Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got around to putting some music on a USB thumb drive. When I insert it into my 2019 Chieftain's USB port it does not recognize it. Now admittedly it's an old thumb drive that I had laying around for God knows how long. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue or should I just go and get an up to date drive. Maybe it's a speed thing? Or transfer rate? Just guessing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Maybe try to format the USB drive first. I forget off hand what type it reads

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
What are the audio formats on the flash drive (for example, mp3 is a common format but there are others).

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Files are .wma and yes I did format the drive first but not sure if its fat32, though that is common. My guess is if anything it's the format because it does not even recognize the drive (no usb connected) rather than cant read the files.

I'll try to format it again, but also just order a new drive they are cheap. I was just surprised when it did not recognize it. I'm trying to avoid using my phone (as I used to do) since we have this USB option. Thanks all.

·
Bronze member
4,113 Posts
Larger USB drives are defaulted to exFAT which ride command doesn’t recognize. Windows 10 computers default to exFAT and don’t give the option for FAT32 unless the drive is already formatted to that. Usually you have to download a free FAT32 format program to do it.

FAT32 is a very common file format and was used and still is in many infotainment and gps system. The issue is Windows changed the file format on larger size USB drives for better efficiency.

exFat has been around for a while but many companies and developers are/were to lazy to redesign their systems to recognize exFAT and NTFS file systems.

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Larger USB drives are defaulted to exFAT which ride command doesn’t recognize. Windows 10 computers default to exFAT and don’t give the option for FAT32 unless the drive is already formatted to that. Usually you have to download a free FAT32 format program to do it.

FAT32 is a very common file format and was used and still is in many infotainment and gps system. The issue is Windows changed the file format on larger size USB drives for better efficiency.

exFat has been around for a while but many companies and developers are/were to lazy to redesign their systems to recognize exFAT and NTFS file systems.
Thanks! I'll do some digging and see what I find out about that information.

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks! I had a 32gb drive that was formatted fat32. That worked like a charm! Now I can stop using my phone unless I want to stream Pandora which is not often.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use a 256 gb USB3.0 drive that is formatted to FAT32. It's nearly filled with WAV files and performs flawlessly.

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use a 256 gb USB3.0 drive that is formatted to FAT32. It's nearly filled with WAV files and performs flawlessly.
Thanks, seems fat32 is the key here. My 32gb drive just happened to already be fat32 formatted. I'll have to find and install a good formatted for the future.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think I have the issues with mine sorted out.

I was using this converter..

YouTube to MP3 Converter - Convert YouTube to MP3 in 320kbps

When I 1st started using it I had the mp3 set to the 320kbps

I thought I'd try the lowest setting at 64kbps and I tried the webm 50kbps and that seemed to work as well.

Now, I've only been able to try 1 song but it hasn't skipped like all the others so when I have time this week I'm going to see if I load the stick up with more and see how that works...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts