Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We already discuss about the position of the upper exhaust of Indian Scout.
After burning two trousers and read the excellent post of Serious Stuff , I've search for a forceful solution.
Physics tell us that heat goes by tree ways:
  • Radiation
  • Conduction
  • Transfer ( convection in French, but I don't know the equivalent in English )
If it's possible to work on each parameter we have a chance to solve the problem.
1 ) Radiation is essentially caused by the sun. On this cause, nothing to do except ride only in the winter!
2 ) Conduction is when a piece of metal is in continuity with another piece of metal. That's we have with the clamp who hold the warm shield on the exhaust tube.
3 ) Transfer goes essentially by air. So more away you are from the exhaust tube, more you have chance to avoid heat.
First, I've wrapped a piece of nonconductor belt between exhaust tube and the clamp who hold the warm shield ( see picture 1 )

Second, I've pinned a second perforated warm shield (with spacer – approximately 0.3 inch) above the genuine warm shield. You'll find this perforated warm shield on the web for 30 US $.Due to the holes, when you're riding the wind makes the job and refrigerates the first warm cover.

Finish , the look is not so bad ( see picture 2 )

I check it and the result is terrific. Indeed after a 50 miles ride I can place a naked hand on the perforated warm shield without problem.
I hope this post will be helpful.
I apologize for mistakes in English, but French is my mother tongue.
Charly:giggle:

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Yes, it looks great. And if it's working that well, good job of engineering.

·
Bronze member
3,395 Posts
We already discuss about the position of the upper exhaust of Indian Scout.
After burning two trousers and read the excellent post of Serious Stuff , I've search for a forceful solution.
Physics tell us that heat goes by tree ways:
  • Radiation
  • Conduction
  • Transfer ( convection in French, but I don't know the equivalent in English )
If it's possible to work on each parameter we have a chance to solve the problem.
1 ) Radiation is essentially caused by the sun. On this cause, nothing to do except ride only in the winter!
2 ) Conduction is when a piece of metal is in continuity with another piece of metal. That's we have with the clamp who hold the warm shield on the exhaust tube.
3 ) Transfer goes essentially by air. So more away you are from the exhaust tube, more you have chance to avoid heat.
First, I've wrapped a piece of nonconductor belt between exhaust tube and the clamp who hold the warm shield ( see picture 1 ) View attachment 597711
Second, I've pinned a second perforated warm shield (with spacer – approximately 0.3 inch) above the genuine warm shield. You'll find this perforated warm shield on the web for 30 US $.Due to the holes, when you're riding the wind makes the job and refrigerates the first warm cover.

Finish , the look is not so bad ( see picture 2 ) View attachment 597712
View attachment 597713
I check it and the result is terrific. Indeed after a 50 miles ride I can place a naked hand on the perforated warm shield without problem.
I hope this post will be helpful.
I apologize for mistakes in English, but French is my mother tongue.
Charly:giggle:
I like it... I would finish out the look by putting another one on the front down by the floor board... if nothing else just to even the look out..

·
Registered
148 Posts
i find lots of straight ones.
care to provide a link to the curved item shown in ur pics? or did u bend it urself?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts