Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a 19 Vintage, I think I have new design pistons, I know I have new hand controls(don’t like over my 17), the ride modes-don’t use, rear cylinder deactivation- Love, Love it, the engine overall seems more powerful and refined over my 17 Roadmaster, I also found out the hard way that they switched to the larger Cheiftain/RM spools after I bought a backrest off of eBay for the older bikes. I guess I missed the rear shock update to air in 20, anyone know if it is the stock Chieftain shock or is it a different part number? I have a 17 air shock off my wife’s bike that I may use or sell.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
With the new switch blocks you will also have the new grips. These fit into the switch blocks very easily. The left grip is no longer screwed to the bar. This means that if you get heated grips they are a lot easier to fit. Now that there are two styles, make sure you get the grips that suit your bike. Same if you go for aftermarket grips.

Another update is a beefier cam chain tensioner. There is version 1 on the originals bikes, version 2 for a short time on 2018s, and beefier again version 3 for 2019 and up. You won't notice any difference unless on an early bike with a jammed tensioner. Same with upgraded pistons that got rid of clacking. 2019 got beefed up valve spring seats that will take cam upgrades better.

When they do an update on a part that will fit previous models, the parts list will show the updated part number. You'll probably need to look for the part number of your shock and compare it with the current listing.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, good info here. I think the engine feels and sounds completely different. Seems smoother and more refined but sounds "chirpy" at moderate speed and throttle. Still haven't really played with ride mode mapping, just like it the way it is.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Depending on what you mean by 'chirpy', it might need attention. A chirpy or wheezy sound can sometimes be a loose exhaust header gasket. The chirp is more noticeable under acceleration. The header bolts have a bit of a reputation for loosening up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have owned an earlier model, but I can say that I love the ride modes. There is a butt-dyno type difference in the sport mode versus the touring and standard modes that is pretty noticeable. Almost like a stage 1 upgrade going into sport mode.

I notice the chirp sound, too. Sounds like my Vic XC used to sound. Therefore, I am not concerned. So far, I’m really loving this ‘19 Vintage!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts