Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a long ride yesterday and began noticing when I would push the lever to cancel the turn signal, it would not cancel but make the opposite side start flashing. At first I thought I must have done it by mistake, but it kept happening. It eventually will self cancel but sometimes I manually cancel it. It happened repeatedly after that, meaning manual cancel doesn't work. Anyone have this issue or any ideas on what to do with it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,793 Posts
Since no one has responded yet... Looks like those are costly to replace on the Chief, Chieftain, RM, SF at almost $600.
Edit: I was looking at pre-2018 parts, latest parts have separate switch/housing parts. So the later switch modules have lower cost of about $350 to $390, if I got that right.

If your still within warranty time that would be good, if such a thing is covered. No idea myself.
If not, you might be able to open the control housing and get a look at the switch inside. I would say it might be possible to clean* it to fix, except for what you said about it activating the opposite signal when trying to manually cancel. That seems like a problem with the mechanism or little lever, instead of the electrical contacts.

I'm only making guesses since I don't know what the actual switch looks like for these Indian's. I was thinking someone posted about waterproofing their switches, just not sure where.

*probably not just clean with electrical cleaner (spray) since I'm sure there must be a lubricant for switch movement too*

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I am still within warranty. Part of my thoughts have been that if something is not right in there, it's likely that code starts might not work either. That has a potential to be kinda bad. I never really am careful with water when I wash the bike so recently I started covering the switch areas on both sides with that kitchen cling wrap stuff. Just wondering if water has caused an issue in there. At any rate, I need to get it to the dealer while the warranty is still in effect. Thanks again.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the bike to the dealer and of course , it would not act up. The did a reflash on the bike and it hasn't happened again. I'm really wondering if it was moisture in there. I've been covering the switch housings when I wash the bike since then. Hopefully the issue won't resurface.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
well bike's just like a boat are sort of made to take some water. but with all the electronics involved could be connected to design. well also when u wash bike do u go to one of those do it yourselfs. pressure wash/power wash could be part of it. as that section made to get wet but not sprayed with water.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have never used a pressure wash wand at a car wash, always just a hose at home in my shop. Maybe water wasn't the issue either, but I can't believe it can be good to get water in those areas. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't see the issue again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts