Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Rider
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all; About 50 % of the time, my turn signals don't cancel.

I feel this is a safety issue. (Either I'm looking down to see if they cancelled, or oncoming motorists
think I am turning, when I'm actually going straight).
I had the Stage 1 flash done and at that time I asked the dealer to look in to it. They found nothing
wrong. (Naturally)
Anyone else had this problem?

·
Senior member / gold
6,413 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
I came from riding a bike without self cancelling signals. My Chieftan works just about always, I like them. The only time they seem to fail is on a slow shallow turn, I've gotten used to knowing when I need to do it.

·
Super Moderator
4,753 Posts
Hello all; About 50 % of the time, my turn signals don't cancel.

I feel this is a safety issue. (Either I'm looking down to see if they cancelled, or oncoming motorists
think I am turning, when I'm actually going straight).
I had the Stage 1 flash done and at that time I asked the dealer to look in to it. They found nothing
wrong. (Naturally)
Anyone else had this problem?
I have a stage 1 flash on #37, on a rare occasion, very rare, the signal won't cancel. Just push it in, stops every time!!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,351 Posts
As far as I can tell, they cancel after you accelerate to a certain speed after activation (probably some other criteria in there as well). I know that if I signal to turn into a parking lot and then park, they will still be on when I go to park.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I noticed the same thing this weekend on my Chieftain. Most of the time I cancel them manually, just habit. Ride safe and enjoy the time you have on two wheels, it won't last forever...you may end up on three :)

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Turn Signal cancellation works fine on my 2015 Chieftain, just have a little patience, they will cancel.

>--------> >--------> >-------->

Live Free and Die Well

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I just use my thumb to cancel,self -cancelling takes too long for me.
+1

If I recall earlier conversation... if you turn and change up in gears, it will cancel automatically. If you don't shift up and stay in the same gear or down shift, it does not cancel.

Like others here, I see it as a 'back up' system. If I forget to cancel, it might cancel for me at some point. :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Mine work maybe half the time. I've gotten in to the habit of pushing in the button after each turn. Don't have to take my eyes of the road or try to move it left or right. Just press the button in and it cancels the signals.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Mine works, but I find it flashes too long before cancelling. When pulling into a parking lot I cancell it manually, or it will just go and go. This sends a bad intention to impatient cagers who have no problem pulling in front of you, thinking you are turning. It's fine on long stretch of roads, but be cautious in low speed congested areas. Know the quirks of the machine, and cancell it manually in congested traffic.

·
Rider
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies. After having 13 Harleys, and now coming over to Indian, I just expected that the signals would work as well as H-D.

Everything else is better. But not the turn signals. I want to concentrate on the road, not worry if the signals canceled. I will have to break my habit

and self cancel.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,351 Posts
Thanks for the replies. After having 13 Harleys, and now coming over to Indian, I just expected that the signals would work as well as H-D.

Everything else is better. But not the turn signals. I want to concentrate on the road, not worry if the signals canceled. I will have to break my habit

and self cancel.

At least the switch to turn them off is easy, unlike those ones on the Harley. When I first got my Harley I thought "How ingenious! A button on the left to control the left signal. A button on the right to control the right signal". In practice, however, I found that using the throttle at the same time as turning on a signal could be quite awards and clumsy.

·
Rider
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes as Mikehell said, if you are turning into a parking lot, mine will not go off. The Indians are premium bikes. One would
assume that the minor issue of turn signal cancellation would not be a problem.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
It appears if you aren't aggressive in your turn they don't cancel. So an easy barely leaning turn or just plain slow and they won't cancel. They will cancel if you wait long enough. I think they time out actually. It's actually safer to just be in the habit of cancelling them yourself rather than depend on technology. JMHO

Reactions: Roadie

·
Registered
808 Posts
I agree with Tom, the turn signal cancalation is the only thing Harley does better, ........well checking oil without the bike being on a jack is nice too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts