Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

TX Hill Country Indian owners, Chieftain on backroads?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  CarlosR 
#1 ·
Howdy, 64YO very experienced rider here interested in maybe getting a 2019+ Chieftain. I have been a snowbird here since 2015 and have been riding my Wee strom and additionally now a DR650. Love riding all roads of the area. I am partial to including the B-C roads such as Grape Creek, Beer Creek, almo springs, etc. I am curious if other riders have taken their Indians on roads like these and how the bike responds to these "bumpier" roads. I realize I will have to ride a slower pace and I believe the bike has the handling, wondering how the suspension does? Comments welcome please. I will be riding solo and have owned a couple of GWings in distance past. Thanks!

#2 ·
When I want to do some riding and stay in TX, I quite often find myself in hill country NW of SA, as well as around the Big Bend area. The road conditions in those areas aren't the best, but the twisties, especially in the hill country, and the scenerie is spectacular. I currently own a '20 Chieftain Classic, and previously had a '17 Springfield. Both of these bikes ride and handle the roads great!! I have owned standards, adventure, sport tourers and cruiser / baggers. My favorite style of bike, in this stage of my life, are the baggers. The Indians are excellent bikes with GREAT suspensions right out of the factory. In fact, unlike other bikes that I have owned, the suspension has not even crossed my mind as something that needs to be modified on either of my Indians. Buy the Chiefain, you will love it.

#5 ·
Appreciate the responses! I am in Kerrville. Any comments on how well the bike handles cattle grate "humps"? I will see about test riding a Chieftain. There are several dealers in SA. Sitting here while the ice hopefully is melting outside. I was here last Feb for "snowvid". I will be at BBend first weekend in March riding gravel on my DR with the TX Adv Riders Assoc. Was there couple years back riding my street bike.
I am skeptical about suspension based on what little I know of HD's. Seems the Indian has longer, better suspension.

#6 ·
I'm in Austin, have a 2019 Chieftain. I ride a lot in the area between ATX and Fredericksburg (Wimberley, Blanco, New Braunfels, Marble Falls, Boerne). There are, for instance, several twisty roads/highways between Boerne and Fburg, including the one between Luckenbach and Boerne, or if you go from Luckenbach to Blanco. The bike handles the roads just fine (it deserves a better rider than me) and is quite smooth. I plan on getting new Avon tires and ditching the stock Dunlops; we'll see if that makes the ride even better. I love the suspension on my Chieftain mainly because I rarely have to think about it, which tells you how nicely it soaks up bumps. I think a 2019+ Chieftain would be a good choice for you.

But being in Kerrville, boy, you have a plethora of beautiful roads to take, like from Hunt down 39 to 83 to Leakey and Twisted Sister land. You should do it!

#7 ·
the chieftain even with the harder 19" wheel, goes all over it, and works fine in stock suspension properly setup (pressure, rear; std. oil, front). I ride Greece, Romania 3°C, Hungary, Spain 45°C, everything, as backroad as it can, as long as there's some sort of tarmac it rolls right over it and I do it pretty quick.
I made an upgrade with Hyperpro front and rear springs (full height, not lowered) and yes it's better, but really it's just better control, worth the expensive labor and upgrade cost? barely, if at all.

If it's too much for you, then you need to opt for an adventure bike with 19"/21" 80/20 semi-offroad tyres and chassis.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.