Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We trailered the bike to the Cape, about 6 congested hours on I95 through New Jersey, Conneticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts. Awesome scenic riding on the Cape, happy wife too! I used my Wheel Dock and some straps, EZ Peezy.

IMG_4427.JPG

IMG_1164.JPG

IMG_1162.JPG

IMG_1163.JPG

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Looks thoroughly secure.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
We trailered the bike to the Cape, about 6 congested hours on I95 through New Jersey, Conneticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts. Awesome scenic riding on the Cape, happy wife too! I used my Wheel Dock and some straps, EZ Peezy.
toight

·
Registered
311 Posts
Todd,
I have a U-haul trailer reserved for Thursday. I was/am concerned about that front wheel chock on the u-haul trailer itself, will the front tire and fender fit without it hitting? I noticed you have your own wheel chock, how did you mount that to the trailer? Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
Todd,
I have a U-haul trailer reserved for Thursday. I was/am concerned about that front wheel chock on the u-haul trailer itself, will the front tire and fender fit without it hitting? I noticed you have your own wheel chock, how did you mount that to the trailer? Thanks
It fits fine, no issue with fender clearance.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Todd,
Bump and ditto. I was wondering the same about the chock. Is it just held in place by the straps pulling the bike against it, or is it mounted to the floor somehow?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The wheel dock is held in place by the forward pull of the front straps, it can't go anywhere. There isn't much clearance between the bags and side of the trailer. I am not sure I could put the motorcycle on the side stand! The wheel dock worked perfectly.

·
Super Moderator
5,885 Posts
I've trailered my Vintage 4 times with a U-Haul. Worked perfectly. I particularly like the low center of gravity and low load-ramp.

The first time I didn't have a Wheel-Dock and only used the trailer's built in "chock" - if you can call it that. It worked but required a lot of tie downs for me to feel comfortable with it.

The other times I used my WheelDock, set up, as suggested by manufacturer, with a 2x4 sheet of plywood for a base. Excellent! The last time, I added a second 2x4 sheet of clipped on plywood for an overall 8' platform. This I did because of the ribbed floor of the trailer. I simply remove the setup from trailer to garage. No fuss. Pic below of the WheelDock with 2x4 base.

WheelDock-3.jpg

·
Registered
469 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Did you go to trailer week..? I've been there a few times myself.......and able to bring the Mrs's stuff....happy wife happy life......

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Might want to try and ride it sometime. I believe it's suppose tp carry you, not you it.
I was wondering how long it would take before someone added a really useful and helpful comment to my post. I intended to show others how the U-haul motorcycle trailer could be used to tow the huge Roadmaster. Thanks TOP, you should be proud of yourself for adding to the forum with such a useful comment. I did ride to the Cape and back as reported in another post, ALONE.
When traveling long distances, on boring flat interstates with my wife, sometimes we prefer to trailer. Sorry if this is an anathema to you. If you would like to discuss this further, I will let my wife talk with you directly!

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've trailered my Vintage 4 times with a U-Haul. Worked perfectly. I particularly like the low center of gravity and low load-ramp.

The first time I didn't have a Wheel-Dock and only used the trailer's built in "chock" - if you can call it that. It worked but required a lot of tie downs for me to feel comfortable with it.

The other times I used my WheelDock, set up, as suggested by manufacturer, with a 2x4 sheet of plywood for a base. Excellent! The last time, I added a second 2x4 sheet of clipped on plywood for an overall 8' platform. This I did because of the ribbed floor of the trailer. I simply remove the setup from trailer to garage. No fuss. Pic below of the WheelDock with 2x4 base.

View attachment 355684
Whoa!! Even painted it black, nice. Guess it helps with weather and such, nice work.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Very helpful post with great pics. Thanks!

·
Registered
469 Posts
I was wondering how long it would take before someone added a really useful and helpful comment to my post. I intended to show others how the U-haul motorcycle trailer could be used to tow the huge Roadmaster. Thanks TOP, you should be proud of yourself for adding to the forum with such a useful comment. I did ride to the Cape and back as reported in another post, ALONE.
When traveling long distances, on boring flat interstates with my wife, sometimes we prefer to trailer. Sorry if this is an anathema to you. If you would like to discuss this further, I will let my wife talk with you directly!
To each their own. However, glad to hear about the u-haul trailer being able to accommodate a RM. In the future might want to try riding back roads. By-the-by, I'm a biker, not a motorcyclist. Ride safe and be proud of yourself...

·
Bronze member
1,631 Posts
Only problem I have with the Uhaul trailer is the lack of front protection for the bike...stone chips, tar toss, etc...

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,885 Posts
Only problem I have with the Uhaul trailer is the lack of front protection for the bike...stone chips, tar toss, etc...

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
Maybe. But it depends on what you are using to haul the trailer.
My F-150 completely protects the bike - with either a U-Haul or my Triple D Lift.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts