Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, I've got 70,000 on it now and decided to take another look see. This time I opened up the primary too. Here is what I found.

Remember that I posted at 32,000, that thread is here...... TS111 cam chain, tensioner wear after 32,000 miles.

Timing chain first. I was surprised to find still no signs of wear on the faces of the tensioner shoes. Here's the pic I took today.

upload_2017-7-4_23-19-57.jpeg

Here's the pic from the other thread at 32,000 miles.

upload_2017-7-4_23-21-4.jpeg

No visible sign of wear to be seen anywhere. I put it back together with no qualms. Then went to the primary side.

Removed the primary cover and pulled the clutch plates to measure them and inspect the clutch hub and basket for wear. Inspected all the clutch steels, no sign of wear, warping, or any damage at all. On to the friction plates, again no visible damage seen. Measured them with a micrometer and compared to minimum spec of .126 inch. The inner measured .132, the rest measured .137. They measured the same at 4 places around each. (No pictures of this as there's nothing to really see.)

OK then, no signs of wear so far, what about the clutch hub and basket? Here's a couple of pics of those. Note that the teeth on the steel plates ride on the narrow splines of the clutch hub, and the teeth on the friction plates ride in the wide slots in the outside basket.

upload_2017-7-4_23-34-43.jpeg

upload_2017-7-4_23-35-38.jpeg

There are visible polished spots where the clutch plates ride on the hub and basket, but no real wear there at all. I can't feel the marks, they are just visible.

Next thing to look at is the gear drive primary. I've been wondering how the gears would stand up. Here's a couple of pics of them.

upload_2017-7-4_23-40-22.jpeg

upload_2017-7-4_23-40-39.jpeg

Again, no wear to be seen. Also, I tried to feel if there was any perceptible lash between the gears, and with the clutch plates out and the clutch basket free to rotate I could not detect any play between them at all.

As an aside, I had thought that they were using a split gear or "scissors gear" set up in the primary to keep gear lash in control. This was based on Kevin Cameron's cycle world article detailing the engine from March of 2013 where he states the engine he saw was using it. Exclusive: Inside the all-new Indian Thunder Stroke 111 V-Twin Engine . Finding it missing I went back and re-read the article and noted that he said they may not need to use them in production engines. I have noticed that some of these engines have more pronounced gear whine from the primary than others, sounding like a blower drive sometimes, which would indicate that gear lash is somewhat variable due to production tolerances. I know from experience that excessive lash will cause clattering noise in gear driven valve trains (H-D shovel and evo engines need to have their cam drive gears matched to keep noise and wear under control and there are a variety of gears in slightly different sizes to accomplish this.) I wonder if this isn't another possible cause of the dreaded clack? Anyway, back to the analysis.

Last thing is the oil pump drive gear, which is a plastic or fiber gear.

upload_2017-7-4_23-43-22.jpeg

Again, absolutely no visible wear or any other signs of deterioration. I put it all back together and took a test ride, everything OK.

I think the engineers deserve a lot of credit for getting the material specs and designs right to build a solid, reliable, long lasting engine. KUDOS to those guys.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Love the pictures, thanks for the insight. Looks very promising.

·
Founding member / rider
863 Posts
Thanks for the very informative report.

Could you tell us at the 70,000 mile mark, how the rest of the bike has held up?

Things like the drive belt, wheel bearings, spark plugs and what ever else you could report.

How do you think the top end is doing such as pistons, rings, cylinders, valves, valve train, etc?

Has the oil consumption increased or ? since new?

Thanks again for the effort you put into this thread.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
very cool. One of the perks of working at a dealership is that I get to see what comes in for repair work. After 1 1/2 years I have seen several bikes come in for service and repairs due to accidents/drops. I've seen two bikes come in due to failure. The first was a customer who's oil filter totally disintegrated causing it to run through the system (he thought it would be a good idea to put some oil additive in the motor) anyways, the motor was taken apart, cleaned and put back together. Still running. The second was a bike who's wiring harness was fried. (be careful using jumper cables to start your bike) The harness was replaced and all is well.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Nice write-up and pics, thanks.

I was disappointed to see they use a plastic gear for the oil pump. Didn't work so well on the Kawasaki Vulcans. Hopefully these gears are better. Oh well, it only drives the oil pump...

·
Rider
589 Posts
I'm curious to see what this would look like on my 16 DH. The engine wine is so loud I have to wear ear plugs. I can't get sound out of my head. I don't like to listen to music when ride but have had to start so I dont hear the wind. Wine started at about 1700-2300 rpms in 2nd and 3rd gear....now is in every gear. Pull the clutch it's gone. Having a second dealer ride it this week. My preferred dealer tests rides it with a full face helmet and says they dont hear a thing. Wtf!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to do all this analysis and especially the pictures.
Makes me feel much better about my RM, although I have always been told by my dealer they are basically overbuilt. Seems so, looking at your pictures and reading your comments.
Thanks again!

·
Rider
974 Posts
Great post! Thanks- John

1 - 20 of 91 Posts