Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently installed this TBR system. Was easy to install ~2hrs. Removing the stock pipes was the hardest part. I will post the installation video on youtube but throught I share a clip of the exhaust sound first. I recorded a few runs on and off the bike. My dB meter was reading about 110dB peak 10ft away. Its very loud for my neighborhood so I went out of town just to do some tests. TBR Quiet core insert on the way. Hopefully it will bring it down below 95dB.

The fit and fish of the pipe is very good. The pipe does get hot and the exhaust header from the rear cylinder that bends around to join the front is right behind my right leg. I can feal a lot of heat from the included heatshield through my jeans. The included heat shield had about 1/4" spacing from the pipe which was not sufficient. I added another 1/4" spacing which made the heatshield significantly cooler. I also extended the shield to cover the front section. Will post picts if anyone is interested.

Here is the link to a short video if anyone is interested in hearing what it sounds like both on and off the bike.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,740 Posts
Hi,

I recently installed this TBR system. Was easy to install ~2hrs. Removing the stock pipes was the hardest part. I will post the installation video on youtube but throught I share a clip of the exhaust sound first. I recorded a few runs on and off the bike. My dB meter was reading about 110dB peak 10ft away. Its very loud for my neighborhood so I went out of town just to do some tests. TBR Quiet core insert on the way. Hopefully it will bring it down below 95dB.

The fit and fish of the pipe is very good. The pipe does get hot and the exhaust header from the rear cylinder that bends around to join the front is right behind my right leg. I can feal a lot of heat from the included heatshield through my jeans. The included heat shield had about 1/4" spacing from the pipe which was not sufficient. I added another 1/4" spacing which made the heatshield significantly cooler. I also extended the shield to cover the front section. Will post picts if anyone is interested.

Here is the link to a short video if anyone is interested in hearing what it sounds like both on and off the bike.
Wow very LOUD !

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
In your opinion would the exhaust be directed into the bag? I have leather bags and the only reason I have not installed this pipe is out of concern it would be deflecting the exhaust off my bag and either discolor it or make its contents stink.

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
Appreciate your time and sound clips for the TBR 2 to 1 system.
While I love the looks the sound level is to loud for my taste. If you
Get quieter baffles please post a new post and let us hear them.
Thank you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In your opinion would the exhaust be directed into the bag? I have leather bags and the only reason I have not installed this pipe is out of concern it would be deflecting the exhaust off my bag and either discolor it or make its contents stink.
Hi WhiteAngus,

Yes it does. It hits the bottom of my bag. I think the Indian Leather bags hangs lower and would be more exposed. I did check the bottom of the bag after a few minutes of riding and it was very slightly warmer than ambient. I gues I can add some tape-on heat shield in the future to protect it. For leathers, I’d probably cover the bottom with a thin sheet of aluminum just to be sure.

RT

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just received the tracking for the quiet baffle from TBR. I will post another video, hopefully it will be much quieter.

I love the sound but agree its too loud.

RT.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Received the quiet baffle from TBR.

Its still loud ~99db peak. My daughter doesn't want to ride with me anymore.

I decided to do some modifications to reduce the dB keeping in mind to minimize any interuption to the exhaust flow. The inside diameter of the new quiet baffle from TBR was 1.55". I have a few 1.5" chromoly steel tube left from prior years of building roll cages and decided to use it to extend the exhaust exit. I tested several lenths and found that a 5" tube will fit flush with the exhaust exit port while not extend any further into the perforation portion of the quiet core.

The longer the extension, the more back pressure but also the more mellow and quiet the tone became. I test all the way up to 12" and it sounded almost like the original stock pipes but that's not what I was after. I just need to reduce the dB down to near 92db.
With 5", it was around 94db... which was good enough.

1.5" tube diameter with 0.063" wall thickness.

Here are some pictures of the modification. Notice the inserted tube is flush with the stock exit port.
Muffler

I made sure the mods are only bolt on to the quiet core so it can easily be remove in the future. Notice the stainless bolt installed to lock the 1.5" tube. The inserted tube was tapped with 3 screws in a triagular pattern holding it in place. I did tack weld the screw edge to lock them in place.

The weld between the perforated screen and the 1.55" inner core was done from TBR factory. (Yellow markings) The inserted 1.5" tube is flush to the inside witht his inner core too.
Metal Auto part Steel Pipe Cylinder

Here is a video showing the sound with the Modified quiet core.

Reactions: Papa

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,740 Posts

I decided to do some modifications to reduce the dB keeping in mind to minimize any interuption to the exhaust flow. The inside diameter of the new quiet baffle from TBR was 1.55". I have a few 1.5" chromoly steel tube left from prior years of building roll cages and decided to use it to extend the exhaust exit. I tested several lenths and found that a 5" tube will fit flush with the exhaust exit port while not extend any further into the perforation portion of the quiet core.

The longer the extension, the more back pressure but also the more mellow and quiet the tone became. I test all the way up to 12" and it sounded almost like the original stock pipes but that's not what I was after. I just need to reduce the dB down to near 92db.

Here are some pictures of the modification. Notice the inserted tube is flush with the stock exit port.
View attachment 369664

I made sure the mods are only bolt on to the quiet core so it can easily be remove in the future. Notice the stainless bolt installed to lock the 1.5" tube. The inserted tube was tapped with 3 screws in a triagular pattern holding it in place. I did tack weld the screw edge to lock them in place.

The weld between the perforated screen and the 1.55" inner core was done from TBR factory. (Yellow markings) The inserted 1.5" tube is flush to the inside witht his inner core too.
View attachment 369668

Good job ! That sounds much better !

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
The modified quiet core sounds great and I like the look of that exhaust. How are you handling the tuning on that bike? Especially since you have modified the baffle outlet diameter. Reflash of the ECM or fuel controller?

·
Rider
1,072 Posts

View attachment 369664

View attachment 369668

The shorter the pipe, the more sound blast the driver and passenger get. Our Scout has the short Basanni and I ride with ear plugs....which is manageable. Without earplugs...cant imagine it. Also, if you upgrade your intake, that too will alter the exhaust note. Good luck- John

·
Registered
372 Posts
Any of the open filter intakes for the scout are surprisingly noisy, there's really a loud "bwahhhhhh" sound from the tank whenever you dip into the throttle. Even more noticeable when the gas tank gets low.

I did a similar-ish modification to the baffle in the Bassani, by slipping a slightly smaller diameter tube inside the core of the original baffle. It took the edge off but still quite loud. I experimented with putting it in both the inlet and outlet sides of the core, and settled on the inlet. The same tube on the outlet I found to really sound bad (raspy, tinny blat-ta-blat) and it noticeably choked the motor up at higher rpm. On the inlet side the note wasnt really affected, and neither was performance, at least not seat-of-pants.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The modified quiet core sounds great and I like the look of that exhaust. How are you handling the tuning on that bike? Especially since you have modified the baffle outlet diameter. Reflash of the ECM or fuel controller?
I don’t have any tuning on the ECU. With the quieter baffle, I may be back to where I was wtih the stock mufflers.

The Scout seems run pretty good but i have no way of testing definitively if there were any performance increase or decrease.

RT

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi,
The TBR exhaust does come with a heatshield. Its the same color and only blocks the bend right at the front. I will upload some pictures tomorrow. It does get very hot. The included heat shield only had a 1/4” space from the header. I put in some spacers to extend it out to 1/2” and it really helped.

With the stock foot pegs, my right lower calf just touches the heatshield when I brake. I can feel the heat through my jeans when I sit idle for a period of time, ex 2 minute light.

I recently installed the “reduce reach” relocation mount and now my legs are further away from the header so it works out great.

Overall, I love the looks of this pipe and the sound with the modifications to reduce the level db to 93. I also adapted a stainless slash cut end cap to the pipe.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you have any problems with heat on your right leg ? Just wondering since I don’t see a heat shield. I was asking about another brand that is a basic copy of this pipe.
Here are the pictures. What I like about TBR is the quality TIG welding work and the fact that its super lightweight. The raw stainless look also gives the bike a racy theme. Again, I added a slash cut end cap and a small plate to extended the stainless shield.

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Rim
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle

Auto part Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exhaust
Auto part Vehicle Exhaust system Automotive exhaust Motorcycle

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Tire Car

RT

1 - 20 of 28 Posts