Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been running Dunlop Elite 3 on the rear and finding that it is breaking loose especially once there is dew or water on the road. My Hammer has same Elite 3 with no issues and it is a much lighter bike and wider tyre. I assumed with a narrower tyre and more weight I would have more traction. Fortunately I get a grin when the rear spins up but dont enjoy it as much when I start drifting the corner unintentionally on the RM ha ha . Drifting the Victory is awesome fun but not the Starship Enterprise (RM). What are peoples preferences for rear tyre.

·
Administrator
16,030 Posts
I have the Dunlop E4’s — latest iterations is better than the E3’s. I’m on my second set. Love ‘em.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,682 Posts
I have been running Dunlop Elite 3 on the rear and finding that it is breaking loose especially once there is dew or water on the road. My Hammer has same Elite 3 with no issues and it is a much lighter bike and wider tyre. I assumed with a narrower tyre and more weight I would have more traction. Fortunately I get a grin when the rear spins up but dont enjoy it as much when I start drifting the corner unintentionally on the RM ha ha . Drifting the Victory is awesome fun but not the Starship Enterprise (RM). What are peoples preferences for rear tyre.
Yeah, I hated the E3s. Currently on the Michelin Commander 2s and very happy. Also like Hink heard some good things about the E4s. D

Reactions: Hairy

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I purchased my RM used and it already had Michelin Commander 2's on it so I have no experience with the E3s. I was amazed at the longevity of the Commander 2s. I don't know how many miles they had on them when I purchased the bike, but I put 20,000 miles on them and they still had life left when I put Commander 3 Touring tires on. The rear tire was being taken off for a brake rotor already so I figured I'd save some money by swapping rubber while it was off.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your responses. We do not have a big selection here as my dealer is very small. I will ask which tyres he can get in. I was told that the Dunlop E3 was a hard centre and soft sided tyre. This maybe the case on the wide tyre, however this narrower tyre (RM) is breaking loose and I do not lean it as far as the Hammer. There is no chicken strip on the Hammer tyre.
Thanks again

·
Rider
669 Posts
I'm running a E4 on the back and an E3 on the front (2016 RM). Other than I find the E4 kinda noisy, It's been a good tire. I just changed the original front tire at 25,000 miles. I've heard good things about the Michelins too.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Went through two sets of Comander IIs, both started cupping at 14-15k. Now running E4s and have 12k with no sign of cupping. E4s are now my choice. 2015 RM/w
53K miles at this point.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,830 Posts
If Dunlop had not come out with E4's, I would have gone with Commander 2's. No dang way would I put another set of E3's on my bike. But the E4's are great tires/tyres. Equal to if not better than Commanders. Although my only experience with Commanders was on my Harley Electra Glide. I just assume they would be similar on my Roadmaster. But it's E4's for me from here on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anybody tried Metzeler tires? I'm burning through the stock tires, and ran Metzeler ME88's on my last Road Glide and liked the a lot, even though they needed replacement more frequently. I'm wondering if the same experience would translate to the RM.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Has anybody tried Metzeler tires? I'm burning through the stock tires, and ran Metzeler ME88's on my last Road Glide and liked the a lot, even though they needed replacement more frequently. I'm wondering if the same experience would translate to the RM.
I ordered my first set of Metzeler 888's last month and so far I like them. Good traction on dry and wet roads, although I can say that my previous Dunlop's are a bit better in the turns. I bought these Metzelers from 4wheelonline, and yes they offer bike accessories also.

·
Bronze member
1,590 Posts
I have E4s on my Cross Country, Avon Cobras on the Vintage and Avon Cobra Chromes on the RM. E4 is a good all around tire, my only beef with it is the center line on the front tire hunts road grooves like crazy. It can be a bit disconcerting at first, but then you realize what's going on. Both the Cobras and Cobra Chromes are also good all-around tires. My experience has been about 14K on the Cobra's with the RM and this is my first Chrome set. I have about 6500 on them and they still look good so I am anticipating getting the same, if not better mileage out of them.

The Chromes have the best cornering performance of any tire I have ever used on any bike if that means anything to you.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a set of Metzler Cruisetecs on order, I have only 7k miles on the RM with Dunlops on it but for my own safety i'm changing them out, they are awful tyres, zero grip in damp or wet conditions, they just let go on roundabouts or powering out of bends, its like riding on concrete hoops in the snow!!

I'll report back on the Cruisetecs when I get them fitted.

I run Commander 2s on the CDH and i'm very happy with them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've got E3's on my RM too and the rear in particular is slippery even in the dry. I've got Bridgestones to replace them, I'll do one end at a time starting with the rear for comparison, will report back when they're on and scrubbed.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've got E3's on my RM too and the rear in particular is slippery even in the dry. I've got Bridgestones to replace them, I'll do one end at a time starting with the rear for comparison, will report back when they're on and scrubbed.
I think they are too hard a compound for the UK climate, they can probably never get warm enough to give any traction, they are bloody dangerous.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Okidoky, reporting back after fitting a rear Bridgestone, apologies for the delay, I've been making some quiet mufflers so did the tyre change at the same time.
Rode a couple of hundred miles today mostly on quickish 2 lane. Handling markedly improved, initial feeling - rolls into bends with ease. Altogether more sure footed and no skidding or tyre yelping under braking. I've got a Bridgestone H50 to go on the front, it has a good wet grip rating but it's still mixing radial rear with bias front. Should get that done this coming week.
Bridgestone do make a radial front to match the rear but it's 150 wide rather than 130. If I don't like the H50 I'm going with the radial front.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Reporting back on the Bridgestone H50 front and Bridgestone G704 rear combo. About 1000 miles so far. Bike is altogether improved. Sure footed, no drifting out on long sweepers, responds properly to counter steering - a bit hot I to a corner, no problem just a tad of counter steer and it leans a little more and goes around without drama. More comfy ride, gone is the harshness.
Did a 150 miles run in pouring rain at 50-60 mph on twisty roads last week - absolutely solid, never an uncertain moment.
The front and rear of the bike feel as though they're working together, with the E3's I always felt as though the bike was disconnected, the front having a different characteristic to the rear.

Now my curiosity has got the better of me and I've just fitted a Bridgestone Exedra radial to the front so now both tyres are radial. It'll be interesting to see whether there's a discernable difference compared to the bias tyre.
Watch this space....

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good to read you have your confidence back, nothing worst than not feeling as 1 with the bike. Much better when you can ride the bike instead of it taking you for a ride. Takes the fun out of riding when you do not trust the beast you are on.
Wet weather response is good, glad too read that also. Especially considering that when it rains where you like the tyres are not very hot.
Glad you are setting up your ride

·
Registered
22 Posts
Okidoky, reporting back after fitting a rear Bridgestone, apologies for the delay, I've been making some quiet mufflers so did the tyre change at the same time.
Rode a couple of hundred miles today mostly on quickish 2 lane. Handling markedly improved, initial feeling - rolls into bends with ease. Altogether more sure footed and no skidding or tyre yelping under braking. I've got a Bridgestone H50 to go on the front, it has a good wet grip rating but it's still mixing radial rear with bias front. Should get that done this coming week.
Bridgestone do make a radial front to match the rear but it's 150 wide rather than 130. If I don't like the H50 I'm going with the radial front.
Good to hear your impression of the Bridgestones. I'll probably try the Avon Cobra Chromes the next time around as I used to run the Avon Cobras on my last bike and I loved the way they handled but the wear wasn't that great. Hopefully the Cobra Chromes will handle the same but give longer life mileage wise.
I noticed in your post that you said you've been making some quiet mufflers...I'd be very interested in knowing if you've made any headway in that area as I wish I could quiet mine down just a little bit. Seems like there are a ton of options to make the bike louder but nothing the other way around.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I noticed in your post that you said you've been making some quiet mufflers...I'd be very interested in knowing if you've made any headway in that area as I wish I could quiet mine down just a little bit. Seems like there are a ton of options to make the bike louder but nothing the other way around.
Yep, got them done. Not a lot of building detail but I can supply that if required. You'd need to be able to weld stainless steel tho.

Have ridden on the radial front Bridgestone, just 40 miles so I'll wait until I covered a good few miles before I say anything.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Back to finish off. I've covered a fair few miles on the Bridgestone radial front. I kinda expected it to feel a better match for the rear radial since both tyres are radial but it doesn't feel especially in tune. However, the bike handling is a bit better than the bias Bridgestone front in that the roll in to a turn is smoother so that is nice. The tyre though is a little harsher at the 36psi. It is a larger section so can carry a bit more load, I dropped it to 32psi and it, as near as I can tell, feels as comfy as the bias tyre with no noticeable change in handling or road holding.
How good a mileage I'll get I don't know but I don't expect the rear to reach 10k, the front is unknown.

To sum up: The Dunlop E3's are gone and never to be back on a bike, dreadful road holding. On a number of occasions I've been running wide on what I expected to be just a spirited corner where adding a little counter steer did nothing and the only way back was easing off the throttle a little to give back some road grip for the corner.

The Bridgestones I'm sticking with front and rear. The bike likes them and responds as it should to counter steering, even when it feels close to the limit there is still adhesion to be had. When the front radial is used up I'll pop the bias one on and use that up also, though I prefer the radial the difference is small enough for it not to matter. All the Bridgestones are solid in the wet which is important to me.

Bear in mind this is Scotland UK where it is often cool or wet or both and the roads generally are not long and straight. If I were riding in high temps at high speed over big miles I might feel differently - though the E3's would likely still alarm me. :eek:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts