Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2019 RM Elite and the stock seat is horrible. Have 10k miles on the bike and I have utilized the Air Hawk pad for both of us; the pad helps some but both of us are wanting a better seat. I have been looking at these two seats; the Mustang being $810 and the Ultimate (Tall Boy) at $1230. Is the Ultimate really worth that $400 increase over Mustang?
Thanks in advance.

·
Bronze member
2,239 Posts
I have used both seats, the Ultimate is very nice. I feel that it is more supportive which tends to be better for long distance all day riding. The downside for me is it raises my seating position too high, more than I prefer & the remote control heating system is a little odd. The Mustang seat that I have feels good still, places me in a better riding position, cheaper and looks better. The downside is no heat. Haven't gone on a long 400+ mile day ride yet to comment on long distance comfort. Unfortunately it still comes down to what feels best to you & the only way I know how to figure that out is to try one. I'm pretty sure Ultimate still offers a trial period, might want to give them a call. Cheers.

Reactions: Caprock

·
169 Posts
I have had Mustang seats in the past and preferred them over stock by a wide margin but now I have the Ultimate reduced reach and love it. I have never had a heated seat on a bike.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have had both, and I preferred the Mustang. That said, I liked the Ultimate too, Des is good to work with and they are great seats, I just preferred the 'stang. YMMV as everyones butt is different.

·
Rider
749 Posts
I have used both seats, the Ultimate is very nice. I feel that it is more supportive which tends to be better for long distance all day riding. The downside for me is it raises my seating position too high, more than I prefer & the remote control heating system is a little odd. The Mustang seat that I have feels good still, places me in a better riding position, cheaper and looks better. The downside is no heat. Haven't gone on a long 400+ mile day ride yet to comment on long distance comfort. Unfortunately it still comes down to what feels best to you & the only way I know how to figure that out is to try one. I'm pretty sure Ultimate still offers a trial period, might want to give them a call. Cheers.
I 100% agree about the elevated seating position and strange need for the heated seat requiring a remote for the Ultimate. If they could just build a seat with a similar height as the stock seat and have a normal switch for the heaters, I would again probably want an Ultimate. I have used Mustang seats on other bikes and find them to be comparable to the Ultimate in comfort. Once again as Axxe said, I wish Mustang offered heat in their 2 piece seats. I talked to them last month about this and they did indicate that special orders with a heated option has been talked about and possibly implemented this fall. After my last 1000 + mile ride last week, I decided I wanted one now and found one for a fair price and ordered it yesterday.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I’ve had the Ultimate on my Roadmaster for over a year and really like it except for one thing, the drivers back rest mount has become extremely loose. It moves a lot side to side and a little front to back. The only other down side is that my wife doesn’t like the passenger seat.
I’ve ordered a Russel Day Long and once I get it I’ll see about sending my Ultimate back since they have a lifetime warranty on their pans so hopefully I can get it fixed and keep it for a solo set up or sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I'm been running Ultimate seats on both my Springfield and Chieftain for the last couple years. With lower back problems the Ulitimate seems to work the best for me. I owned a Mustang seat for a couple months and ended up selling it. Very nice seat just didn't have the lower back support I needed.
SDC10029.JPG
2801.jpeg

·
Bronze member
1,966 Posts
I have had both, and I preferred the Mustang. That said, I liked the Ultimate too, Des is good to work with and they are great seats, I just preferred the 'stang. YMMV as everyones butt is different.
^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I’ve run both and Mustang for me and my ass is way more comfortable. I returned my ultimate just to damn hard like sitting on a picnic bench. My ass was on fire within a 100 miles NFG for me. But many aware by it. I could easily run 800 to 1000 mile days on the Mustang. But I can also do it on my 18 limited oem seat with no problem. It’s an ass difference

1 - 10 of 10 Posts