Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a 2017 scout black thunder, riding it home I found I had to lean way to one side to ride no hands, was checking bike balance, anybody have this issue? How to resolve?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rear tire not adjusted equally. Two bolts on back of swingarm. Loosen axel nut first.
When I first got mine I thought the same, turns out was just the way I sat on the stock seat, which I hated.
Upgraded my seat and never looked back.

·
Bronze member
2,733 Posts
Hey, me too !

Oh...... some kind of alignment problem...

Nevermind..

·
Rider
861 Posts
Rear tire not adjusted equally. Two bolts on back of swingarm. Loosen axel nut first.
When I first got mine I thought the same, turns out was just the way I sat on the stock seat, which I hated.
Won’t that change the drive belt alignment?
Same issue on my chief. Wants to go left a little and I was thinking it’s cuz I “dress left” lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same issue on my chief. Wants to go left a little and I was thinking it’s cuz I “dress left” lol
Yup it would, which is what youd be fixing if it were pulling because it was out of alignment. But then again could be an unbalanced tire too? Theres only so many things that would cause a motercycle to pull either direction.

·
Senior member / rider
1,306 Posts
Every Scout I’ve ridden, or owned, including my wife’s, did this. In fact, so did every Victory I ever owned. Must be a Polaris “feature”.

·
Registered
515 Posts
tire balancing not the cause. To check for rear wheel alignment, measure from the axle centers to the swingarm bolt centers.Adjust as necessary.

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
Could be a crown in the road or low points in the road from weight of cars and trucks. My Vintage will pull a little left or right depending on the road surface.

To this day my x-wife still says I'm unbalanced. She tried to adjust me, butt was not successful. God bless'r for trying though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are correct, adjustment had about quarter inch difference, now balanced better, have to lean left to go straight, but getting front end wobble when I let go the bars now too, being picky but I hate these little issues because they can become big ones real easy
It actually realigns the belt, I was getting an odd noise when leaning left, that has gone now that I adjusted the wheel straight and also fixed wobble with tire pressure

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wobbling in front. What speeds are you going? When I'm going less than 30 the front will wobble with no hands if I make sudden movements, above 30 its entirely gone. Otherwise maybe something near the tripple clamps, are loose, or the fork bearings... front tire wobble would be harder to self diagnose

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wobbling in front. What speeds are you going? When I'm going less than 30 the front will wobble with no hands if I make sudden movements, above 30 its entirely gone. Otherwise maybe something near the tripple clamps, are loose, or the fork bearings... front tire wobble would be harder to self diagnose
I checked tire pressure both were below 25psi so I brought them to 40 and wobble is gone but it was at 50-60 mph

·
Rider
680 Posts
Insure corect tire pressure to spec. Replace stock tires. Replace stock springs and shocks. Load handlebars with lead shot. Check caliper is tight and axle bolt tight.

·
Rider
680 Posts
That was possibly bad advice... Newer Scouts (than my 2017) came with better tires and supposedly cartridge forks (which I don't know how good they are). For me, all these things added up to finally give me the ride and handling I was after...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts