Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if these new Indian bikes have tubes in the tires. I hope not, most manufacturers have figured out how to make a spoked wheel without a tube in the tire.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not that I have asked however the Chieftain has cast wheels, other two models have spoked wheels. Do any Vic models have spoked wheels. Would imagine they would be the same???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a 2012 Cross Roads LE, it had tubed tires. I'm hopeing Polaris upgraded on the Indians.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Want Spoke Wheels Better Off with a Tube ... One reason Why the Chieftain is the only Indian would have among others ...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
19011 said:
Not that I have asked however the Chieftain has cast wheels, other two models have spoked wheels. Do any Vic models have spoked wheels. Would imagine they would be the same???
My 2012 Hardball has spokes

·
Registered
83 Posts
Unfortunately polaris is still in the caveman stage in regards to the problem with tubes and spokes, but if you think about it if and when your bike goes down and one day it will you get to spend almost $400.00 to get your bike rolling again.FROM THE DEALER.
Yes new back tire and new tube,
And guess what the back tire with tube does not have a retaining valve stem so it goes flat and the tube stem goes into your tire and now you cant even air your tire up.

·
Founding member / distinguished
5,404 Posts
Three days after picking up my new Chief Classic last June, I picked up a sheet metal screw in my rear tire. The dealer came out about ten miles and picked up my bike from the side of the road. They didn't have to, but in this case they waived the tow fee, but even so, it cost me $495 to get the bike back on the road a few days later. The new tire was $350, the tube was $30 (but only because they did not have a genuine 'Indian' tube in stock, which would have cost $90 by itself). They found a suitable tube somewhere else and, in an emergency, used it instead of the Indian tube. Had I been charged for the pickup and tow, and $90 for the Indian tube, my total bill could have gone as high as $800 in a worst-case scenario.

I was at the dealership just yesterday, and was discussing this 'tube' situation with the parts manager, and she told me that they will not use any other tube in the rear tire of the Chief with spoked wheels because, for some reason, it has a special stem arrangement and no other tube is safe to use in it. If this truly is the case, I will be selling my Chief this year and buying something else. In my old age, my tolerance for BS like this is simply running out, no matter how much I like the bike otherwise.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
That is BS, there are aftermarket tubes with the proper stem location and angle But don't through the baby out with the bath water. When you need new tire(s) Have them install an OUTEX kit. It seals the spokes and allows tubeless running.

·
Founding member / distinguished
5,404 Posts
That is BS, there are aftermarket tubes with the proper stem location and angle But don't through the baby out with the bath water. When you need new tire(s) Have them install an OUTEX kit. It seals the spokes and allows tubeless running.
There are several other 'motivations' to possibly selling my Chief, not all of them irritants like the parts and Accessories gouging that are apparently justified by the notion that the Chief is a 'premium' brand, and therefore 'premuim' costs are to be expected for anything related to the machine.

Reviews of the OUTEX tubeless kits are anything but encouraging.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
There are several other 'motivations' to possibly selling my Chief, not all of them irritants like the parts and Accessories gouging that are apparently justified by the notion that the Chief is a 'premium' brand, and therefore 'premuim' costs are to be expected for anything related to the machine.

Reviews of the OUTEX tubeless kits are anything but encouraging.
You can buy a complete set of new tubeless wheels including new Metzler tires for less than $2800

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=311487623837&alt=web

>--------> >--------> >-------->

Live Free and Die Well

·
Registered
395 Posts
Boy this is an old post. I bought the 2014 Vintage and never had a flat driving all over the country. Changed the back tire after I wore it out and put in a IRC tube, the same one Indian uses as the OEM for around $20. I traded for a 2015 Chieftain last fall, and got a flat at around 600 miles that required a new back tire, but I got home without a tow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts