Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an aftermarket solo seat rail. It arrived without the required screws and washers. Does anyone know the correct size of the screws that I need?

Thanks for any information.

Kathy

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
I purchased an aftermarket solo seat rail. It arrived without the required screws and washers. Does anyone know the correct size of the screws that I need?

Thanks for any information.

Kathy
What seat rail? I have an RM. For the fall, I removed the trunk and two up tour seat. I then installed an OEM Solo seat, AND OEM GRAB rail that wraps around the back and sides. Is this the rail of which you speak?

20190825_170720.jpg

If so, that connects in a very unique, probably proprietary manner with 2 hex bolts, 4 spacers and 2 flat washers.
If your installing this as well:
20190828_135712.jpg

It comes with additional hardware that interlocks with the GRAB rail AND Solo Seat.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What seat rail? I have an RM. For the fall, I removed the trunk and two up tour seat. I then installed an OEM Solo seat, AND OEM GRAB rail that wraps around the back and sides. Is this the rail of which you speak?

View attachment 522054

If so, that connects in a very unique, probably proprietary manner with 2 hex bolts, 4 spacers and 2 flat washers.
If your installing this as well:
View attachment 522056
It comes with additional hardware that interlocks with the GRAB rail AND Solo Seat.
Thanks for the reply, I am trying to install the solo seat grab rail and am wanting to purchase the necessary screws. I am assuming it screws into the bottom of the seat in the rearmost holes. Correct?

Kathy

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I am trying to install the solo seat grab rail and am wanting to purchase the necessary screws. I am assuming it screws into the bottom of the seat in the rearmost holes. Correct?

Kathy
I have to take my seat off this afternoon. I will take a picture. I wont be able to get screw size but YOU MUST have the spacers that go down in those holes. They are definitely special spacers. Ive never seen any like it.
If you later add the rack Im adding, you remove 1 spacer on each side, leaving the other in place.

Darren

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Post a picture of the connection points here of your aftermarket grab rail so I can compare.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Post a picture of the connection points here of your aftermarket grab rail so I can compare.
Here is the link to the Amazon page with the item photos. It appears exactly as in the photos except missing the hardware and any mounting instructions.

https://www.amazon.com/USA-E55-Chrome-Indian-Chieftain/dp/B01N7R4TSH/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=Indian motorcycle seat rail&qid=1566300966&s=gateway&sr=8-12&tag=indianmotorcyclescon-20

I have emailed the seller via Amazon. I have no idea if I'll hear anything back or receive any help.....

·
Silver member
3,826 Posts
Kathy - I checked mine on my Vintage. Threaded portion of the bolts is about 1/2 inch long. I don't know what the thread size or diameter is but they look to be a little shy of 1/4 inch. If it were me, I'd take the rail to a hardware store and do some test fitting. And be sure to pick up a couple of washers for the rail bolts too.

·
Silver member
4,805 Posts
Here you go.

upload_2019-8-30_8-17-6.png

upload_2019-8-30_8-17-42.png

Reactions: high plains rider

·
Silver member
4,805 Posts
Here is the pdf you can print if needed.

Attachments

·
Silver member
3,826 Posts
That's good!! (o: I looked in my manual and is gives this.... M x 1.0 x 15. There's no 6 after the M. Great help, right? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Installed the same grab rail on my wife's CDH. While it came with the bolts/screws, it was missing one spacer.
As posted those are metric bolts. All bolts on Polaris Indians are metric. These are M6 x 1.0 x15 translated to English -- 6mm diameter, 1mm pitch, 15 mm length. Pretty common at most hardware stores. And, you might be more likely to find them in stainless steel which will be a couple of dollars.

The problem child is the spacers. Those are NOT common. But, I just used some metric washers - 2 or 3 stacked to make up the space between the rail bracket and seat. Beware that the grab rail comes very close to your fender. I think the Indian product has some rubber spacers. The Chinese version does not. While at the hardware store pickup some silicone cabinet door bumpers. Glue them to rail bracket so it cannot scratch the fender.
https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Bumpers-Pack-Clear-SP950-NA/dp/B01N922DLO/ref=sr_1_11?crid=28MK15HBIJSQW&keywords=silicone+cabinet+door+bumpers&qid=1567182697&s=gateway&sprefix=silicone+cabi,aps,979&sr=8-11

Oh. I forgot, since you are going to the hardware store, pick up some BLUE threadlocker from Loctite (brand). Dab some on the threads so they bolts won't vibrate out.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed the same grab rail on my wife's CDH. While it came with the bolts/screws, it was missing one spacer.
As posted those are metric bolts. All bolts on Polaris Indians are metric. These are M6 x 1.0 x15 translated to English -- 6mm diameter, 1mm pitch, 15 mm length. Pretty common at most hardware stores. And, you might be more likely to find them in stainless steel which will be a couple of dollars.

The problem child is the spacers. Those are NOT common. But, I just used some metric washers - 2 or 3 stacked to make up the space between the rail bracket and seat. Beware that the grab rail comes very close to your fender. I think the Indian product has some rubber spacers. The Chinese version does not. While at the hardware store pickup some silicone cabinet door bumpers. Glue them to rail bracket so it cannot scratch the fender.
https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Bumpers-Pack-Clear-SP950-NA/dp/B01N922DLO/ref=sr_1_11?crid=28MK15HBIJSQW&keywords=silicone+cabinet+door+bumpers&qid=1567182697&s=gateway&sprefix=silicone+cabi,aps,979&sr=8-11

Oh. I forgot, since you are going to the hardware store, pick up some BLUE threadlocker from Loctite (brand). Dab some on the threads so they bolts won't vibrate out.

Thanks! This is very helpful!!

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Here is the link to the Amazon page with the item photos. It appears exactly as in the photos except missing the hardware and any mounting instructions.

https://www.amazon.com/USA-E55-Chrome-Indian-Chieftain/dp/B01N7R4TSH/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=Indian motorcycle seat rail&qid=1566300966&s=gateway&sr=8-12&tag=indianmotorcyclescon-20

I have emailed the seller via Amazon. I have no idea if I'll hear anything back or receive any help.....
That SHOULD fit. You will never find the spacers. Excellent chance Amazon and/or seller will contact you. You can always elevate to Amazon as a vendor complaint but that ticks them off.

20190830_092647.jpg
20190830_092637.jpg
20190830_092617.jpg
20190830_092600.jpg
20190830_092556.jpg
20190830_092350.jpg
20190830_092341.jpg

Did yours come with the two rubber bumpers?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That SHOULD fit. You will never find the spacers. Excellent chance Amazon and/or seller will contact you. You can always elevate to Amazon as a vendor complaint but that ticks them off.

View attachment 522114 View attachment 522116 View attachment 522118 View attachment 522120 View attachment 522122 View attachment 522124 View attachment 522126

Did yours come with the two rubber bumpers?

No rubber bumpers. I got some clear, silicone stick-on bumpers to stick on the plate. How vital are those spacers?

Kathy

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Kathy - I checked mine on my Vintage. Threaded portion of the bolts is about 1/2 inch long. I don't know what the thread size or diameter is but they look to be a little shy of 1/4 inch. If it were me, I'd take the rail to a hardware store and do some test fitting. And be sure to pick up a couple of washers for the rail bolts too.
They are 6mm and nearly 1 inch long. Problem is the SPACERS. Those spacers are requured to prevent loose fit. Without the spacers the bolt will move around inside the plastic molding and grab rail will move around as well.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
No rubber bumpers. I got some clear, silicone stick-on bumpers to stick on the plate. How vital are those spacers?

Kathy
Very. The clear stick ons are how thick 1/4? When you have those in contact with rear fender, you have the seat mounted correctly. Spacers are vital to prevent the grab rail from moving around. Will be too much slop.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts

Its not the space between the bracket and seat that the spacers are for. The spacers create a shoulder on the bolt where there is threads. There are 2 stacked so if you also install the solo LUGGAGE rack you only use one vs two without the luggage rack installed.

For proper installation AND stability you need th he spacers. I will have 2 extra after I install the luggage rack this weekend. But you need 4.

Darren

·
Silver member
3,826 Posts
I bought my rail used. I didn't even know about the spacers, didn't know they were part of the install or parts required. I had a couple of 6mm bolts about 1/2 inch long and washers that fit them in one of my parts buckets, and just bolted the rail to the seat. Seems to be holding ok but guess I should head to a hardware store and look for longer bolts? I don't have the rack but would like to get one in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
Its not the space between the bracket and seat that the spacers are for. The spacers create a shoulder on the bolt where there is threads. There are 2 stacked so if you also install the solo LUGGAGE rack you only use one vs two without the luggage rack installed.

For proper installation AND stability you need th he spacers. I will have 2 extra after I install the luggage rack this weekend. But you need 4.

Darren
Well, I did not install mine correctly.o_O I installed the grab rail so that is was between the seat and fender NOT between the seat and seat bracket as shown in your photo. So, the grab rail mounting bracket is closer to the fender by a couple of millimeters and my spacers did not fit in the holes of the seat bracket as yours do. I have not seen any slop on the bracket. And, my wife has picked up her fallen Indian by using the grab rail. I know, not the preferred method, but I could not get there in time to help.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts