Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tyre pressure gauge showed low pressure, when the motorcycle is cold. It disappears after 20kms or so. Is that normal? Measured tyre pressure. Appears ok.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Perfectly normal. Your tires will pick up heat, and thus increase pressure, as you ride. You should add just a little air so that you don't start out too low. Specifications are given for cold tires.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,081 Posts
I guarantee your tire pressure is low. That means you're wasting gas and wearing out you tires.

As others have said, tire pressure increases as temperature raises. That is because the air molecules, like everything else except water, expand as they heat up. Bigger molecules in the same size space equals increased pressure.

That is also why you need to add air to your tires when they're cold. The recommended air pressure is 36 front and 41 rear. The best time to check them is after they've been sitting for at least 3 hours after being ridden.

Temperature's affect on air is also the reason you have add air in the fall and take it out on the spring.

Some people use nitrogen instead of air in their tires. Nitrogen is not affected by changes in temperature as much as air and it doesn't permeate through rubber as easily as air either. However, it is a lot more expensive than air. And if you need to top it off, it's a lot harder to find without going back to the place that filled your tires.

·
Read Only
561 Posts
I guarantee your tire pressure is low. That means you're wasting gas and wearing out you tires.

As others have said, tire pressure increases as temperature raises. That is because the air molecules, like everything else except water, expand as they heat up. Bigger molecules in the same size space equals increased pressure.

That is also why you need to add air to your tires when they're cold. The recommended air pressure is 36 front and 41 rear. The best time to check them is after they've been sitting for at least 3 hours after being ridden.

Temperature's affect on air is also the reason you have add air in the fall and take it out on the spring.

Some people use nitrogen instead of air in their tires. Nitrogen is not affected by changes in temperature as much as air and it doesn't permeate through rubber as easily as air either. However, it is a lot more expensive than air. And if you need to top it off, it's a lot harder to find without going back to the place that filled your tires.
I believe it is 46/41

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,081 Posts
I believe it is 46/41
Thanks for keeping me straight.I have a Roadmaster and had a Chieftain so I keep forgetting the Springfield is the one off. Every other Thunderstroke but the Springfield is either 36 / 40 or 41.

·
Bronze member
4,698 Posts
The recommendation is to inflate to those numbers when cold. They will always increase as they warm up, but starting out under pressure isn't the best thing for them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Indian Springfield

Front:
130/90 R16 B 73H 46 PSI (317 kPa)

130/60 R19 B 61H 36 PSI (248 kPa)

Rear:
180/60 R16 41 PSI (283 kPa)

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
when i had the victory it had the nitro in them. never ever had to add. place in st pete had a program i think it was 20 bucks a yr come in anytime to add nitro.

·
Bronze member
3,050 Posts
Nitro is great if you don't have a slow leak... I must have one... I can't find it so I'm assuming it's the valve stem... but my front will lose 3-4 lbs every two weeks.. so Nitro would be a no go for me.. also if you come from the low country and go into the mountains or higher elevation your cold psi will change... so if you are taking off in the am be sure to check because it will be lower at altitude..

·
Rider
538 Posts
Has anybody ever gotten a sensible answer why the 16" Springfield front tire recommended pressure is 46 psi?
I recall a couple of years ago someone posted they called and spoke to a tech at Dunlop America. He posted the response on here but good luck combing through the archives finding it. If I recall he said that because of the rake Dunlop and Indian both determined that 46psi was the best arrangement for the Springfield. Who knows? I run mine starting out at 46f/40r and over the next couple of weeks it bleeds off slowly like other bikes on here do, and I don’t bother filling it back up all the time and just live with it. Because the Springfield rides so much better than my Road King, which I swap out every ride, I can hardly tell any noticeable difference in the ongoing lower tire pressure issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts