Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends of ours are moving to London in January so we're thinking of heading over next May for a visit. No way my wife and I are coming to the UK and not renting a couple bikes to tour around a little. The first question is are there any Indian shops that are also rental (for hire) sites? I found a couple of Indian dealerships in the London area but nothing on their site mentions rental options. I found plenty of other brands for hire but I would certainly like to keep any touring we do in The Tribe if at all possible.

Second question is where shall we go. We're just now sorting out options and dates so we have lots of possibilities. We'll likely only have 4 - 5 days to tour around so doubt we can see even close to everything. Do we stick to the southern parts or head straight up to Scotland but maybe cut our touring days down to 3 - 4 since we would loose a day traveling north and then back south? What are some of the most scenic and sought after touring routes?

Thinking about weather, I would rather have less rainy days if possible so we might even move our dates back to June or July. But that will move us into prime time vacation travelers so we might be willing to put up with some less than desirable weather to avoid all the caravaners. What are the locals opinion for best times to go?

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.

Photo for attention.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_328f.jpg

·
Registered
358 Posts
Wow so many questions
Firstly You will have no chance of renting an indian, they are as rare as hens teeth in the first place ..... and renting a motorcycle in England will be pretty pricey whatever you chose
Right if your in London I would forget going to Scotland , it’s a lot further than you think. And on our roads it’s gonna take you a good 8 to 9. Hours to get to Glasgow. And then another couple of hours to get into the highlands , as beautiful as it is I think you don’t have the time

If you are based in London or the south of England I would head down south to Cornwall and Devon It’s achievable in your timescale and you can stop of at stone henge Stonehenge | English Heritage before exploring the breathtaking rugged coast of Cornwall. Visit Cornwall | Holidays in Cornwall UK | Official Tourist Board. St ives is particularly stunning But be warned it does get very busy especially in summer
Other options are to head up to Yorkshire. Home | Have a brilliant Yorkshire - Yorkshire.com | Welcome to Yorkshire The Yorkshire dales are very pretty and York is a lovely historic town , Or head over to the rolling valleys of Wales. UK Breaks & Family Holiday Destinations | Visit Wales Great motorcycling countryside

All I’d say is ... do your research and chose what appeals to you , be prepared for heavy traffic in the big tourist spots in July / August time and don’t try to see to much at once , We have a lot to offer ... history, architecture, scenery nightlife When time is tight make the most of it
As for timing your spot on about trying to miss the peak time .... early June is slightly better as schools have not started their holidays ... and you do know there is no guarantee on it not raining in the summer .... that is a whole subject / obsession in its self over here !! Early Septembers not a bad time in my opinion .... weather usually is still ok and as the schools have all gone back the holiday makers are a lot thinner on the ground
Oh and if you are in London ...... let me know and I’ll meet up and buy you a pint !!! ( there is 2 places every biker in london should go. The ace cafe Ace Cafe London | Welcome to Ace Cafe London Homepage - Rev it up! And. Bike shed motorcycle club The Bike Shed - 384 Old Street, London EC1V 9LT +44 (0)207 729 8114 [email protected] )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just had another thought you could always go to hinkley... Home of triumph and check out their visitor centre.... Pay homage to the very heart of British motorcycling. Their factory tour is really good
For the Ride

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow so many questions
Firstly You will have no chance of renting an indian, they are as rare as hens teeth in the first place ..... and renting a motorcycle in England will be pretty pricey whatever you chose
Right if your in London I would forget going to Scotland , it’s a lot further than you think. And on our roads it’s gonna take you a good 8 to 9. Hours to get to Glasgow. And then another couple of hours to get into the highlands , as beautiful as it is I think you don’t have the time

If you are based in London or the south of England I would head down south to Cornwall and Devon It’s achievable in your timescale and you can stop of at stone henge Stonehenge | English Heritage before exploring the breathtaking rugged coast of Cornwall. Visit Cornwall | Holidays in Cornwall UK | Official Tourist Board. St ives is particularly stunning But be warned it does get very busy especially in summer
Other options are to head up to Yorkshire. Home | Have a brilliant Yorkshire - Yorkshire.com | Welcome to Yorkshire The Yorkshire dales are very pretty and York is a lovely historic town , Or head over to the rolling valleys of Wales. UK Breaks & Family Holiday Destinations | Visit Wales Great motorcycling countryside

All I’d say is ... do your research and chose what appeals to you , be prepared for heavy traffic in the big tourist spots in July / August time and don’t try to see to much at once , We have a lot to offer ... history, architecture, scenery nightlife When time is tight make the most of it
As for timing your spot on about trying to miss the peak time .... early June is slightly better as schools have not started their holidays ... and you do know there is no guarantee on it not raining in the summer .... that is a whole subject / obsession in its self over here !! Early Septembers not a bad time in my opinion .... weather usually is still ok and as the schools have all gone back the holiday makers are a lot thinner on the ground
Oh and if you are in London ...... let me know and I’ll meet up and buy you a pint !!! ( there is 2 places every biker in london should go. The ace cafe Ace Cafe London | Welcome to Ace Cafe London Homepage - Rev it up! And. Bike shed motorcycle club The Bike Shed - 384 Old Street, London EC1V 9LT +44 (0)207 729 8114 [email protected] )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback. I guess we can scratch the Highlands and Indian rentals off of our option list. We're going to try to avoid prime time tourist months of July/August but there are a few things we really want to do that might push us into those months. As far as the pint goes its always nice to make new friends around the world so I'll let you know was we get closer to our trip.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as we start buttoning down our plans.

·
Registered
358 Posts
No problem. Don't hesitate to ask questions, in all my travels around the world I have found you cannot beat local knowledge

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
365 Posts
I would not be so quick to discount the Highlands if it’s somewhere you wanted to see, I just paid £38 return today for a flight from Gatwick to Inverness where the NC500 starts, plenty of bike hire options too, if the timings right I may even guide you myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts