Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Silver member
4,812 Posts
Prolly to avoid icing of the carbs yes.

Remember when cars had a thermostat operated valve in the air intake to draw warm air from the exhaust manifold area in winter temps?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I disliked the chore of cleaning the nooks n crannys of Cooling Fins. I'd rather be out riding. Now I do not mind polishing my smooth liquid-cooled Scout engine at all.

Reactions: Scootah and IndySF

·
Rider
501 Posts
Prolly to avoid icing of the carbs yes.

Remember when cars had a thermostat operated valve in the air intake to draw warm air from the exhaust manifold area in winter temps?
But they heat up even when its a hundred degrees out. You can hear them heating up right after you turn on the ignition switch.

·
Bronze member
1,129 Posts
Kevin Cameron can make even the most difficult mechanical debate into a easily read truth. Enjoyed every article written by Kevin.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I would never think of carbs icing in Houston lit alone in the summertime at sea-level. Our night time temps don't go as low as 70 in the summer.
Mostly not a problem with down draft carbs as they heat from the engine, but updraft and sidedraft are more prone. It’s usually in a certain RPM range for the carb, and on a bike usually just causes reduced performance.

And, mostly not above 70 degrees, but it certainly can happen. Carb icing is usually not a problem in freezing weather as there isn’t enough humidity to be a problem.

·
Rider
543 Posts
Carbs have the Venturi effect so iciing in warm weather is actually more often the problem due to higher Humidity as mentioned! The venturi effect is that a gas is cooled as it moves from higher pressure to lower pressure!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts