Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tune or 116 big bore kit. I want to bring some life back to my 2017 Springfield and can’t decide which would be better a good tune or the 116 big bore kit. Money is not to be a deciding factor. Which would you do. All opinions are welcomed. Thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
My suggestion would be to first try a PV3 and install a decent tune. Cash outlay $400 for the device and $0-$200 for the tune (yourself or from someone like CraigB1960). If that doesn't satisfy, then add the BBK and retune for that. Although you say money is not the deciding factor, it seems prudent to try the less costly/invasive procedure first, since its usefulness should apply to the BBK as well. Others can chime in to confirm this.

·
Rider
550 Posts
If money is no object of course you go for the BBK, and it will come with a tune! Just be aware of possible cold start issues especially if you are in the N northern half of the country and possibly more vibration.WW Smith does make some excellent points though!

·
Rider
1,192 Posts
If money is no object of course you go for the BBK, and it will come with a tune! Just be aware of possible cold start issues especially if you are in the N northern half of the country and possibly more vibration.WW Smith does make some excellent points though!
That’s the first I heard of any issues with the BBK. Could you elaborate a little? Thanks.

·
Rider
1,591 Posts
Not sure what your set up is now. If you have a stock bike get all the stage 1 stuff done along with a tuner cause thats gonna be needed. If you have the stage 1 done you might be happy adding a set of cams with a good tune. With the 2017s you will need new valve springs if you go anything bigger than Indian Stage 2 Cams. The 558s are good the 585 may make the bike noisy and a cam \ tuner combo is much cheaper than a BBK. If have the spare coin and just want to go big or go home, still get a tuner.

·
Rider
944 Posts
Cold start issues if he has any can be fixed in tuning so not a problem.

·
Rider
550 Posts
That’s the first I heard of any issues with the BBK. Could you elaborate a little? Thanks.
Several members here have reported hard start in cold weather conditionswith BBK. If you are having trouble starting cold with a 111 adding bore and compression certainly isn't going to help!

·
Silver member
5,038 Posts
GO with a tune first. You will need a PV3 anyway if you get the big bore kit so why not try a tune first? I find my 111 is pretty fantastic with just a good tune. Will it scream off the line, NO. But once you hit second gear and up it rolls on hard and fast and will pass anything with ease on the highway...

·
Rider
1,069 Posts
Stage 2 parts, good breathing intake, with an exhaust system that scavenges well (they all don't) and gets rid of the CAT, Stage 2 cams, and a PV3 with a good tune from CraigB1960, does wonders for a stock Thunder Stroke 111

·
Bronze member
1,237 Posts
If costs aren't particularly critical, I can't imagine any other answer... 116 CI Big Bore Kit. I've gotten excellent tunes from Dynojet and Fuel Moto.
I also ported the cylinder heads, but the stock ports are so huge that I have doubts that porting adds much to the final package.
My '16 Roadmaster BBK hauls arse and it starts and behaves every bit as well mannered and reliably as it did when it was bone stock. The only down side to having a BBK Thunderstroke shows up if you ride a 111 cubic inch model. The stockers just feel anemic after you've been riding a 116 for a while.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Tune or 116 big bore kit. I want to bring some life back to my 2017 Springfield and can’t decide which would be better a good tune or the 116 big bore kit. Money is not to be a deciding factor. Which would you do. All opinions are welcomed. Thanks
Lloyds 121 Big Bore Kit and heads....

·
Registered
43 Posts
I though about it just like you did and talked to many people about the same. After all of the discussion I went with the BBK! Loving it so far. Well worth the $$$ and if there’s a problem I can take the bike back to the dealer no questions asked on what tune I have on the bike. Also went with Rineheart headers and pipes. Best decision ever I can’t wait for some good riding weather now! It’s cold ? in Bean Town!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hogwild
My 2 cents--
My BBK was arguably the best / worst upgrade to my bike.
When first installed, it was extremely sensitive to throttle input which made it challenging to ride on the twisties.
I already had a tuner on it from stage 2 but waited until the upgrade recall was complete to do my remote tune with Craig Bennett/FuelMoto.
My bike was a challenge but 2 months and 22 maps later, we arrived at a tune that was a perfect fit for me and the bike.
Then the cold weather set in and it was difficult to start when the temps dropped below 60 degrees.
It wold lag, stall, backfire, throw codes, and sometimes not start at all.
Craig had reached back out to me as he was aware of my problem and had some success while tuning other's bikes.
We tried 3 more tunes and got it to where it would always start by the 2nd or 3rd attempt.
Finally, learned on this forum that if you put a heater on the lower right side of the engine for an hour before startup, it would start normal like a summer day.

Best - bike was a beast and was not afraid to let anyone know it.
Worst - Ride bike to work regularly and in cold weather had concerns of it starting after sitting out in the cold for 10 hours without a way to warm the engine first.
Heat on right calf was immense - ended up adding a set of Love Jugs to be able to ride comfortably when temps over 90 degrees.

I agree with what others have already said - do a tuner from FuelMoto and a remote tune with Craig Bennet first, then if you still want more, then cams, headpipe, BBK, etc.
By getting the tuner first, you loose nothing because you will definitely need it anyway once you start modifying the engine more.

Just decide what works best for you, where you live, and your style of riding.
Since you started off by saying - add a little life back in---
Personally, if it were me again, I would do stage 1 intake and pipes, stage 2 cams, Jackpot headpipe, and remote tune with Craig.
But that's based on where I live - 20 miles outside the closest suburbs - and where I like to ride - the mountains.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Definitely more vibration w/the BBK on my 2017 CDH, can really feel it in my hands.....and feet, for that matter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well mate I just did a BBK, Freedom True Duels with pipes complete, Air Box and a P3 DynoJet tuner my bike is untouchable, just make sure you have a professional installer, I highly recommend Twigg's in Maryland, they have done numerous installs and know how to make the Roadmaster move. I have no problems, no heat from exhaust, no starting problems and I live in PA gets cold here. I drove a few hundred miles just to have Twigg's Indian modify my bike.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts