Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all. I am taking the FTR back for new rear break pads. The dealer asked if I wanted the newer ECU flash done. Mine still has the original one installed. My ? Is what’s the opinion on having them complete this?
I am going to go with the Fuel Moto PV3 in the near future. I remember that with the new flash it may have caused some issues that needed to be dealt with to work with the PV3. Second ? Will the PV3 now work with the latest update the dealer does?
Thanks all for any help or suggestions.

·
Rider
1,316 Posts
Good day all. I am taking the FTR back for new rear break pads. The dealer asked if I wanted the newer ECU flash done. Mine still has the original one installed. My ? Is what’s the opinion on having them complete this?
I am going to go with the Fuel Moto PV3 in the near future. I remember that with the new flash it may have caused some issues that needed to be dealt with to work with the PV3. Second ? Will the PV3 now work with the latest update the dealer does?
Thanks all for any help or suggestions.
I'm very satisfied with the OEM update. No one else seems to be. I think I got the Unicorn...

Reactions: Eeyore

·
Silver member
5,508 Posts
The above is not true. The PV-3 only overwrites certain tables (memory adresses in the ecu’s memory). With the new ecu software old maps won’t work (!!).

New maps are currently being developed, and the current status quo is still: old eco software with a recent map.

Things may change in the near future.

·
Rider
1,337 Posts
Max is correct there are other models that are experiencing similar issues like the Dark Horse and Craig has added the explanation as to why if you have a PV3 already and then subsequently have an OEM flash upgrade why it will no longer work.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If #1 is true and they have maps for the new ECU update, then it's a non-issue. If #2 is true and I don't have the latest update (which is quite possible), then why is it not plastered all over the pages where everyone sells the PV3 that it won't work if they have the latest flash and not to buy it if that's the case?

·
Silver member
5,508 Posts
Ah! FW2.9. You have the latest DJ firmware, that explains, and a map that works with the update ecu.

(so DJ fixed it, they initially released 2.8 to work with the newer ecu software, which didn’t perfectly work)

great news!

·
Bronze member
2,245 Posts
Yes they have new maps for the new software.

But they aren’t as refined as the maps they were working on for almost a year with the old software.

That’s why it’s recommended, if you have the old software and a tune, keep the old software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
478 Posts
Okay... I'll check it when I have a chance. The bike runs quite smooth now (plus I'm completely underwhelmed by my dealer's service thus far) so I would bet that I almost definitely have the old one based on what you guys are saying.

·
Silver member
5,508 Posts
Just check it (y)

The new ecu software has been out for a while now and tuners must be making great improvements you would think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all for you’re reply’s. Just arrived in Sturgis and they are going to flash it if it’s available I guess. Didn’t show on the service department’s computer as needing done but they will check tomorrow. Will then get the PV-3.

·
Bronze member
2,245 Posts
Get the pv3 and NO dealer flash. If you have the old software there are more tunes and configurations out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts