Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Rider
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry for the cross-post to generic Parts/Accessories, but not all Scout riders surf there.

I recently bought a new shift peg (not heel-tow, just the peg) for my Indian Scout from Billet Proof Designs. It came with three rubber bands around the peg that are apparently designed to provide better grip… cool!

Last night, I took the bike out for a group ride and noticed one of the rubber bands had fallen off while riding. By the time I got home, a second one was missing. So two out of three gone on the first ride. Pretty good grip, I’d say…

So I call the seller today and speak to their guy who tries to sell me a replacement rubber band kit (odd that they would just happen to have such kits, eh?). I tell him I would expect BPD to cover the replacement and shipping costs to make good on a brand new and obviously defective product.

The first guy puts me on hold and the owner comes on the line with essentially the same story. He tries to tell me that things fall off on bikes all the time! Unbelievable!

He did offer to send replacement bands for free, but I would have to pay shipping. I said that was unacceptable, as I had already paid for shipping in the first place. He asked me if I was refusing to accept his offer and I corrected him by saying that no, you are refusing to make good on a defective product by insisting I pay for a second shipping charge.

He (the owner) then had the audacity to say they don’t even make the product… they just sell it, and that I could call the manufacturer (Drag Specialties) for resolution. (Yeah, right… good luck with that.)

I am still seething! It has been a long time since I have had such a horrible customer service experience. He (the owner) even tried to push back on me saying there was something wrong with how I’m using the product… a shift peg, mind you!

If this is the kind of customer support you want and expect, by all means do business with Billet Proof... never again for me. How do you expect to run a business like this?

I never got to even have the conversation about how to avoid this failure, what with glue, etc., because I was so incensed by their refusal to make good on it.

·
Rider
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just filed a BBB complaint on this. Usually, that gets people in action, but we'll see. I also posted this as a review on their website, but I doubt it will go public.

Too bad, I wanted to like it.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,073 Posts
Howdy @MattyBoy ,
I'm familiar with the Drag Specialties pegs you are referring to, they've been around for decades. The rubber bands are just O-rings such as you can get at any hardware or auto parts store. They are never going to be all that durable but you can keep them from falling off so easily by putting a little Goop or similar glue in the groove when fitting the O-ring.
--- Randall

·
Rider
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Howdy @MattyBoy ,
I'm familiar with the Drag Specialties pegs you are referring to, they've been around for decades. The rubber bands are just O-rings such as you can get at any hardware or auto parts store. They are never going to be all that durable but you can keep them from falling off so easily by putting a little Goop or similar glue in the groove when fitting the O-ring.
--- Randall
Thanks for the perspective, Randall. I get what you're saying except that the rings came pre-fitted and I just installed the peg and ran with it, never expecting them to just fall off. Like I said, I never got to have the conversation about glue or whatever because Damian (the owner) was so resistant to making good. Maybe I'll try looking at the hardware store... but I resent that I should have to do that since I just paid for the dang thing! I think these guys bought out Aeromach, who were awesome.
---Still Pissed!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I feel your pain Matty- this would bug the heck out of me! Don't forget to leave them a Google review also, more people read those than anything else. Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
@MattyBoy I won’t post my whole story with Billet Proof but it was similar to you. They really screwed me and then didn’t want to take any responsibility. Instead of filing with BBB why don’t you do what really gets them in a pickle? Two words. Charge back. If enough unhappy customers who don’t get what they paid for do that, they could lose their credit card processor or have their fees raised. And fortunately for you, the credit card companies always side with the customer on a charge back.

·
Rider
601 Posts
In order for a charge back to not get disputed and potentially overturned he'd need to offer to return the defective item. Once they refuse to return\refund the item then he's in the clear, otherwise the seller can allege fraud\theft.

If Randall is correct this seems to be bit much for $1.50 in O-rings.

·
Rider
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@MattyBoy I won’t post my whole story with Billet Proof but it was similar to you. They really screwed me and then didn’t want to take any responsibility. Instead of filing with BBB why don’t you do what really gets them in a pickle? Two words. Charge back. If enough unhappy customers who don’t get what they paid for do that, they could lose their credit card processor or have their fees raised. And fortunately for you, the credit card companies always side with the customer on a charge back.
Thanks, @Praxguy, good tip. Since I already filed a complaint with the BBB and they have already contacted the seller, I will keep the charge back option in reserve. Based on their refusal to acknowledge any fault or responsiblity on the phone yesterday, I expect they will contest the BBB complaint. Then I will speak to the bank. Thanks for the advise.

BTW, its not to price of the O-Rings, its the principal of the thing... amplified by their hostile attitude.

·
Registered
14 Posts
MattyBoy, I’m telling you this from A LOT of experience having run multiple restaurants, e-businesses etc…the credit card companies side with the customer over the merchant 100% of the time. Essentially the way it works is, the processor has an expected amount of chargebacks based on the type of business. When the business goes beyond that standard rate, the processor drops them. And during the time they still have the processor, the merchant must cover all the chargebacks. It can cause you to go bankrupt if you’re an unscrupulous merchant.

·
Registered
492 Posts
MattyBoy, I’m telling you this from A LOT of experience having run multiple restaurants, e-businesses etc…the credit card companies side with the customer over the merchant 100% of the time. Essentially the way it works is, the processor has an expected amount of chargebacks based on the type of business. When the business goes beyond that standard rate, the processor drops them. And during the time they still have the processor, the merchant must cover all the chargebacks. It can cause you to go bankrupt if you’re an unscrupulous merchant.
Guess you’ve had better experiences because I’ve disputed charges twice in my entire lifetime and both times the credit card companies took the word of the merchant without even providing me the opportunity to rebut their false statements. In both cases faulty service was done on my vehicle, work that was supposedly under warranty, but the shops denied their work was faulty despite me having inspections and documentation from other reputable shops stating their work was done improperly.

2 different issues, two different shops, two different credit cards, same end result. In each case I was screwed out of around $1500 and had to pay it again at a different place to fix the problem. I still get fired up just thinking about it. Credit card protection is garbage imho unless it is for clear cut fraud.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Guess you’ve had better experiences because I’ve disputed charges twice in my entire lifetime and both times the credit card companies took the word of the merchant without even providing me the opportunity to rebut their false statements. In both cases faulty service was done on my vehicle, work that was supposedly under warranty, but the shops denied their work was faulty despite me having inspections and documentation from other reputable shops stating their work was done improperly.

2 different issues, two different shops, two different credit cards, same end result. In each case I was screwed out of around $1500 and had to pay it again at a different place to fix the problem. I still get fired up just thinking about it. Credit card protection is garbage imho unless it is for clear cut fraud.
Ah, the mechanics is a whole different game. I’m just talking about simple product purchases. The chargebacks work no questions asked under $400. Once you’re in for thousands, they are going to have the mechanic send in the documents you signed.

·
Registered
2021 Scout Bobber
82 Posts
This is truly intended constructively and I am speaking from my own personal experience. There is a fine line between acting out of principal and just being petty. Not sure how one would categorize this one, but regardless, time is such a precious and limited resource that is better spent on much more important things than $2 rubber O-rings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is truly intended constructively and I am speaking from my own personal experience. There is a fine line between acting out of principal and just being petty. Not sure how one would categorize this one, but regardless, time is such a precious and limited resource that is better spent on much more important things than $2 rubber O-rings.
I disagree for the following reason. If this was the experience given to the customer over $2.00 then imagine how it will be on an expensive item

·
Rider
601 Posts
Or the guy might be flabbergasted that someone is bent out of shape over $2.00 O-rings and think it's just ridiculous to even bother. Just saying.

I have better things to do with my time than stress out over an easily replaceable and cheap part.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts