.
Probably gonna have to delete a LOT of them just for better usability.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On my 2018 Roadmaster I am using a 128g flash drive formatted FAT32 with no problems at all.
Currently using 114g of the available space - 8580 files.
There is a short indexing time at startup - around 5-10 seconds - then it works flawlessly.
My only problem is that there is TOO much music on the flash drive .... i seem to spend more time skipping songs that actually playing them.
Probably gonna have to delete a LOT of them just for better usability.
How do you have them organized on the drive?

·
Registered
123 Posts
They are in folders by “artist” wth sub folders by “album”
In Ride Command I select “Songs” then “play all” and shuffle.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
They are in folders by “artist” wth sub folders by “album”
In Ride Command I select “Songs” then “play all” and shuffle.
Ok. Maybe I need to reformat the drive to FAT32 (I'll have to look how I have it).

Edit: I have it on FAT32. I have no idea what my problem is. 🤣

Edit 2: I just tried it and it indexed pretty quickly. I think maybe the last firmware update fixed it and I just hadn't tried it since. Thanks for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts