Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

U-Haul Trailer, It Just Fits!

18K views 49 replies 23 participants last post by  RedChieftain 
#1 ·
We trailered the bike to the Cape, about 6 congested hours on I95 through New Jersey, Conneticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts. Awesome scenic riding on the Cape, happy wife too! I used my Wheel Dock and some straps, EZ Peezy.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Mode of transport Car

Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Classic

Vehicle Inflatable boat Boat Automotive exterior Auto part

See less See more
#10 ·
I've trailered my Vintage 4 times with a U-Haul. Worked perfectly. I particularly like the low center of gravity and low load-ramp.

The first time I didn't have a Wheel-Dock and only used the trailer's built in "chock" - if you can call it that. It worked but required a lot of tie downs for me to feel comfortable with it.

The other times I used my WheelDock, set up, as suggested by manufacturer, with a 2x4 sheet of plywood for a base. Excellent! The last time, I added a second 2x4 sheet of clipped on plywood for an overall 8' platform. This I did because of the ribbed floor of the trailer. I simply remove the setup from trailer to garage. No fuss. Pic below of the WheelDock with 2x4 base.

Technology Electronics Electronic device Computer hardware

#11 ·
#14 ·
Might want to try and ride it sometime. I believe it's suppose tp carry you, not you it.
I was wondering how long it would take before someone added a really useful and helpful comment to my post. I intended to show others how the U-haul motorcycle trailer could be used to tow the huge Roadmaster. Thanks TOP, you should be proud of yourself for adding to the forum with such a useful comment. I did ride to the Cape and back as reported in another post, ALONE.
When traveling long distances, on boring flat interstates with my wife, sometimes we prefer to trailer. Sorry if this is an anathema to you. If you would like to discuss this further, I will let my wife talk with you directly!

#15 ·
I've trailered my Vintage 4 times with a U-Haul. Worked perfectly. I particularly like the low center of gravity and low load-ramp.

The first time I didn't have a Wheel-Dock and only used the trailer's built in "chock" - if you can call it that. It worked but required a lot of tie downs for me to feel comfortable with it.

The other times I used my WheelDock, set up, as suggested by manufacturer, with a 2x4 sheet of plywood for a base. Excellent! The last time, I added a second 2x4 sheet of clipped on plywood for an overall 8' platform. This I did because of the ribbed floor of the trailer. I simply remove the setup from trailer to garage. No fuss. Pic below of the WheelDock with 2x4 base.

View attachment 355684
Whoa!! Even painted it black, nice. Guess it helps with weather and such, nice work.

#17 ·
Very helpful post with great pics. Thanks!

Reactions: RedChieftain
#25 ·
Uhaul motorcycle trailers are fantastic I have used them many times and covered thousands of miles with them. I had a utility trailer but the Uhaul trailer had a much lower floor, excellent ramp, better strap points, ran smoother on the highway, and didn’t take up useful space on my property the rest of the year. BTW the Uhaul dealer I use has awesome service. Only short fall is no spare tire is included but I hope they have good roadside.

#28 ·
The only downside I can think of is that the UHaul trailer is really heavy!
If we were trailering a lot, I would buy a lightweight aluminum trailer.
We just finished a 5 day trip (w/o trailer!) to the New York Finger Lakes, Niagara Falls, and back.
Visited Corning Museum of Glass, Warbird Museum, Hammondsport Wine Country, etc.
Great back roads, no rain, perfect weather! AND my wife packed lightly enough to get all it in the top and side cases!!!

#32 ·
@toddhollander
Looks like you did a great job strapping her down. I’ve only trailed my Ducati, not my Indian. They say (them who are they) that is better for the bikes suspension not to be compressed. What you did looks perfect. The sandbag is a good idea too. I haven’t used that trailer. Do you think someone could push the front wheel in the U-Haul cutout (fender clearance?) strap her down as you did and be good?

Forehead Nose Hair Eyebrow Organ

#34 ·
From experience you shouldn’t use the crash bars - they aren’t that strong (fractured mine tying it down like you did). You should use the rear passenger foot rest mounts and I tie the front axle down as pictured below. Just my 2 cents
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.