Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

USB music 2019 Chieftain

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Nightdriver 
#1 ·
So I finally got around to putting some music on a USB thumb drive. When I insert it into my 2019 Chieftain's USB port it does not recognize it. Now admittedly it's an old thumb drive that I had laying around for God knows how long. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue or should I just go and get an up to date drive. Maybe it's a speed thing? Or transfer rate? Just guessing.

#8 ·
Files are .wma and yes I did format the drive first but not sure if its fat32, though that is common. My guess is if anything it's the format because it does not even recognize the drive (no usb connected) rather than cant read the files.

I'll try to format it again, but also just order a new drive they are cheap. I was just surprised when it did not recognize it. I'm trying to avoid using my phone (as I used to do) since we have this USB option. Thanks all.

#9 ·
Larger USB drives are defaulted to exFAT which ride command doesn’t recognize. Windows 10 computers default to exFAT and don’t give the option for FAT32 unless the drive is already formatted to that. Usually you have to download a free FAT32 format program to do it.

FAT32 is a very common file format and was used and still is in many infotainment and gps system. The issue is Windows changed the file format on larger size USB drives for better efficiency.

exFat has been around for a while but many companies and developers are/were to lazy to redesign their systems to recognize exFAT and NTFS file systems.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.