Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if there is any way to change the sensitivity of the turn signals in regards to auto off after a turn? Mine, too often stay on after a turn is made. 2019 Roadmaster.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not that I know of, I believe it is speed related and you must hit 20 MPH to turn them off...

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,095 Posts
I've found they stay on for about 20 seconds or until I switch gears...
I'm still in the habit of canceling them myself though.

·
Silver member
4,932 Posts
Same here, I'm in he habit of just pushing the l'il button after I complete the turn.

·
Rider
768 Posts
Go Faster! Lean into your turn more! Your bike has to detect that it has made a turn before it can enable a reset. If you make a gentle turn, you will need to manually reset the turn indicator, or else it will continue to blink until it times out / distance traveled.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
I believe they will turn off after a certain distance is traveled,but I don't know what that distance is.The four wheelers work the same way!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Go Faster! Lean into your turn more! Your bike has to detect that it has made a turn before it can enable a reset. If you make a gentle turn, you will need to manually reset the turn indicator, or else it will continue to blink until it times out / distance traveled.
I think it is more likely related to increase in speed and/or distance traveled rather than lean angle. The auto-cancel works just fine on our trike. Obviously, it doesn't lean.

·
Rider
768 Posts
Below is what is in my manual. It does indicate that cancellation is based on speed or distance which explains why the signal will always reset, but may take longer than desired. It doesn't indicate lean angle as a contributing factor. However, I'm fairly certain that my turn signals will turn off much quicker when I come out of a turn if my bike is leaned into the turn, than when I take a turn without much lean. Perhaps I attributed it to lean angle when in fact it was just the speed going into, and then back out of the turn. Maybe the VCM is just using an algorithm to determine deceleration followed by acceleration and distance travelled. However, you look at it, more speed (deceleration/acceleration) will turn if off sooner than maintaining similar speeds into and out of a turn.

"Move the switch to the left to activate the left turn signals. Move the switch to the right to activate the right turn
signals. A signal will deactivate automatically when speed or distance reach predetermined levels. To cancel a
signal manually, move the switch to the center position and push it inward.Momentary Feature: Move the turn
signal switch left or right and hold it in that position for at least one second. The momentary feature will activate and
the signal will then cancel when the switch is released."

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone know if there is any way to change the sensitivity of the turn signals in regards to auto off after a turn? Mine, too often stay on after a turn is made. 2019 Roadmaster.
Thanks all....Mine just seems to be inconsistent overall as I have paid attention to your remarks as I ride. Tried a few things just to see and it works correctly about 75% of the time. I don't mind cancelling manually. I just figure it should work better than it does, Doing wheelies does not seem to make a difference.

·
Rider
944 Posts
I tried a couple of things yesterday also and that was to cut a sharp corner when turning and then when upright the signal did not cancel nor did it cancel at 20 or even 25 or with a gear change. As someone mentioned mine is also inconsistent with its behavior.

·
Bronze member
2,698 Posts
I’ve found the self cancelling feature on IM bikes takes longer to activate than on the HDs I owned. The signals will cut off, but it just takes longer. If the turn is slight, it’s not enough to activate the self cancelling feature...but this has been true on every bike I’ve owned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts