Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Added a USB charging adapter to the headlight nacelle. Got a USB cable that is L shaped so that it doesn't interfere with the steering.

Attachments

·
Silver member
5,044 Posts
Nice. I have been wanting to do that on mine. Did you have to drill the nacelle or was there a knock out there. Mine would have to go on the right side as the spot light power is on the left side so I am leary of drilling a hole through my chrome nacelle...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is this an Indian accessory or after market? I was thinking of using a USB dongle attached to the battery but this is so much cleaner? I need to do this!

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a ton, this is great. Why did you need the connector?
If connects directly to a male connector under the nacelle that is apart of the wiring harness. From what I understand, Indian uses the same wiring harness for the Chief and Chieftain (and possibly other models too). That connector is what powers the options on the fairing. Since the Chief doesn't have the fairing, that connector is just there. Look at the 4th picture, 20200714_194716.jpg , it will show you the connector, it's on the other side of the punch out (that's where I saw it on my bike). They connect perfectly. Makes it pretty much plug and play. Well, once you connect the USB chager to the female connector.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If connects directly to a male connector under the nacelle that is apart of the wiring harness. From what I understand, Indian uses the same wiring harness for the Chief and Chieftain (and possibly other models too). That connector is what powers the options on the fairing. Since the Chief doesn't have the fairing, that connector is just there. Look at the 4th picture, 20200714_194716.jpg , it will show you the connector, it's on the other side of the punch out (that's where I saw it on my bike). They connect perfectly. Makes it pretty much plug and play. Well, once you connect the USB chager to the female connector.
So to confirm. All you had to do was connect the female connector to the USB and plug it into the free male??

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah. Pretty much plug and play. Pretty awesome. This was on a chief dark horse. So to be on the safe side if you riding another model, I would double check real quick to make sure the male connector is there under the nacelle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I picked up everything and it was very easy to set up. I just don't have power. I can see 2 free plugs like the one you used. They are labeled Left and Right Aux Lights. Is this the one you used or is there another one I a missing?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I only had one free plug and it wasn't labeled. I'll shoot some pictures tonight when I get home.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Right on bro. Yeah, it's weird that those are backwards.
Glad it's working.
Sorry it took so long to get back, I just got home.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I got under my vintage today and found two plugs. One on each side of the nacelle. But no power to either. Does the engine need to be running?

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I found a switch 12 connector under the nacelle that was taped up, but it looks like this... anyone know what this is?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts