Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to know has anyone upgraded their 2014-2016 Chieftain Infotainment System to the new 2017 Ride Command system? If so how did you get it done and how much did it cost without having to buy a new bike. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
While anything can be done if you throw enough money at it, I would say you would be better off buying a 17 model with the upgraded electronics.

Mark

·
Founding member / Distinguished
Indians. LOTS of Indians
3,856 Posts
I wanted to know has anyone upgraded their 2014-2016 Chieftain Infotainment System to the new 2017 Ride Command system? If so how did you get it done and how much did it cost without have to buy a new bike. Thanks!
Go buy a purdy GPS and mount it..... cheaper :)

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
I wanted to know has anyone upgraded their 2014-2016 Chieftain Infotainment System to the new 2017 Ride Command system? If so how did you get it done and how much did it cost without have to buy a new bike. Thanks!
Estimated cost of 10 Grand per the Dealer, not only difference in inner fairing, but different wiring harness and ECU setup, etc.

I love the dash on my 2015 Chieftain and don't care for a flat screen TV on a motorcycle, but to each their own.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Estimated cost of 10 Grand per the Dealer, not only difference in inner fairing, but different wiring harness and ECU setup, etc.

I love the dash on my 2015 Chieftain and don't care for a flat screen TV on a motorcycle, but to each their own.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well
Holy canoli 10k is absurd! Yeah I will definitely have to pass on that one. I will stick with my RAM mount and iPhone 7 plus.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I wanted to know has anyone upgraded their 2014-2016 Chieftain Infotainment System to the new 2017 Ride Command system? If so how did you get it done and how much did it cost without having to buy a new bike. Thanks!
I think that is the beauty of blue tooth tech. I use my phone plug in directions jam my music and a pretty voice interupts my music and tells me where to turn. I don't need to look at the map, it is a distraction anyway. Just my humble thoughts.

·
Registered
339 Posts
IMG_0346.JPG I purchased the Indian mount and a Rokform case for my iPhone 7 plus. When the phone is plugged in to the dongle under the dash I get turn by turn over the speakers, can control pandora, iTunes etc from the left handlebar pod. Or I can plug the phone into the accessory port on the dash I can connect via Bluetooth and still get turn by turn, music etc. it's still no Ride Command but works great for me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
View attachment 315377 I purchased the Indian mount and a Rokform case for my iPhone 7 plus. When the phone is plugged in to the dongle under the dash I get turn by turn over the speakers, can control pandora, iTunes etc from the left handlebar pod. Or I can plug the phone into the accessory port on the dash I can connect via Bluetooth and still get turn by turn, music etc. it's still no Ride Command but works great for me.
Where is that Rokform mounted at?

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
I installed a Garmin Zumo with Sirius/XM radio on a RAM mount and wired it right to the radio with the port already hanging in the fairing. Love it. Very clean, great radio options, nav works. I never listen to terrestrial radio anymore.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I spoke to a dealer who did a similar such major mod for a client (very costly)... almost everyone would say "WHY?", including myself. Some folks just must have money to burn.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just didn't like how closed in the Ride Command system made me feel when I test rode a bike with one on it. The infotainment system on the Chieftain just seems perfect. But as you all said, everyone is different.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I installed a Garmin Zumo with Sirius/XM radio on a RAM mount and wired it right to the radio with the port already hanging in the fairing. Love it. Very clean, great radio options, nav works. I never listen to terrestrial radio anymore.
Can we see some pic's please

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
I'll try and take some. It's very straightforward, and there are other threads that describe doing this. RAM mount on handlebars where you would like. Cables from the Zumo dock (one for audio/power and the other for the XM Radio puck antenna) zip tied to handlebars down the fairing. On the left side of the bike in the fairing is the pigtail with the plug; the interface is available online. Plug the Garmin cable into the interface cable and into the pigtail. I put the puck on top of the dash for best reception and ran the cable down into the dash, back around to the dock. Zip tie everything in place. Ensure that you are not interfering with the windshield. Two years and 20K later, still loving the setup.

Harness Adapter Cable

Plug-n-Play Cable for Garmin Zumo

Reactions: dmarkjohn

·
Registered
27 Posts
On a somewhat related topic it is possible to upgrade the infotainment system on a 2018 Chieftain (which doesn't include Ride Command) with the Ride Command functionality. It's an option that, of course, costs $. Dealer started to explain it to me but he got pulled away and I didn't have time to wait for him to return. I went in to look at the Chieftain DH I'm planning to buy and they had a Chieftain on the floor, the gray one. I liked it and started to discuss the differences but had to run.

·
Registered
58 Posts
On a somewhat related topic it is possible to upgrade the infotainment system on a 2018 Chieftain (which doesn't include Ride Command) with the Ride Command functionality. It's an option that, of course, costs $. Dealer started to explain it to me but he got pulled away and I didn't have time to wait for him to return. I went in to look at the Chieftain DH I'm planning to buy and they had a Chieftain on the floor, the gray one. I liked it and started to discuss the differences but had to run.
All 2018 Models come with Ride command - the only 2017 model that didn't was the Chieftain Dark Horse. However that's been upgraded for 2018.

Honestly - if you want Ride Command, get a 1017 or 2018 bike (excluding the 2017 DH) - the later bikes also come with a lot more small improvements, making the whole bike better

·
Registered
114 Posts
All 2018 Models come with Ride command - the only 2017 model that didn't was the Chieftain Dark Horse. However that's been upgraded for 2018.

Honestly - if you want Ride Command, get a 1017 or 2018 bike (excluding the 2017 DH) - the later bikes also come with a lot more small improvements, making the whole bike better
Note: some of the systems don’t come with navigation. There is a “navigation” accessory that is available on Indian’s website. The ride command is limited to bike and radio functions on some bikes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Note: some of the systems don’t come with navigation. There is a “navigation” accessory that is available on Indian’s website. The ride command is limited to bike and radio functions on some bikes.
Your correct - the GPS module is an extra n the base chieftain - however this is a much easier upgrade then trying too add full RC functionality to a 2016 bike or earlier

Reactions: dmarkjohn
1 - 20 of 38 Posts