Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Minor eff-up, major nuisance. Assistance needed.

Hadda change the Scout battery. Removal and replacement no BD. Problem is this: There is a hose that splits and connects at the rear of the tank. Those two plastic connections looked vulnerable (and in the way), so I pulled the female ends off and just lifted them out of the way. The problem came up when I tried to reconnect them. No way can I get them to fully seat back onto the male leads that come out from under the tank. In Indian's brilliance, those (flexible) connectors route through the blind tunnel of the rear tank bracket. So, I can't access the forward end of them to stabilize them to push the rubber hoses back on.

Hopefully someone else has made this mistake and found a way to get things reassembled. Thanks much. Apologies if you see this in more than one place...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
Ncognito using a pair of pointy nose plyers hold the male end behind the wide part (?) and push the female ends on.

IMG_0164.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried that, but couldn’t pull the male end out far enough to get the rubber part past the second barb. The left (larger) side has even less slack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
You shouldn’t have too, but you could remove the four bolts that hold the back of the tank, and lift it for a little more room. If you do this though I’d recommend putting a rag or something at the front of the tank under the speedometer, so it doesn’t accidentally bump it. One is the tank vent and the other is for if you overfill the tank. I did put them back on, but I did accidentally forget to hook them back up for about 1,000 miles last time I took the tank off. Lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tried that too. Didn't give me enough extra room to make a difference.

FWIW a post in the other sandbox pointed out that the hoses go up to but not over the second barb. I pretty much confirmed this when I discovered that the inside of the hoses have a step which limits the insertion depth. Thanks for the help!
 

·
Rider
Joined
·
654 Posts
You probabally routed the tubes incorrectly when you changed the battery. Make sure you have enough slack for them to go and stay on. They pretty much go on without a lot of fuss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You probabally routed the tubes incorrectly when you changed the battery. Make sure you have enough slack for them to go and stay on. They pretty much go on without a lot of fuss.
No way to mis-route them. The feeds from the front are rigid, as is the joined tube that goes down the side of the frame. They weren't moved. The rubber hoses are less than 2" long, so...
This system is built without a lot of slack on either end. The issue turned out to be my expectation that the rubber hoses went over both barbs instead of only the first one.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top