Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious... how many want to replace their TS111 bike with the new FTR1200? Please explain your decision.

·
Founding member / distinguished
4,984 Posts
I doubt if many 111 owners would "replace" their bikes with FTR's, though a few might be willing to add one to their existing fleet. Among 111 riders, given their ages, i would suspect that the Scout would hold more appeal to them than the FTR.

·
Rider
308 Posts
I think the FTR is the perfect "add on" or bike for someone who likes that style of riding. Someone who has paid the money and bought a 111 bike, wants something big and comfortable as well as makes a statement with a name like Indian and sticks to the roots. The FTR is an awesome bike but it's far from Indian traditional bikes. Would I buy one... possibly! Would I trade my 111 in for one... definitely not. If I got one, it would be parked next to the Chieftain and Scout as it won't replace either one of them

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
Just curious... how many want to replace their TS111 bike with the new FTR1200? Please explain your decision.
With the New Fixed fairing motorcycle obviously coming to market, seems like you could have it both ways.
(A full sized bike with a huge FTR power plant).

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
While I'm sure among all the TS111 owners so far, there'll probably be at least one who will trade it in on a FTR, I'd imagine it would be a rare occurrence. They are aimed at different tastes and riding styles, and while I'm sure there are riders who'd like both, among those who enjoy both relaxed cruising and adrenaline packed sport riding, if they have to choose 1 bike, they typically go for the cruiser, because they will get more use and mileage out of it. Now the new muscle cruiser fixed fairing bike will be an interesting caveat to this conversation.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,696 Posts
They're so different that it's unlikely for most owners of the big 111 powered bikes. In my case owning two bikes at the same time isn't happening unless I win the lottery of win an FTR or something like that.

·
Bronze member
1,945 Posts
Two different groups - the bagger crowd tends to be older riders who love their creature comforts (stereo, navigation, floorboards, fairing, upright seating position, heated grips/seat, lowers, etc.). The FTR seating position, lack of amenities, isn't going to please the bagger crowd. I sat on an FTR, and while it was a neat bike, I couldn't tolerate that position for long...I'm 60 by the way. Perhaps a bagger guy with money to burn might buy one as a as an around town second bike. I'd never replace my RM with an FTR.

·
3,696 Posts
I am 66 with lots of achy joints and a lower back pain that varies from day to day. While I'm probably not going to buy an FTR I will still gladly take a demo ride on one.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They're so different that it's unlikely for most owners of the big 111 powered bikes. In my case owning two bikes at the same time isn't happening unless I win the lottery of win an FTR or something like that.
So you do want one but do not see spending the money?

·
3,696 Posts
At this point in time I have some major expenditures to get a new detached 2 car size garage built. Once I get past this financially then maybe if all goes well otherwise. It will take a few years though on a retirement income.

·
Senior member / rider
791 Posts
I sat on two FTR variants at the IMS. One was tall, one was very tall. They also felt cramped to me, too much knee bend. Granted, my knees and hips are pretty bad at this point. I was a bit disappointed that I wasn’t comfortable on the FTR, but I’m probably not the target demographic. I will say, it’s a good looking machine.

·
Silver member
4,419 Posts
I would love to have one for my hooliganism to shine, but I would definitely keep my TS111 Springfield. But the FTR would be loads of fun. Ride it on the highway to one of our mountain ranges, ride it all day on the Fire Roads, then ride it home. No pick-up, trailer, or any of the b.s.

Sounds like fun to me! At 51, I can still ride it pretty comfortably...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well, I have a RM, Motus and a deposit on an FTR. I like to ride the RM for the reasons I own it and would never trade it for an FTR. I love to drive the Motus for the reasons I own it and will not trade it for an FTR. However, if the FTR scratches itch I have for something between the RM and Motus, I will add it to my cycle garage. After the initial FTR love affair is over, it will be interesting to see who is really buying FTRs, the younger generation or the older generation wanting to feel young again.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts