Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 CDH on which I have removed the plugs in the stock exhaust and installed a K&N filter, my question is if I were to install a gutted cat would I need to update the tune to compensate? I like the volume it has right now and would like to reduce the heat by gutting the cat but not at the expense of having to have it tuned.

·
Bronze member
2,223 Posts
You should be fine!
Gutting the cat is not going to significantly alter your AFRs.

80% of most people's riding is in closed loop (where the ECU adjusts automatically) ... and Indian has programmed WOT open loop ops to run quite rich (12.2) ... so you might actually fall into a sweet spot (12.6-12.8 at WOT) with your mild upgrades.

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,638 Posts
Wow C, took the words right outta my mouth..

And, the faster burn rate ( if 12.6 - 12.8 were achieved) over 12.2 (all at WOT of course) would render the stock ignition scheme "aggressive"..

Results could be a "twofer" performance wise !

Transition ops and the low end of open loop ops ( large throttle, but not WOT) could go a bit lean though..

Reactions: cmoalem

·
Bronze member
2,223 Posts
Wow C, took the words right outta my mouth..

And, the faster burn rate ( if 12.6 - 12.8 were achieved) over 12.2 (all at WOT of course) would render the stock ignition scheme "aggressive"..

Results could be a "twofer" performance wise !

Transition ops and the low end of open loop ops ( large throttle, but not WOT) could go a bit lean though..
Transition ops is very narrow ... and not that lean ... somewhere in the 13s.

(We are running sometimes for a limited timebclosed loop 14.7 there if we need to tune without WBCX (psshhht). Just the highest load ops needs low 13s ... mid 12s)

And: A K&N filter in the bedpan housing is not going to flow gobs of air more than stock!

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,638 Posts
Wow.. so the "news" just gets better (limited transition ops and those stock targets are good anyway...)

I wish more understood what you and I are talking about. There'd be more chances that someone's (likely) gonna shatter prevailing "wisdom" on 111 performance modding..

At some point in the future, I intend/hope to do it myself..

Reactions: cmoalem

·
Silver member
4,632 Posts
I have a 2019 CDH on which I have removed the plugs in the stock exhaust and installed a K&N filter, my question is if I were to install a gutted cat would I need to update the tune to compensate? I like the volume it has right now and would like to reduce the heat by gutting the cat but not at the expense of having to have it tuned.
As the others have stated, you are fine with the factory stock calibration. Now if you want better throttle response, a tighter tune, etc... then a PV3 with a good stock improved tune would be a beneficial investment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help guys, very informative. At what point should a new tune be installed??

·
Silver member
4,632 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, very informative. At what point should a new tune be installed??
Anytime you install components that result in a freer breathing engine. Exhaust and AC, Cams, Head work, BBK, etc.

There are other reasons to install a better tune as pointed out on my last post. My biggest pet peeve when I got my RM in 2016 was the horrible throttle response and the surge from the injector cut-on threshold. A good canned tune took care of those issues.

·
Registered
2019 CDH
104 Posts
No to beat a dead horse or anything, but just to put it in Lehman's term. I'm adding the Mutazu's 4in slip on exhaust just for the sound ONLY. I don't need a tune, correct? Thanks

·
Silver member
4,632 Posts
No to beat a dead horse or anything, but just to put it in Lehman's term. I'm adding the Mutazu's 4in slip on exhaust just for the sound ONLY. I don't need a tune, correct? Thanks
You are correct.

·
Registered
2019 CDH
104 Posts
You are correct.
Thanks. I'm not a performance guy. My performance interest ends at the gas mileage. LOL. I like the look of the Indian high flow air cleaner also. What If I decide to replace the OEM filter also for the high flow air cleaner? That will be the extent of my engine mods. Thanks

·
Silver member
4,632 Posts
Thanks. I'm not a performance guy. My performance interest ends at the gas mileage. LOL. I like the look of the Indian high flow air cleaner also. What If I decide to replace the OEM filter also for the high flow air cleaner? That will be the extent of my engine mods. Thanks
You will be okay, however since it is an Indian hi-flow, it comes with a calibration card, I would have it flashed to stage 1.

·
Registered
2019 CDH
104 Posts
You will be okay, however since it is an Indian hi-flow, it comes with a calibration card, I would have it flashed to stage 1.
Ok. Thanks. I really appreciate the info. Now if only I can get the wife on the bike for a ride, I'd be complete. LOL. Thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts