Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy.
So, to start I'm more tech inclined that auto, but learning. That being said, Im looking for feedback concerning upgrade order of operations. Next spring I'm going to do a stage one one my '17 Chief DH. Don't yet know if I'll go beyond that, or if so, when.
So, my question. I've had many recommendations to go with a PCV regardless of whether or not post stage one happens. So, would it be beneficial to go ahead and do the PCV now? Is AutoTune overkill until post stage one?
Finally, any recommended brands for S1 brand/buildouts that have worked particularly well for you?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
208 Posts
PCV is great and Ive heard Dynajet is too. KSS system PCV wins. Lloydz.com have exhaust Filter and PCV. There are many brands that make exhaust. Personally I'm going with Lloydz filter, and either his exhaust or V and H turn down exhaust. Leaning toward PCV but may go with Dynajet.

Reactions: Proxy

·
Senior member / gold
6,413 Posts
I first installed a $75.00 K&N air filter in my bedpan housing. Some say this upgrade is similar to the Stage 1 air filter. I don't know about that one, but it is considerably cheaper. I noticed an improvement in performance right away. Next, while perusing the local Craigslist, someone posted an Indian Stage 1 slipons with six-shooter tips for $350. I immediately called him and cried poor, which I am, and got him down to $150. He also threw in the rest of the exhaust pipes from the heads back, including the cat. Immediate big boost in power and acceleration. I have not done any flashes to the ECU. I have heard rumors that the only things the flashes do is to bring the bike back to EPA emission standards. I can't deny or confirm the rumor, but it runs like a scalded dog with no flashes. The fuel mileage is not spectacular, but I ride it like I stole it, so I can't complain. My next move is a Dobeck or PCV.

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
I first installed a $75.00 K&N air filter in my bedpan housing. Some say this upgrade is similar to the Stage 1 air filter. I don't know about that one, but it is considerably cheaper. I noticed an improvement in performance right away. Next, ... Indian Stage 1 slipons... I have not done any flashes to the ECU. I have heard rumors that the only things the flashes do is to bring the bike back to EPA emission standards. I can't deny or confirm the rumor, but it runs like a scalded dog with no flashes. The fuel mileage is not spectacular, but I ride it like I stole it, so I can't complain. My next move is a Dobeck or PCV.
For the sake of your machine and your future wallet, put a PVCX or a PC V or a Dobeck or whatever aftermarket fuel controller suits your fancy on that engine yesterday. Changing out the pipes alone you can get away with, but when you changed two legs of your air-exhaust-fuel triangle without changing the third, you have created a very lean condition in the motor. Think heat. Think valves. Think expensive. Spend the extra $250 - $400 bucks and save yourself future headache. Plus, you're going to fully realize the performance gain possible with your additions.

·
Senior member / gold
6,413 Posts
For the sake of your machine and your future wallet, put a PCVX or a PC V or a Dobeck or whatever aftermarket fuel controller suits your fancy on that engine yesterday. Changing out the pipes alone you can get away with, but when you changed two legs of your air-exhaust-fuel triangle without changing the third, you have created a very lean condition in the motor. Think heat. Think valves. Think expensive. Spend the extra $250 - $400 bucks and save yourself future headache. Plus, you're going to fully realize the performance gain possible with your additions.
I will definitely do it! Many thanx!

·
Bronze member
1,479 Posts
FORGET ,and I do mean FORGET the Dobeck and the PCV. NEITHER of these have the full tuning ability of the DynoJet PVCX tuner, you can get it thru Fuel Moto, a vendor on this forum.

The Dobeck ONLY allows for fuel adjustments, the PCV allows for fuel and ignition, BUT the PVCX allows full access to so many aspects of the Bosch ECU, especially the ride by wire parameters which makes a HUGE improvement in response that the other 2 systems CANNOT.

RACNRAY

Reactions: pyro

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
Quite so, that's my choice as well. I didn't want to sound like a salesman, I just wanted him to get his A/F ratio right.

·
Senior member / gold
6,413 Posts
FORGET ,and I do mean FORGET the Dobeck and the PCV. NEITHER of these have the full tuning ability of the DynoJet PVCX tuner, you can get it thru Fuel Moto, a vendor on this forum.

The Dobeck ONLY allows for fuel adjustments, the PCV allows for fuel and ignition, BUT the PVCX allows full access to so many aspects of the Bosch ECU, especially the ride by wire parameters which makes a HUGE improvement in response that the other 2 systems CANNOT.

RACNRAY
I'll give you a shout for the install. I live in Boca, which is just a hoot and a holler from you in Hollywood. That is... if we all survive "The Monster of the Caribbean", Hurricane Irma. She's headed in our direction!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts