Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just asked in the introduction forum which I guess was wrong. But new rider did tons of research and all things indicate this is a great bike for new riders, light weight, low seat, not over powered but powerful and I like the way it looks.

Question 1. Optional Suspension a lot of reviews said the stock suspension is rigid and doesn't handle bumps well, i see they offer Fox® Two Pre-Loaded Performance Shocks, this as an option are these worth it? Will they soften the ride some?

Question 2. Stage one kit, I really like the Pipes that have Indian scrolled on them does the stage one kit add to much power for a new rider? Note I live where I can practice a lot before actually striking out,

Question 3. Comfort seat vs 1920 Spring Style Seat is that Springer seat really all that uncomfortable and does anyone have toe Comfort Seat vs Stock Seat?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Welcome MoJo, I am getting stage 1, 2 into 1 exhaust and air cleaner box installed FrIday, we'll see then. As for the seat, find a local upholster, I had 1" more than stock of better foam added, much better. Also, IMO, the floorboards are money well spent Paul

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
So here ya go. You can snag a real deal on a 60. People buy them and then want something more powerful. It’s a great bike and it’s a great bike for any rider. Not just beginners.

The 1920 scout solo seat is awesome. If you have an op to buy that, then buy that.

You will not gain any noticeable power changing the exhaust or even going full stage 1from Indian.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Yea but, once again my opinion only, that stock exhaust is none too handsome. All of the after market I've investigated seems to be LOUD.
Paul is absolutely right. Scout exhausts are loud. Stock exhaust is ugly as sin too. Way too quiet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Easy turbo :) I feel you're over-thinking all this. Ride the bike and form your own opinions on the seat, suspension, etc. If you keep reading justifications others make for upgrades you'll think nothing on the bike is adequate. The truth is the seat is fine for most. The suspension is fine for most. Everything is fine for most. Tweak the things YOU think need tweaking. Regarding stage one, it's not as big of a performance gain as you're imagining but I recommend all upgrades be done post purchase (especially for those new to motorcycles).

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Just to clarify, I absolutely love my scout. I would have been thrilled with it even if I wasn’t allowed to change a thing. That being said, the scout is such a little billy badass that I think a nasty exhaust fits it quite well. The oversized quiet cans that come stock just weren’t for me.

Reactions: VintageJason

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Question 1. Optional Suspension

Question 2. Stage one kit,

Question 3. Comfort seat vs 1920 Spring Style Seat
Q1. The suspension on my 2016 Scout was terrible for my rough local roads and I swapped for custom built shocks and progressive fork springs. The new models have better suspension which most people say is OK. You won't really know until you ride the bike in your normal surroundings.

Q2. My bike had Indian's Stage 1 pipes on from new. They were not loud but had a nice low rumbly note. I was talking with friends on a city corner one day and a stock Scout rode past, the exhaust note was quiet and very unimpressive. I was surprised it was so mild. I was once riding with 2 other Scouts which had aftermarket pipes (V&H Slash Cut and Crusher Maverick) and they were so loud and with such a sharp bark that I peeled off within a half hour and went elsewhere. Once again, it will depend on what level of noise you want, and whether you prefer low rumble or attack dog bark.

Q3. My bike also had the 1920 solo saddle from new. It's not a spring seat, but there have been people here who thought they were buying a spring seat. I found it very comfortable even with such thin padding. It allowed me room to move around a bit and not be forced into one position like on the stock seat. I used an Airhawk for longer rides.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just to clarify, I absolutely love my scout. I would have been thrilled with it even if I wasn’t allowed to change a thing. That being said, the scout is such a little billy badass that I think a nasty exhaust fits it quite well. The oversized quiet cans that come stock just weren’t for me.
Perhaps I misread earlier... I 100% agree that the stock exhaust is atrocious looking. I see aftermarket options that look amazing (regardless of sound change).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow thank you all very much I am still one year out but I feel now is the time to do the research, go to the showrooms, gather the data. Has anyone owned both the Bobber Sixty and The Scout? I know the Scout has more power but I am wondering if anyone has spent hours in the saddle on both bikes. One thing I read was that The Scout with the one up rider seat and bars offered a more comfortable riding position. Most rides I plan to take will not excess three to four hours which seems like it might be a long time in the seat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome MoJo, I am getting stage 1, 2 into 1 exhaust and air cleaner box installed FrIday, we'll see then. As for the seat, find a local upholster, I had 1" more than stock of better foam added, much better. Also, IMO, the floorboards are money well spent Paul
I was wondering about the floor boards they are pretty inexpensive add on I know I want the LED light so the floor boards will bot add a lot of cost to the monthly bill

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Wow thank you all very much I am still one year out but I feel now is the time to do the research, go to the showrooms, gather the data. Has anyone owned both the Bobber Sixty and The Scout? I know the Scout has more power but I am wondering if anyone has spent hours in the saddle on both bikes. One thing I read was that The Scout with the one up rider seat and bars offered a more comfortable riding position. Most rides I plan to take will not excess three to four hours which seems like it might be a long time in the seat.
Scouts are more comfy than bobbers. The only difference between the 60 and the regular are some cosmetics and 9 cubic inches. 60 vs 69 lmao

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Scouts are more comfy than bobbers. The only difference between the 60 and the regular are some cosmetics and 9 cubic inches. 60 vs 69 lmao
Yeah I am not worried a lot about power, most test rider videos say they are both sufficiently powered, although a few mentioned the extra gear six speed was nice on Highway. Comfort is an issue I have a bad back not horrible or crippling but bad and arthritis in both shoulders so reach may be an issue.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I like fenders that do their job, hence the Scout. I'm 68, back in the day 60c.i. was a big bike. Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Fuel tank Motorcycle accessories
At my age, one hr. in the saddle, time for a stretch anyway. Also, there are less expensive l.e.d. light options.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Yeah I am not worried a lot about power, most test rider videos say they are both sufficiently powered, although a few mentioned the extra gear six speed was nice on Highway. Comfort is an issue I have a bad back not horrible or crippling but bad and arthritis in both shoulders so reach may be an issue.
Well you’re gonna want to ride both. Not a test ride either. A lot of dealerships rent bikes. You’re gonna want significant time on each machine. The 6th gear is not an extra highway gear. It’s the same ratio as 5th on a 60. The 6 speed gearbox just changes your spacing between other gears.

Reactions: Paul C.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts