Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

Premium Member
Are there any changes or improvements for the Standard Challenger?
Or are the improvements only for the bikes with GPS activated?

Founding member / Distinguished
Just took a quick ride to work and the NAV doesn鈥檛 follow the road very well. I also downloaded the map update last night so I鈥檒l install that later and see if that helps.
I did see traffic on the bigger roads but didn鈥檛 notice anything as far as speed indication. That might be because it鈥檚 not following the road though.

Registered
On the website and several of us have already updated. Just download it put it on the USB thumb drive plugged in and hit the update button don't pay the shop to do it takes less than 30 seconds.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
I'm Fred Flintstone from the town of Bedrock, but I'll take a look. So, go on Indian site, download, plug in the supplied drive, load it, then plug into bike and power up? At what point do I see the update button? Or does the Chally "see it" right away after boot up???

Registered
I'm Fred Flintstone from the town of Bedrock, but I'll take a look. So, go on Indian site, download, plug in the supplied drive, load it, then plug into bike and power up? At what point do I see the update button? Or does the Chally "see it" right away after boot up???
Instructions are on the website if you can manage to get around on this forum you can manage the update. The link is up above somebody already posted it in an earlier comment above.

Registered

Step by step instructions are with the link on this web page.

Registered
No android auto, every other bike manufacturer has it, I guess I should expect this, indian hasn't done anything with the stalling and erratic throttle issues that they've known about for 2 years, I guess the only fix is to get a iphone and spend 500 bucks on a tune for a 30,000 + motorcycle, what a crock of shit this is

Registered
No android auto, every other bike manufacturer has it, I guess I should expect this, indian hasn't done anything with the stalling and erratic throttle issues that they've known about for 2 years, I guess the only fix is to get a iphone and spend 500 bucks on a tune for a 30,000 + motorcycle, what a crock of shit this is
To be fair they haven't as far as I know ever promised android auto, they didn't promise apple either but they updated their SW for support of it. I'm sure at some point they will but a lack of transparency and visibility into their product roadmap is just poor customer service.

As for the erratic throttle. I agree again its not acceptable and clearly the dealer network isn't helping us as consumers with getting that issue and other issues resolved. Dealers for the most part are looking out for themselves. This IM group as well as others on FB etc. as owners probably have the largest voice that we could collectively try to address as a single voice to Indian corporate. There are also press and publication avenues to go down. Many other ownership groups for other manufacturers or autos have had great success in collectively forcing problems down the manufacturers throats to address. Its surprising how companies react when issues become public and mainstream. Again the dealers aren't going to do jack for us on this issue other than try to fix it unsuccessfully and charge back to Polaris.

two additional avenues to go down.....

NHTSA reporting, if we all did it they would probably take up an investigation

A class action (and Imp not a fan of these) is another route, if Lloydz and DT are advertising and making money to address and fix Indian issues why should we pay, why shouldn't we force Indian to refund us for fixing our own bikes?
Rather than a CA maybe start with Consumer complaints

I love my bike, but these aren't 5-10K machines they are $25-30K (the cost of a car), we should be getting support from the manufacturer which includes communication on issues and acknowledgement of problems they are working to address.

Registered
Time to trade for a road glide
I agree.. I would be the first to go back to Harley if I see myself having tons of issues with the Challenger. Right now I've been a little fortunate as I have not experienced many of the things that many of others have.. On the other hand, I don't expect perfection. No one should. I have purchased a few BMWs in the past.. and my last purchase was a $100K+ X5M which I waited 4 months to get.
That thing had so many electronic related glitches that made me hate driving it. It left me stranded on the side of the highway twice resulting in another tow to the dealership. The dealer, after attempting to fix it a few times with no success, decided to purchase the vehicle back from me.. so no perfection expected on anything I purchase.

I agree, the throttle issue is something that I shouldn't have to pay an outside vendor like DJ/Lloydz to fix. If I see my bike behaving in a way that isn't normal, and I can't get them to fix it, It's gone.
I'm closely monitoring how Indian responds to these issues that everyone is reporting. I hope they all get resolved. But if they don't, I might just trade my DH for another Harley before my warranty expires. It's really not something we should have to deal with. As AMPUP said, these are $30k purchases.. a class action lawsuit just might be what the doctor ordered.

Registered
If spending $500 to transform your bike is too much of an ask but spending a few times more than that to do a typical stage 1 kit on a HD for far less of a performance impact is acceptable, by all means do so. I have owned 7 H-Ds, one softail and six various FLH models. I had considered a brand new Road Glide earlier this year and after riding a stock 114, I was close but then I rode the Challenger and I know I'm better off with the Challenger. Yes, I need to top off the battery if I'm not going to ride for a week and yes, the ECU needed an aftermarket tweak but the once and done flash and easy ongoing charging requirements are not worth second guessing the decision. To each their own. Decide what compromises you are happy with then make it happen.

Registered
I just installed the update and noticed a digital speed display on the map and Speed Limit is a new overlay that you have to enable like Traffic and Weather. The Traffic and Speed Limit stay on their last position when you turn off the bike, but Weather still turns off so you have to enable it again the next time you turn on the bike. Sure wish they'd change that. I use the weather overlay a lot (Western Washington) and I have to remember to turn it back on every time I stop for gas. Searching for gas stations and addresses is much faster. The display renders more smoothly and it boots faster. I'm anxious to get out and ride with it this weekend once the rain stops.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts